Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Senator Jeff Merkley's Reply to my email asking him not to support irrational motions

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by Morpheus, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Morpheus

Morpheus Columbia Gorge Anyway, back on the farm.

Dear M,

Thank you for contacting me with your thoughts about events that have recently occurred in Oregon and Connecticut. I have heard from many Oregonians who have shared their thoughts and prayers as we process, both individually and as a nation, what happened and try to heal.

I am deeply saddened by these senseless shootings and the loss of innocent lives. As a parent, I was horrified to learn of these heartbreaking events, and I am at a loss to make sense of it all. Mary and I are holding in our thoughts and prayers the victims, their loved ones, the communities, and all who have been affected by these terrible acts of violence.

The tragedy in Newtown affirms that, as a country, we must no longer accept complacency or the unwillingness to discuss gun violence. Massacres like this have occurred all too often across this country. They raise questions that need thorough examination, including the types of weapons and ammunition, the securing of weapons in the home, the application of background checks, and the accessibility of treatment for mental illness.

I fully support President Obama's call to action to prevent these tragedies from continuing to happen. Furthermore, I plan to work with my colleagues in Congress and engage in productive dialogue to answer the question of what strategies can effectively address the epidemic of gun violence.

Please know that I will keep your views and the memory of the lives lost due to gun violence in mind during these discussions.

Thank you for participating in this national dialogue. I hope you will continue to send your thoughts and observations my way.

All my best,

Jeffrey A. Merkley
    United States Senator

While he didn't really have my vote, he definitely has lost it at this point.

2. JGRuby

JGRuby Portland Oregon New Member

Thanks - good to know - he does not support our most basic rights - its time for him to go and get another senator into office that does.

James Ruby

nwwoodsman and (deleted member) like this.
  3. speeddemon94

speeddemon94 The Rogue Well-Known Member

I'll run

4. wence5

wence5 Vancouver, Washington, United States Active Member

He could have saved time and wrote...............

Dear M,
    You don't know what your talking about, and I plan to do everything in my power to infringe on you rights in the name of safety.

Sincerely,
    Sen. BLA BLA BLA

Oh, good luck getting rid of your party hacks over there in Oregon. And before you return fire, I know we over here in Washington have our own party hacks that we can't get rid of either, so I feel your pain brother.

5. The Redpaw

The Redpaw 45th Parallel Member

Why do we allow the government to grant any infringement of our rights?. In my opinion, as soon as any politician moves to infringe upon our rights, they should immediately be removed from all powers granted.

Period.

They took an Oath, now they waiver on our rights, our livelihoods, and expect us to work and pay taxes to support them?.

Impeachment, sedition, treason, on any politician who promotes agendas against our basic freedoms.

6. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

I wrote both senators (neither responded). I also wrote my representative. Here's his response (much better):

7. revmedia

revmedia Dallas Member

Walden is right on so many things, I wonder how he possibly got elected in OR.

8. locobob

locobob Beaverton, Oregon Well-Known Member

I wrote my Senators and Rep, haven't heard anything back but pretty sure they are all on the wrong side anyhow. Going to do what I can to see that Bonamici loses the next election.

Norm0931 and (deleted member) like this.
  9. wence5

I can answer that for you, he is from EASTERN Oregon where people have some common sense.

10. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

Bend isn't quite as masochistic as they are in Portland. We tried electing a liberal to the state house (Judy Stiegler). It took two years and we corrected the mistake. We are lucky that the liberal Portland yuppies only come over to ski and then go home to vote. Now if only we could have a better influence on them, maybe we could elect a US Senator or Governor who wasn't a moron...

revmedia, fuhr52, USMC1911 and 5 others like this.
  11. wence5

Good luck with that one MountianBear. Same crap over here in Washington. It is very difficult to elect a conservative in both our states because there are too many people feeding at the public trough, so we end up with a good lib in every federal and state office. People will not bite the hand that feeds them, but they are too blind to see what the left has done for us and to us.

12. DMax

DMax Yamhill Well-Known Member

Politicians are not the problem it’s the people that vote them in.

Doctor Doctor it hurts when I do that. Don't do that anymore.

You’re cured

13. gaijinsamurai

gaijinsamurai Beaverton Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

Outside the Portland metro area and Eugene, Oregon is fairly moderate/conservative.

14. Dunerunner

Dunerunner You'll Never Know Well-Known Member

At least you got an answer. I requested a resopnse, but you don't always get what you ask for!

15. nilknarf

nilknarf Beaverton Active Member

Here's the response I got from Bonamici's office:
    How's that for personal service from an engaged representative?

I got NO response at all from letters I wrote to Senator Merkley, Senator Wyden or, of course "our" President.

16. exploregon

exploregon Forest Grove, Oregon Member

This is by far personal response from her. I received the same exact form letter auto response. Also like you, I have yet to receive any type of response from Merkley or Wyden.

17. nilknarf

nilknarf Beaverton Active Member

maybe the letters we send to our "representatives" needs to include this video (also featured on another thread)

[video=youtube;Ooa98FHuaU0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ooa98FHuaU0[/video]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  18. AMT

AMT Vancouver, WA. Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

I'm thinking something more along the lines of:

Battle of Athens (TN) - 1946

This is an interesting bit of history and gives another view for the right to bear arms and government gone wrong. Be sure to watch it to the end and see the actual pictures of that time.

I was completely unaware of this event that took place in Athens, TN. in 1946. I did not know an armed revolt by WWII veterans ever took place during our lifetime. A very sobering video to say the least.

Now the second amendment is a little clearer.

Be sure to see the actual photos at the end showing the plaque describing the event.

Battle-of-Athens

BVB and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Chee-to

Chee-to Oregon Well-Known Member

Merkley is nothing but a tool of the progressive liberal movement and will always vote accordingly...

20. Morpheus

Morpheus Columbia Gorge Anyway, back on the farm.

Well, I don't know about personal service from an engaged representative, it seems like a classic non-response response to me. They didn't take a side either way just said 'I'm reviewing the situation, and will get back to you' Talk about a CYA response.

These people all piss me off.