JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I wasn't able to go to the meeting in person today, and unfortunately overslept a bit...

I logged on at 8:20 to hear the beginning of the hearing on SB 713 (shooting ranges on EFU-zoned land), heard some good testimony from the Oregon Association of Shooting Ranges and others supporting the bill. There were some environmental and farming groups that opposed the bill on the grounds of lead contamination and further reducing land available to farmers. The President of the OASR was then called back up to address the environmental and lead contamination issues. Senator Kruse spoke in favor of the bill, Senator Roblan mentioned that the expansion of the city limits in Coos County had led to a range that was previously located in a rural area to suddenly be inside the city limits, prompting it to close. He also mentioned that the high school in Coos Bay used to have a shooting range and had team members that had gone on to the OSU shooting team as well.

The rest of testimony was on non-gun related bills. They're still waiting for paperwork on all the other bills on the agenda, committee is in recess until 9:30 this morning.

I went back and listened to the part I missed. All bills are to be carried over for tomorrow. SB 696 (some changes to requirements for CHL issuance) was scheduled to be heard, but wasn't for some reason.

Prozanski says that all the gun measures will be heard and acted upon tomorrow.

It's worth noting that the OFF says that the bills have been amended to take into account criticisms they've heard. For instance, the background check bill (SB 700) now allows you to transfer to a "domestic partner" without a background check. The no-carry-in-schools bill (SB 347) allows you to carry on school grounds -- but not inside the building -- while picking up your child.

I read these amendments as attempts to moderate the bills so that they will gain wider acceptance, which could mean Roblan will vote for them. Does anyone know where he stands on these currently?

My gut says that 347 and 700 will pass, especially considering the news on the federal bills which makes it sound like nothing will pass nationally. What do you all think?

It's worth noting that the OFF says that the bills have been amended to take into account criticisms they've heard. For instance, the background check bill (SB 700) now allows you to transfer to a "domestic partner" without a background check. The no-carry-in-schools bill (SB 347) allows you to carry on school grounds -- but not inside the building -- while picking up your child.

I read these amendments as attempts to moderate the bills so that they will gain wider acceptance, which could mean Roblan will vote for them. Does anyone know where he stands on these currently?

My gut says that 347 and 700 will pass, especially considering the news on the federal bills which makes it sound like nothing will pass nationally. What do you all think?

I'm sure that was the intent of the amendments, to make them more palatable for Roblan. Not sure what he's going to do though. We'll know by tomorrow evening!

After the results of the US Senate votes today, and after seeing the Prez's speech condemning it, I wonder if the anti-gun forces in OR are going to be reinvigorated -- just in time for the Judiciary vote?

I think Obama's going to join his new PAC with MAIG's efforts to eliminate guns. I also think today's going to be a rallying cry for anti-gun groups to attack some more on the state level. Sigh.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top