JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is probably as a result of a person down in Salem with a rock quarry letting people shoot on his property. Problem was, those people were apparently shooting across a river and into a residential area.

it does say "when the city or county had notice of the dangerous condition created by discharge of firearms on the property", so I wonder if this means a warning has to be issued first?

As the bills are written, any anti-gunner can complain about an established shooting range to local government (City or County planning department) and then that government entity is liable if anything happens on or around the range. That will make City Hall close down all ranges so fast it will make your head spin. Either that or require all ranges to indemnify government and cover their losses if the City or County gets sued. No insurance company will underwrite that and ranges will close. After decades in Salem you would think that Peter Courtney knows how to write a balanced bill, so he must really want to shut down all ranges. Look for a bill banning shooting on public land coming soon.

Senate President Peter Courtney added SB781 which along with his SB5 will shut down all gun ranges in Oregon

https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2019R1/Downloads/MeasureDocument/SB781/Introduced
Can we finally get the shooting ranges to step up to protect their own arses. I realize some non-profit ranges may have some irs issues or something that prevents them from getting involved in politics but that didn't hold back the church groups from drafting gun ban bills. Tri County Gun Club has a bunch of members who could be rallied to write their legislators on SB781 and SB5. But as far as I know they are mum on the subject like every other anti-gun bill that's come our way. Sooooo frustrating! I am sure there are plenty of TCGC's neighbors who would like to see it shut down for noise reasons alone.

If you belong to or use a smaller for profit range ask them if they can make their customers aware of these bills.

yep. idiots. i know people who had bullets fly thru their kitchen in keizer.

people being negligent are gonna ruin it for us all

Yes, from the Keiser article it sounds like unsafe shooting. Even Rep. Bill Post agrees:

In a letter to Davis,Rep. Bill Post, R-Keizer, wrote, "I am one of most staunch gun supporters in the Oregon Legislative, but that means we must be responsible as well. I have no standing in your county as I represent a different jurisdiction and I can't really do anything other than to ask you to cease this shooting range, as a favor to me and my constituents."

Sounds like they need to improve safety at that location.

FYI, I just searched the Oregon house and senate bills for the word "firearm" and came up with this list:

Source: Oregon Legislative Information System

SENATE BILLS:

SB5 - shooting ranges
SB5 2019 Regular Session - Oregon Legislative Information System

SB87 - age 21
SB87 2019 Regular Session - Oregon Legislative Information System

SB 275 - lock up your guns
SB275 2019 Regular Session - Oregon Legislative Information System

SB 342 - lawfully seized guns to be transferred to Dept of State Lands
SB342 2019 Regular Session - Oregon Legislative Information System

SB 481 - notification to return guns
SB481 2019 Regular Session - Oregon Legislative Information System

SB 501 - permit required to purchase gun
SB501 2019 Regular Session - Oregon Legislative Information System

SB 646 - if in Address Confidentiality Program, exempt from private gun transfer BGC
SB646 2019 Regular Session - Oregon Legislative Information System

SB 697 - transfer of gun to museum exempt from BGC {I'm going to start a museum business. :) }
SB697 2019 Regular Session - Oregon Legislative Information System

SB 781 - local govt liability for failure to regulate shooting on private land
SB781 2019 Regular Session - Oregon Legislative Information System

HOUSE BILLS:

HB 2287 - Allow Firearm Safety to be taught in schools
HB2287 2019 Regular Session - Oregon Legislative Information System

HB 2505 - lock up your guns
HB2505 2019 Regular Session - Oregon Legislative Information System

HB 2546 - credit against personal income tax for BGC fee to transfer firearm
HB2546 2019 Regular Session - Oregon Legislative Information System

HB 2705 - Dept of state police to establish DO NOT SELL LIST online
HB2705 2019 Regular Session - Oregon Legislative Information System

This is your freedom on Democrats. Any questions? :rolleyes:

I wonder why HB 2251 didn't come up?

You might be joking about museum but it could be a real option for some. I am wondering if my cabin innawoods could be a museum and can I aquire weapons off site can I store weapons off site, can i be open to appt only tours? Good find, I will support this Democrat bill.

Museum defined for OR: ORS 358.415 - Definitions for ORS 358.420 to 358.440 - 2017 Oregon Revised Statutes

I can see myself as curator of the 2nd Amendment Museum:) I joke but.....

Inherited guns you don't want sell them to museum. ERPO confiscation immanent loan weapons to museum along with small donation. Have weapon you don't want to sell for 60% at FFL, sell to museum for 70+%. I hope my family is prepared for board duties of nonprofit;)

Last Edited:
Yes, from the Keiser article it sounds like unsafe shooting. Even Rep. Bill Post agrees:

In a letter to Davis,Rep. Bill Post, R-Keizer, wrote, "I am one of most staunch gun supporters in the Oregon Legislative, but that means we must be responsible as well. I have no standing in your county as I represent a different jurisdiction and I can't really do anything other than to ask you to cease this shooting range, as a favor to me and my constituents."

FYI, I just searched the Oregon house and senate bills for the word "firearm" and came up with this list:

SENATE BILLS:

SB5 - shooting ranges

SB87 - age 21

SB 646 - if in Address Confidentiality Program, exempt from private gun transfer BGC

SB 697 - transfer of gun to museum exempt from BGC {I'm going to start a museum business. :) }

HOUSE BILLS:

SENATE BILLS:

SB5 - shooting ranges

SB87 - age 21

HOUSE BILLS:

Regarding SB 697, It seems like an online museum would be a great option. The most difficult part of this would be dealing with the non profit structure. Imagine if you had a bunch of gun museums around. You could trade, buy, sell, loan, etc to each other's museums with no background checks. I am really liking this concept. I don't see any downside to this bill, does anybody else?

Edit: I can envision some tax advantages as well.

Last Edited:
Senate President Peter Courtney added SB781 which along with his SB5 will shut down all gun ranges in Oregon

Allows injured person to bring civil action against city or county that fails to regulate discharge of firearms on private property after having notice of dangerous condition.

Removes prohibition on local government regulation relating to certain areas designed and built for purpose of target shooting.

https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2019R1/Downloads/MeasureDocument/SB781/Introduced
Wouldn't they already have that right, the cities and county get sued for everything anyways. And what's with all the exemptions, where else would people be shooting that weren't exempted in the bills:
SECTION 2. ORS 166.171 is amended to read:
166.171. (1) A county may adopt ordinances to regulate, restrict or prohibit the discharge of
firearms within their boundaries.
(2) Ordinances adopted under subsection (1) of this section may not apply to or affect:
(a) A person discharging a firearm in the lawful defense of person or property.
(b) A person discharging a firearm in the course of lawful hunting.
(c) A landowner and guests of the landowner discharging a firearm, when the discharge will not
endanger adjacent persons or property.
[(d) A person discharging a firearm on a public or private shooting range, shooting gallery or
other area designed and built for the purpose of target shooting.]
[(e)] (d) A person discharging a firearm in the course of target shooting on public land that is
not inside an urban growth boundary or the boundary of a city, if the discharge will not endanger
persons or property.
[(f)] (e) An employee of the United States Department of Agriculture, acting within the scope
of employment, discharging a firearm in the course of the lawful taking of wildlife.

I guess if you were shooting on public land that is inside the UGB you would be subject to this law but I think you would be subject to being sued anyways and possibly charged criminally too.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads