JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I don't have many guns on my need list as of lately. One on the want list is a good semi auto "tacticool" shotgun.

I own one semi, but it is a hunting variety.

I'm thinking more along the lines of max ammo capacity and max function.

I'm not truly a fan of pistol grips unless it is the AK platform. Which is on the table for this want shotgun.

There are tons on the market right now. Mossberg, Remington, Stoeger, etc.

I've been eyeballing the less expensive Chinese Saiga clones, and there is one now with a forged bolt and trunion at $500, but there are also budget minded guns like the Stoeger M3K. I'm not necessarily limited to a price, so those that have Benelli's please post up.

So...

What is your favorite semi auto, and why?

I'll boil it down to my favorite gas system...without a good one, you don't have much of an autoloader.
Beretta.
The original version is awesome (me have) and now they have a new version.
So I would say anything based on the Beretta gas system.

For a shot Gun, the Winchester SX3 is about as slick as it gets. The Super Black Eagel is also one of the most respected hunting shotguns out there! The Beretta A390 is a fantastic shotgun but it' a bit finicky and hard to field strip and clean! Remington 1100 series, what's not to love, and the 11-87 just improved on what was already perfection!
For a semi auto hunting rifle, always the first thought is the Browning BAR and the Benelli R-1 derivative, been getting it done since the 1950s and still looks and feels like a proper hunting rifle should! The Remington Mod 8/81 are timeless classics, but the only one worth having now days is in a rebarrel to .308 or an origional .35 Rem. Then there is always a M-1 Garand or a M-1A, both are excelent hunting rifles that would certainly not let you down as long as you did your part!:)

I don't have many guns on my need list as of lately. One on the want list is a good semi auto "tacticool" shotgun.

I own one semi, but it is a hunting variety.

I'm thinking more along the lines of max ammo capacity and max function.

I'm not truly a fan of pistol grips unless it is the AK platform. Which is on the table for this want shotgun.

There are tons on the market right now. Mossberg, Remington, Stoeger, etc.

I've been eyeballing the less expensive Chinese Saiga clones, and there is one now with a forged bolt and trunion at $500, but there are also budget minded guns like the Stoeger M3K. I'm not necessarily limited to a price, so those that have Benelli's please post up.

So...

What is your favorite semi auto, and why?

With the current market, Moss 930. I long ago went with PCC's for "home use" but every time I look at these I want one. Price point is nice, I have yet to see a bad review of them, not to mention I like the way Mossberg gave Dicks the middle finger.

I'll boil it down to my favorite gas system...without a good one, you don't have much of an autoloader.
Beretta.
The original version is awesome (me have) and now they have a new version.
So I would say anything based on the Beretta gas system.

I don't think my Dad knew what he was buying, I know I didn't, when he got a Beretta with gold inlay "duck hunting scene" auto loader for $225.00 in 1995. The story is the guy was in desperate need of a car and my Dad worked a deal with him on the car. He sold cars at a dealer at the time.

Anyways, finest shooting shotgun I've ever shot. It's actually really light, in between my Rem 870 and Ithaca 37 Featherweight. I should probably figure it out but I figure it was made in the late 80's.

Mossberg 930. Solid, reliable, just an all around great shotgun, but then, I'm a Mossy fan to begin with. If Jerry Miculek will compete with them, they've got to be worth considering ;) Mine is one of the JM Pro models.

Mossberg 930. Solid, reliable, just an all around great shotgun, but then, I'm a Mossy fan to begin with. If Jerry Miculek will compete with them, they've got to be worth considering ;) Mine is one of the JM Pro models.
+1 for the Mossberg 930!

The JM Pro series is ready to go right out of the box. Watch some of Jerry Miculek's videos to see what they're capable of.

Mossberg 930™ JM Pro Series | O.F. Mossberg & Sons

If you'd like to try one out, just let me know! :s0155:

*Edit*

If max capacity is what you want:

Last Edited:
Had a inexpensive Mossberg pump but had decided to look for a semi-auto. Looked at many different models but in the end selected the Beretta 1301 Tactical. The new Blink gas system recycles 36% than the competition. Light and easy to use. Not inexpensive ($950) but definitely a really nice semi-auto shotgun.

I, too, am looking for a tactical type semi 12ga, but absolutely hate the pistol grips found on so many of them (like the Benelli M4). Just a standard buttstock for me.

The Stoeger M3K has the Benelli-type action for a cheaper price...

I cannot say we have any self-loading shotgun at the present. All ours are pumps or SXSs. Some are regular Title I, while others papered Title II.

One automatic I had for years, but sold off not too long ago, was the Ithaca Mag-10 in 10-gauge (3½ inch chamber). I had a very long barrel for hunting and a short, ported, barrel (about 22") just because. However, as I no longer have the time to to use it to hunt, it would free up a slot in the safe, and it was the only gun in 10, I sold it off. Still, it was a good scattergun, that would put out quite a bit of lead.

mag10nw-jpg.jpg

The barrel cycles back on the Browning A5 design. Not saying it's best but kinda cool. And reliable.

But there's no better sound than the bolt slamming forward on that thing to make an intruder immediately drop a load in his shorts. I'll try to get pics up of mine tomorrow.

Bought a "plain-Jane" 18.5" M930 that held 5+1 rounds (5+2 "ghost loaded")
37D3B042-AF1C-4E08-813F-E26A8E24216A.jpeg

Added a heat shield, mag-tube extension (w/ spring and enhanced follower), bayonet lug, and tritium Mepro front sight bead....
5D0DA8EC-0CF5-4BE0-A162-30E4AA68E156.jpeg 453C04F2-BC70-4D71-9EC0-14505DF60857.jpeg

Here it is now (holds 7+2 rounds "ghost loaded"), 2" shorter than my "fleet" of 20.5" M500's (that hold 7+1 rounds) and is über reliable with heavy and light loads. It's now a true fighting shotgun. 67C63473-8B6A-42CE-B9D2-E25D6FBF9772.jpeg

Saiga 12 with 10 round stick mag or 20 round drum if you want to be serious.

Friend recently bought the mossberg 930 JM model, seems pretty sweet, I wouldn't mind owning one of those either, but when I pick up the Saiga 12 with a 10 round stick mag it brings a smile to my face. Personally I have never had an issue with it but I know they can vary in their reliability.

I have used a Winchester SX3 semi for trap and those seem great, but for 'self defense' shotguns a shorter barrel is preferred for me.

But there's no better sound than the bolt slamming forward on that thing to make an intruder immediately drop a load in his shorts. I'll try to get pics up of mine tomorrow.
Pics, as promised. I picked this up at a LGS while on leave from basic/AIT, many moons ago. What drew me to it was the short barrel and the Ordnance stamps on the barrel and receiver. I've shot quite a bit of skeet with it. They will definitely have to pry this one from my cold dead hands.

IMG_20180522_132240.jpg IMG_20180522_132214.jpg

Pics, as promised. I picked this up at a LGS while on leave from basic/AIT, many moons ago. What drew me to it was the short barrel and the Ordnance stamps on the barrel and receiver. I've shot quite a bit of skeet with it. They will definitely have to pry this one from my cold dead hands.

View attachment 462335 View attachment 462336

I grew up with a Savage version, Kurt Cobain allegedly killed himself with a Remington model 11. I always thought the humpbacks were cool guns.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews