JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Have usually hiked with 6 shot 357 6 or 8" barrel while hiking in wilderness areas with my two dogs, Airedale and Standard Schnauzer, both dogs armed with bear bells; but recent news of people encounters with packs of wolves; I am rethinking of switching to high capacity 9mm or 40 caliber semi-auto with 4-5 inch barrels. What do you think or have recommendations?

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps one of them there 8 round .357 magnum revolvers....

Or maybe one of them 14 round .45 ACP automatic pistols...

Or how about one of them there AR-15 pistols in 5.56...

Honestly, if wolves are the main concern, 9mm or .40 would work, like a Glock 19
Or 23 with a few extra mags...

I'm of the opinion that if a pack of wolfs or feral dogs are around then your best bet is to put one down - hopefully the leader of the pack - and the rest of the pack will be busy consuming that snack. Many moons ago I was involved in a hunt to reduce the feral dog problem. What worked out best was to put one down and then nail the others as they were snacked.

I'm of the opinion that if a pack of wolfs or feral dogs are around then your best bet is to put one down - hopefully the leader of the pack - and the rest of the pack will be busy consuming that snack. Many moons ago I was involved in a hunt to reduce the feral dog problem. What worked out best was to put one down and then nail the others as they were snacked.
Sounds like the orcs over by Rivendale.

Your subject says "wolf/cougar" but your posting speaks of bears (ie bear bells). Do you need bear protection? Because it matters.

If bears are a factor, 10mm is probably my minimum requirement in a semi auto. Perhaps 460 Roland but I don't know enough about the cartridge.

For wolf or cougar I'd still like to have 10mm but I'd still go if I only had 9mm.

Dogs and cats are just like rats...I mean people, all are thin skinned animals so whatever you carry on the street will get the job. If you're fishing in brownie's backyard go for horsepower over firepower.

During the days when I did a lot of hiking, I, too, was accompanied by a dog. And one of the things my woods carry gun had to be able to do is protect the dog in the sort of scenario you are imagining. A pack of feral dogs or coyotes or wolves. Or if dog gets into it with a bear to protect me, and I need to take out bear to rescue dog. For these kind of situations one might need to take down feral dogs, coyotes or wolves, or bears at 50 yards or more. The same sorts of shots you need to be able to do if hunting deer or black bear. This usually means quality revolvers. The same guns handgun hunters use on such animals. That is, revolvers in .357 and higher. (9mm and 40 really don't have much power at 50 yards. If you are determined to go semiauto, I would suggest 10mm.)

So my ideal woods carry gun was always a high quality full size revolver. 6 inch barrel was my favorite because it is easy for me to shoot one handed if needed, and with a configuration that complements the gun, I can carry it concealed. I go for 6 inch rather than longer because I can sit down with a 6 or 6.5 inch gun without removing gun belt, but not with 7.5 or longer. .357mag or .44mag. Sw 686, sw 629, ruger security6 .357, Colt Anaconda .44 all worked fine for me in that role.

You say you've been carrying a 6 or 8inch .357. Assuming this is a high quality gun suitable for handgun hunting, it would really be hard to beat for the canids. Add some speedloaders. And kill first whatever is the imminent threat plus the leader. You probably only need to eliminate two or three in a pack of canids, if that many. If you are concerned about bears, consider upgrading to a 629.

Last Edited:
But surely not high capacity clipazines, because nobody needs more than 5 rounds according to Penny O. of Ceasefire Oregon. I mean, it's just common sense, right?

Penny O, seems to be one of the more Left Racist out there, comments she has made in the past make it clear.
She is another of these David Hog types, says everything wrong, and works to convince everyone she is right.

On Topic.
Depends on the shooters experience, easy enough to empty six rounds in a panic and not hit a damn thing at all.
I think 200gr 357 revolver just because the reliability factor, if it was wolves a semi may work better, bring both but Id stay around 4" those long barrels tend to get hung up when in a hurry.

Wolves are not going to hang around after the first blast of 357 or 44 mag goes off or am I wrong? If I have my two dogs with me that would be unlikely. I am shooting 357 158 gr soft point bullets.

Wolves are not going to hang around after the first blast of 357 or 44 mag goes off or am I wrong? If I have my two dogs with me that would be unlikely. I am shooting 357 158 gr soft point bullets.

It tends to depend on the alpha dogs impact on the pack its self, if they have a plan and your in it they may not move back more then a couple yards to reevaluate. A lone wolf or two perhaps, but wolves are in their pack to preserve the conditions in support. Loud noise may chase them off and also depends on how hungry they are, many a dog has become a meal out there.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top