JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think the real issue here was a choice between a revolver vs an semi-auto as primary choice not so much the caliber.

I've always been an advocate for a double-action revolver in a large caliber for grizzly country due to the real world bear attacks I've read about. Carried in a chest rig, they offer the best chance of survival and deployment during a griz attack in heavy cover when you only have time to get off one or two shots, or when the bear is on top of you and you are trying to get to your gun and just need to be able to pull the trigger without worrying about having to thumb the hammer back on a single-action, or the gun not firing because the slide is pushed back due to the muzzle being pressed against the bear.

But for wolf packs? Cougars? The OP's pets are more likely to be the intended victim than he is.

I carry a Glock G29 10mm with a 15-round G20 magazine and X-Grip adapter in wolf/cougar/black bear country. :s0092:

We're talking two legged and 4 legged non-grizzly critters, so why not carry what you can deploy the fastest and shoot the most accurate.
Even a 9 mm with reasonable mag capacity, in a holster you're used to drawing from, topped off with Buffalo Bore +P+ 124 gr. @ 1298 fps with another mag on the belt = a well armed hiker for said critters.

If that won't do the job, suggest finding another place to hike..

A wolf or cougar isn't terribly large and I would consider a full house 185-230gr hollow point out of 4 1/4 or 5" 1911 to be plenty powerful. Because there may be more than one wolf or an extremely agile cougar I like the idea of a few extra rounds and potentially quicker follow up shots of the semi auto vs. a revolver.
I'd carry my Commander.

This was three months before I bought my S&W Model 69.... (5 shot, 44 Mag) It doesn't "pack" as well as my Commander, but it often gets carried anyway!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top