Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Semi-auto vs. Revolver 4 IWB: I did a doodle.

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by PlayboyPenguin, Mar 3, 2011.

1. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin Pacific Northwest Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

I did a doodle "of my pants" that is...not to be confused with doing a diddle "in my pants." Which I hope is still a few years out. :D

After a few days of having gone back to a DA revolver for my EDC I feel a need to express one thing. A person can argue about capacity and caliber all the want but one thing is not up for discussion as far as I am concerned. That thing is comfort.

I have never carried a revolver on any regular basis since I started carrying IWB. When I first started carrying I could not stand IWB and it took me years to figure out how to do it properly. So this is the first time I have ever carried a revolver in this manner. It is also the first time I have carried a revolver with my more shapely 44 year old figure. :)

Like it or not I have a few more man curves than I used to have (see A.). These curves seem to lend themselves more to the shape of the revolver. Even though the revolver is thicker overall the smaller tapered barrel and and dropped down grip shape make it fit into my curves much better (see B.). With a semi-auto the width is continuous and the grip is more aligned with the slide. That causes me a couple of pressure points at the top and bottom of the gun (see C.). The one that bothers me most often is the rubbing at the muzzle end.

Anyone else blessed with similar man curves these days who has found the same to be true?

PS: The doodle does not show the guns inside my waistband so that you can see the gun shape and how it conforms to my curves better. :)

mancurves.jpg

2. Phillyfan

Phillyfan Oregon City, Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

If only the bulge above my beltline were that small!

3. PlayboyPenguin

I should add a disclaimer that states "All things pictured not to scale." :)

4. Chipperxd

Chipperxd Buffalo Active Member

I guess it pays to be a skinny Asian guy. never had that problem you are having with IWB carry with Semis

5. Phillyfan

Phillyfan Oregon City, Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Well, the scale seems to be part of the problem. Damn thing keeps giving me bigger numbers! If I could diet as well as I shoot......................well, honestly, I'd still be fat, but maybe I'd be having more fun.

6. zane

zane Vancouver, WA Member

Just a thought here...

What position do you carry in? The pictures show a 3 o'clock position which would definitely favor a contoured gun such as the revolver. I guess your "figure" may be similar in a 4 or 4:30 position too, but for me I can definitely tell a difference between how a gun feels at 3, 3:30, 4 and 4:30 positions.

4 o'clock happens to be my preferred carry position since I'm a skinny guy and this minimizes the difference is width when looking at me head-on or from behind. Something looks wrong when my belt sticks out and extra inch on one side...

7. PlayboyPenguin

I carry between 3-4 o'clock depending on the gun. It does not really make much difference on my frame. My muffin top goes back a bit.

8. zane

zane Vancouver, WA Member

That's what I figured. :D

First thing I think of whenever I hear "Muffin Top"......

30 Rock - Jack-Tor - Highlight 2 - Video - NBC.com

9. MA Duce

MA Duce Central Oregon Well-Known Member

I guess this proves one thing:.......God carries a revolver. :thumbup:

10. elsullo

elsullo Portland Oregon New Member

Yup, I have had a belt "groove" in my flab all of my life, and it's a perfect and secure place for a revolver cylinder to lodge, held down by the belt. Most beer-loving men will continuously add girth over time, yet replace their belts only when absolutely necessary, hence the useful flab groove for a revolver. Elsewhere I mentioned the wonderful Uncle Mike's Combat Grip, shaped like a slender banana which hooks OVER the belt, allowing secure carry without any holster...............................elsullo