JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Yesterday I picked up a Taurus 809C 9m brand spankin' new out of the box. First semi auto handgun I've owned. Bought a box of PMC 115gr fmj's to go with it. Cleaned it last night. Put 30 rounds through it tonight. First shot went bang. Second shot didn't. The slide didn't return all the way. This happened almost every other round. The last 6 rounds went off without a hitch but I'm not sure what to expect next time. Could this be poor cleaning on my part before shooting, just needing a break in period, the ammo or likely mechanical? The picture is about the same position it was in when I was out shooting.

Sounds like a magazine problem maybe? If the gun came with 2 mags did you try the other one with the same results? I would have thought that it was grease, dirt or grime in the chamber, but you said you cleaned it right? Take it back to where you bought it from, maybe they can help you out or fix it or replace it or something....

Welcome to the wonderful world of Taurus ownership! The good news is that Taurus will fix the problem for you, more likely than not free of charge. The problem is you'll be without your gun for a few weeks.

What happens when you move the slide on the rails without barrel or recoil spring installed?

Same when you add the barrel but no spring?

Cycle the slide as you progressively reassemble the pistol and see what item added causes it to stick. Look for polished spots.

With issues like this a plain old sharpie pen can be a big help. Blacken any light colored places, cycle the slide several times, and then see what gets polished.

It can be something as simple as some remaining gunk in the lockup area of the barrel, breech end.

I knew that was coming sooner or later. I own a few Taurus revolvers. My Taurus .357mag is a great gun and ridiculously accurate with the right ammo. Guess some of their semi autos are a different story

I've owned several as well. When they're good, they're great! On occasion, and unfortunately, its at a slightly higher rate than other guns (I've spent enough time as a both a gun salesman and gunsmith to be confident in that statement), the guns are just lemons from the factory. Like I said, the good news is Taurus will take care of you.

Did you check the ammo, I've found some new pistols are finicky with ammo. Pull the barrel, and drop in some cartridges into the chamber, see if they seat correctly.

I have an XD that would do that with some of my reloads. Echo what k7grc said and disassemble the pistol, use the barrel as a chamber check on the ammo you're going to fire. They should at drop in freely and completely. If not, you've got a tight chamber and could put a tiny little bit of flitz on a chamber / bore brush with a patch wrapped around it. Or just shoot it more to break in.

~Mitch

Did you check the ammo, I've found some new pistols are finicky with ammo. Pull the barrel, and drop in some cartridges into the chamber, see if they seat correctly.

Ditto. I had the exact same problem first time out with my CZ75b and some HSM factory reloads. Tried a few other brands and haven't had a single hitch since.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top