Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Semi auto shotgun and ammo - help

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by mouse, Oct 27, 2012.

1. mouse

mouse Pacific Northwest Active Member

I just received my FN SLP. MMMMMMM! It sure is nice. I wont have a chance to test her out for a while, but I would like to get some bulk ammo for the heck of it. I suppose the best route to take would be to try a little of everything and see what the shotgun likes, but I really want to get my hands on at least 500 rounds of 00 buck just to have on hand. This guy lives close to me so shipping is pretty cheap, what do you think is the best of the bunch. Remington versus Rio Royal versus Federal 00 buck. I'm not familiar with shotgun ammo, so I would appreciate the advice. The Rio Royal seems to be the cheapest, but I also want quality. thanks guys!
    Shotgun Ammunition for Sale at Surplusammo.com

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  2. coop44

coop44 Tacoma ,WA Well-Known Member

running wolf or other cheapo ammo in your FN is akin to putting KumHo tires on your Ferrari.

3. mouse

What about the other two? Any good? Do you have any ammo recommendations? I'm new to the shotgun world. thanks. :)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  4. jmurray192

jmurray192 wilsonville oregon Active Member

If im not mistaken you can pick up that same box of rio for 1.99 at aim. Seems way over priced

5. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Shotgun ammo is generally less than quality rifle and handgun ammo so why not use Remington, Winchester or Federal. You could not pay me take wolf ammo of any type!

6. mouse

Thanks for the Tip!

7. Skang

Skang WA Well-Known Member

I personally recommend Federal Premium 9 Pellets - 00 Buck Vital-Shok with FLITECONTROL / #PFC154 00

8. coop44

coop44 Tacoma ,WA Well-Known Member

federal or winchester are good choices, I prefer winchester AA

9. Flopsweat

Flopsweat Slightly right of center Well-Known Member

If you just want it to have it, buy the cheapest you can find or whatever brand you think will look good on a shelf. No telling whether you and the gun will both like it until you actually try it.

10. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

I bought a case (4 ~ 250 ct sub cases) of the S & B 12 pellet 00 buck and my SLP seems to dig it. For slugs I mostly use my hand cast handloads

For target shooting I use the Remington hi brass duck loads when I find them on sale at big 5, then reload them into my slugs

11. chemist

chemist Beaverton OR Well-Known Member

+1 for the S&B 12-pellet 00. It's a great value.

12. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

Plus you get 3 to 4 extra 00 pellets vs most 00 shells. The powder is a bit stinky but I bet most will never notice it if they are in a fight. The bad guys will notice those extra pellets :cool: