Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Semi-auto problems

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by durango#95, Aug 6, 2009.

1. durango#95

durango#95 Medford New Member

OK, I'm wondering if it is just me here.
    Semi-auto guns I have owned:
    Yugo SKS
    Jennings .22LR
    HiPoint .380
    HiPoint 9mm Carbine
    Ruger P95
    Glock 19
    Ruger Mini 30
    Moss. Plinkster .22LR
    Taurus PT 145 Mil. Pro.
    Taurus PT 24/7 OSS 45DS
    FEG 63 (Mak. knock off)
    Armscor 45
    Jimenez .380
    S&W Sigma .40VE

Out of these guns, the ones that just flat out worked. No matter the ammo. No matter the conditions, no matter how dirty:
    HiPoint .380
    Ruger P95
    Glock 19
    Jimenez .380

So is it just me? Or are the majority of semi-auto fire arms prone to endless problems with feeding, firing, ejecting, and feeding the next round?!? I thought that was the whole idea of a semi-auto, to self load and be ready to fire the next time you pull the trigger.
    1st hand experience, the ONLY other guns I know of that run flawlessly are my room mates AK, and his XD .40.
    Every other auto loader gun I have been around my whole life has had problems of one kind or another.
    I don't get it, how hard can it be? If HiPoint can get it right, with a $79.95 gun I got new 7 years ago, that has gone BANG EVERY TIME, after well over 2000 rounds through it, (and been cleaned at least twice that I can remember) with everything from Wolf to Hydrashocks through it. How hard can it be:confused::confused::confused:

So IS it just me? Or is problems just the price you pay to have an auto loader?

2. NoAim

NoAim Hillsboro, OR Active Member

Looking at that list...you need to quit buying cheap stuff.

3. Frog

Frog Vancouver, Washington Member

Go Sig!

To **** and back reliability!

Frog.

4. kevlar

kevlar Mt.Angel Active Member

None of my glocks sigs or hk or kimber has ever failed to fire
    i keep them all clean and ready to rock and feed them quality ammo
    its not the gun its how you take care of it
    cant run your car without oil

5. NK777

NK777 West of Portland Member

I have only owned one semi-automatic that every gave me any grief in my entire life and I sent it back to the manufacture for warantee repair. Either you are unlucky or you don't clean and lube well or maybe often enough. I've owned Taurus's, BUL's, a Rock Island, Rugers, and a Siaga 308 in Semi-Auto's. Only issue I've had was with the BUL and they fixed it under warantee. If it's not do to neglect on your part consider sending them back to the manufacture under warrantee next time.

I personally wouldn't buy into all the hype the cult brand names and their owners spout myself. (Glock, Sig, FN, Kimber, etc., etc.) I'm sure they are fine weapons boys but they honestly are not the only companies that know how to make accurate reliable firearms.

6. candyman

candyman Scappoose, OR Active Member

+2

7. motoman98

motoman98 Gresham, OR Active Member

In over 20 yrs of ownership, I've NEVER had a Sig centerfire fail to fire, and rarely cleaned. ....Just keep buying 'em.

8. NK777

Truely an amazing tail... :rolleyes: I've never owned a Sig but I have seen them fail on a number of occassions and they were well maintained guns, cleaned and lubed after every shooting session.

Next time I see one fail I'll be sure to act shocked and loudly say "Woe! To **** and back reliability huh? Amazing! Your gun most be 1 in a million" :D

Maybe I should change my name to 1911 guy and spout "John Browning designed the perfect pistol and all other designs are crap in comparison. John Browning was a genious!"

motoman98 don't take this personally I'm glad you like your Sig's they are well built firearms but all others are not crap. Ford is not the only company that builds good trucks, Toyota is not the only company that makes good cars, etc. etc. etc. Brand loyalty to that extent is kind of foolish. All companies have their bad models, their lemons, their poor designs.

9. Gunner2007

Gunner2007 Albany Member

That is exactly what I was thinking. I will not own a Jennings after my experience with one of their 22's. Hi-point, well, is just a doorstop. It's a "you get what you pay for" hobby. Spend $400 to $500 and up for a handgun, and you should see the problems go away for the most part.

10. durango#95

I paid more than that for the Taurus 24/7 (New), and that was one of the worst ones. I just don't think that all autos should require only the best ammo to run. My Glock, Ruger, and HiPoint could not care less what I feed them, they just flat out run.
    I keep all but the HiPoint .380 clean and lubed all the time.
    I have no problems at all with 2 of the cheapest "POS" guns on the list. So the "You get what you pay for" has me wondering.
    I am glad to hear that it's just bad luck on my part tho, now I just need to figure out how to change my luck:eek:

11. krazed

krazed Yamhill Member

Throwing more $$$ at a firearm might seem like the answer and you will get different results. Maybe more rounds between cleaning or more types of ammo will work, etc. What ever you do I would recommend taking youself out of the equation. CLEAN THE GUN! Learn all about it. :thumbup:
    Any firearm you have is a tool. When you arrive at the "job site" and your tool doesn't work, you either go home(run) or lose(get hurt). :(

Luck: The harder you work the luckier you get!

12. NoAim

Easy...you got lucky.

I've owned a bunch of guns that run pretty well. When in their factory specs I've had:

- Glock 22, Glock 21 (ran all the time)

- STI Spartan 1911 (ran all the time)

- H&K USP .40, H&K USP .45 (ran all the time, except for the .40 with some really anemic reloads)

- XDm .40, XD45 (ran all the time)

- Para double stack 1911 (from the factory, the extractor was wrongly adjusted. Returned for warranty repair, have not retested yet).

- Ruger 22/45 MkIII (ran all the time on high velocuty ammo)

- Buckmark #1, #2, #4 (ran all the time except for Rem Golden Bullets)

- Buckmark #3 (kind of spotty with HV ammo. I need to fix that)

- CZ Kadet (ran all the time on high velocity ammo)

- WASR-10, Arsenal 107 (jammed about once every 2 mags)

- Saiga 12 (both ran all the time)

- Remington 11-87 (runs all the time)

- Remington 1100 (have had some cycling issues with really cheap birdshot in cold weather...common issue)

- Kahr CW40 (ran all the time)

- H&K P2000SK (ran all the time)

- Various ARs (if unmodified, all have run all the time, except for one with some overgassing issues that I resolved with an H-Buffer).

- SKS, Yugo (ran all the time)

- FN57 (so far it has run all the time, except for one particular mag. ALthough that mag has an aftermarket 10rd extension).

13. spengo

spengo GLORIOUS CASCADIA Active Member

I've never had my AR-15 jam even once, and I sometimes even feed it nasty steel cased slavic ammunition. I have a 10/22 that jams all the time if I don't clean it every 500rds or so though.

14. motoman98

motoman98 Gresham, OR Active Member

Hey NK77, interesting about your take on my post.
    I NEVER said other brands were crap.
    Since I own many pistols from many makers, I am sharing MY experiences.
    Oh and although I really do like the 1911, and have several, seems If you don't buy the ones with the big $ tags: many of them seem to need work after purchase, That is triggers, feeding, ejection: MY experience. Even some spendy ones like help.
    Not so, with 10 Sigs.
    Not so with 2 XDs, but no long time experience.
    Not so with older S&W's.
    Not so with IMI
    Not so with Tanfoglio in steel
    Not so with AK
    Not so with SKS
    Never bought a Taurus, autoloader.
    Only have one Glock, not sure I "like" it.
    Just My experiences!

15. NK777

You did and you didn't all at the same time. You didn't literally say that nope and I didn't say you did. Brand loyalty is fine to an extent. My point is that I favor 1911's but I understand they are not the only good choice out there. In other words I don't have brand or model tunnel vision. Are my 1911's my preferred gun to shoot? Absolutely but I know they aren't for everybody and I refuse to tout the cult follower mantra associated with them because well doing so makes you look like a mislead sheep programed to ignore all reason contrary to your own tunnel vision belief system.

I am glad that you have had such good luck with SIG's. I'm also glad to see that you have some positive experience with other brands and models. It is refreshing to know you haven't fallen victim to total brand tunnel vision.

As for me I am fairly thrifty with my gun purchases but I don't buy junk typically. Where as I don't think I'd own a Jennings for example I have or do own many of the brands listed in this thread and have had very good luck with them. People love to tout how Taurus's are crap for example but that hasn't been my experience with them at all.

16. NK777

Weird! This was a double post for some reason...

17. durango#95

So.........
    10 out of 19 were/are 100%
    Better than my #'s, but still not that great either. More and more it's looking like Glocks are in general a very reliable gun. (responses here and elsewhere)
    I must say that my P95 has impressed the heck out of me as well. So what I am starting to wonder is this: Are we just kidding our selves about the reliablity of our guns? A week ago, if some one had asked me what I am asking now, I don't think that the realazation that I have now would have been my answer.

Think I need an AK:) I have NEVER seen ANY AK ever have any issue at all, and I have been around quite a few.

18. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

You might want to do a recount, your numbers they aren't even close to accurate.

By your own claims you have 4 out of 14 guns running 100% =off the top of my head that's roughly 28% success

By Noaims claims
    He has a minimum of 24 and likely as high as 30 guns and only 5 problems making 19 to 25 of the guns 100% problem free or roughly 80% success rate.

Verdict your cheap guns = fail 3 times as often as Expensive guns!

19. NoAim

And The Para and Five Seven are now fixed. The Five Seven aftermarket 10rd mag extension was to blame.

And yeah...that math thing. Read it again. 18 of 24 ran perfectly as I received them (assuming I've only had 1 AR, hehe).

Of course the AKs that were jamming (contrary to your other statement) I got rid of and will never buy again. And now the Para is fixed, and the FN57 was due to the mag (now fixed). So now...20 of 22?

20. durango#95

You are right! My math was all wet:eek: I read your post earlier in the day, and then came back later to reply and did not read it all again, my bad. But I don't count guns with ammo restrictions on them as 100% either. Every rule has it's exception, but I think that an auto loader should be able to run well on ANY factory ammo to be 100%