JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It never ceases to amaze me the number of people who put used weapons up for sale can't seem to be bothered to clean it. Recently I purchased a used CZ 75 from a local GS. It was in good shape other than some scratches in the bluing around the slide lock lever; it looked like he'd used a flat-blade screwdriver.

Anyway, I disassembled it as I do with every other purchase I have made and the thing was filthy with GSR. The barrel looked clean but the frame, spring and slide were disgusting, as if the original owner had fired it, didn't like it and traded it off. I've noticed this same phenomena at gun shows with sellers offering weapons for premium used prices but the bores are sewer pipes. Sure a little scrubbing can correct it but...c'mon...have you no pride?

Jim

Same thing buying used guns at local shops, when I'm considering a used gun I often clean it during the inspection process. Some folks hate to clean guns, I for one really enjoy it. Gary

Same thing buying used guns at local shops, when I'm considering a used gun I often clean it during the inspection process. Some folks hate to clean guns, I for one really enjoy it. Gary

Gary, Like you I don't mind cleaning the gun either since it is the best way to learn about your weapon. I would think, however, one would want to get the best possible price out of their trade/sale. It's like trying to sell a used car and you say " I'm selling the car, why clean the 3 years worth of trash out of the backseat."

Jim

I'd be happy just finding a used CZ-75. They aren't all that plentiful, and people don't tend to let them go. I just paid $475 for a NIB CZ-75BD from my LGS and they hadn't seen any for months until this one showed up.

Clean that baby up and shoot it.

Thirtycal

Maybe they are scared of shooting themselves, or don't know how...
Doesn't wash. You Tube videos are all over the place dealing with any gun you can name. That's how I found out how to break down the CZ as well as my Nagant, Mosins, and Mausers. I think the bottom line is laziness. Every gun I've sold or traded has been meticulously cleaned and I told the buyer everything which I had done to it and what to expect. I'd expect to receive a clean weapon when I pay cash for it (unless I know before hand that it's been encased in Cosmoline for the last 50 years) and I don't release a filthy weapon to a buyer. Maybe I'm just quirky that way. :)
~Jim

I have always cleaned my guns after shooting and especially before selling or trading. I have found at least one that I traded for which didn't appear to have been cleaned if ever.

I'd be happy just finding a used CZ-75. They aren't all that plentiful, and people don't tend to let them go. I just paid $475 for a NIB CZ-75BD from my LGS and they hadn't seen any for months until this one showed up.

Clean that baby up and shoot it.

Thirtycal

I know what you mean, Thirtycal. I had the choice between a CZ 75B stainless from a local pawn shop for $660 or the CZ75 Compact I purchased for $450. Funds are limited for me so I went with the compact. It is now cleaned, oiled and ready to go. I do plan to shoot it when the weather improves up on Skullcrusher Ranch. :gun08:
~ Jim

I've bought several guns that looked like they havent seen daylight in years, dustballs and whatnot covering them. It lets me know that the seller isnt attached to the gun and the price will most likely be way more negotiable. Usually just mentioning that it needs cleaned starts the price coming down.

Weird, I clean my firearms within hours of use when i get home.

A: I care about my firearms like I do my kids and my vehicles.

B: At 4 a.m. do not want a misfire or hangfire cause I was a lazy A**!

I do the same, it's part of my day of shooting. I recently bought a used rifle and it was filthy, took a lot of work but as said above by someone, it's a good way to learn the hardware. I was at a 3 gun comp last year and talked to a guy that had issues with his shoty and his pistol, f2f's, f2 e's. His comment was " I guys cleaning after 2000 rounds is not enough". Thou the was joking, until he broke down the pistol on the bench, whoa. He either needed HPR ammo or to clean his hobby. To me, a clean gun is next to godliness.

I don't know what all the fuss is over...... I prefer to look at them dirty when I go to buy. It makes me a little suspicious if the gun is to clean the same way I get suspicious in looking at a used car or truck and it has had a fresh oil change.

However, I'm not to anal about a gun being dirty or clean when I am looking to buy. It's going to get a thorough cleaning no matter what condition it is in if it goes home with me.

To me it is the same as buying a car. When I look at one running like crap and the owner says "all it needs is a tune up" or the A/C is blowing warm and I hear "it just needs to have a Freon re-charge". If it is that simple then do it and present your best effort for the best offer. Otherwise it just shows me a lack of effort and care for a valuable piece of equipment. It also tells me I have a better than average chance of finding more serious problems down the road.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top