1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $1,000 in prizes this month in the Northwest Firearms Winter Giveaway!
    Dismiss Notice

Selling to someone in Washington...and I'm from Oregon...

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by mpperales, Oct 17, 2012.

  1. mpperales

    mpperales Happy Valley, Oregon Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    I know most of the rules...FFL...yada yada...

    MY question is.....if I live in Portland...can I physically take my pistol a buyer and meet him at his FFL dealer...and do the transfer there? Or since it is across state lines and I am not a legal resident of Washington...do I still have to send it from my FFL to his?

    thanks for any and all input...:thumbup:
  2. Keane

    Keane Hillsboro, OR Active Member

    Likes Received:
    You are welcomed to meet him at his FFL, and have his FFL do the transfer.

    Also note that if you were to ship it, you are NOT required to have YOUR FFL ship it, you can mail it directly to his FFL.
  3. deen_ad

    deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    Long gun yes, but I thought pistols had to go from FFL to FFL when shipped across state lines. Am I wrong? I know If I buy a handgun in Portland they have to ship it to an FFL in Vancouver.
  4. PBinWA

    PBinWA Clark County Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    That's only because pistols need to be transferred to their owner by an in-state FFL. I have bought a handgun from an Oregon resident who hand delivered it to my WA FFL. The FFL double checked with the ATF and it was all kosher.
  5. PDXSparky

    PDXSparky Keizer / Hillsboro Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    No requirement for you to have a FFL ship your firearm, be it a rifle or a pistol, to the FFL in another state. You can ship it directly to their FFL or hand deliver it yourself.
  6. hermannr

    hermannr Okanogan Highlands Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    A pistol transaction must take place in the purchaser's state of residence...that is all the requirement is. How you get the pistol to his FFL, that is up to you and the receiving FFL....Remember, SOME FFL's will not accept an out of state pistol from anyone but another FFL...Not law, their personal company policy. So make sure that the purchasers FFL is OK with you delivering the weapon.
    longcolt and (deleted member) like this.