JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Not sure if this should go into general discussion or legal/political. . .

Probably been covered before but, how do you all proceed when this happens? (like a member whose join date is less than a month ago, has zero posts and zero trade rating. . . :s0131:) Just require a chl and thats it? Ask for references?

Setting up a ftf to evaluate the person seems weird (to me) for several reasons.

Thanks for any input.

Depends on what you are selling and how. If you are doing a face to face they show you money, you show them item. Exchange item for cash shake hands and say "have a nice day". If you are doing a FTF there is no "setting up to evaluate someone", you are setting up a sale.

If you are shipping you might try calling and talking to them. You might also see if they are a standing member on another board.

The newness of a member doesn't bother me as much as one that thinks "texting lingo" is appropriate for posting an ad or communication with an adult!

Talking a deal out over the phone is good because you both get to know eachother. Bill of sale , DL from my state and a carry permit are my normal requirements for a deal. New member or not you have the right to choose to do business with them or not.

Depends on what you are selling and how. If you are doing a face to face they show you money, you show them item. Exchange item for cash shake hands and say "have a nice day". If you are doing a FTF there is no "setting up to evaluate someone", you are setting up a sale.

If you are shipping you might try calling and talking to them. You might also see if they are a standing member on another board.

Using this method you have no way of knowing if they can pass a background check! I'll take cash, a drivers license AND a CPL or WAC members card, matching the DL.

Using this method you have no way of knowing if they can pass a background check! I'll take cash, a drivers license AND a CPL or WAC members card, matching the DL.

Where is the requirement to KNOW if they can pass or not?

What if they have a CLP that is good for 5 years and they since committed a crime since they got the card? The WAC is as bad as the Brady bunch...........

I ask if the person is a felon, ask to see a driver's license and ask for cash in the agreed-upon amount. If their answers and information are satisfactory, they leave with the item and I leave with the cash.

I don't understand all this crap about bills of sale, CPL or "WAC" cards.

I ask if the person is a felon, ask to see a driver's license and ask for cash in the agreed-upon amount. If their answers and information are satisfactory, they leave with the item and I leave with the cash.

I don't understand all this crap about bills of sale, CPL or "WAC" cards.

It's a cover your *** thing...Everybody Seems to be doing it lately..Scared of gov. thing.

Cash and carry.I do it on the little nickel ads too.
ANYTHING flaky from the buyer and I pass

I can sell my gun to whomever I want,as long as I don't know for a fact that they are a felon.
And how am I to know? They said so?
As Nwcid said they could have lost their right a long time ago and never got the permit confiscated so permits mean nothing.

I do check for a pulse though.hate selling to zombies

I sold a gun to a fellow who had a good rep. working and living local . He let his son borrow the gun. So the son who has a carry permit and a medical marajuana card is the passenger in a vehicle and has the gun on him gets the cops called on him for hitting a pipe in plain view of other motorists. Long story short a gun that is in MY NAME is now evidence. Obviously this is in no way going to come back on me as far as i can see. I just dont like the idea behind it.

The gun is NOT in your name, there is NO registration in most states and NONE Federally on Title 1 firearms.

The gun you sold is shown as you were the last buyer from an FFL (assuming that is how you got it). Cops knock and you said "I sold it last week/month/year/decade/ect" and unless they have a reason to suspect otherwise they say "Thanks for you time. If you think of anything that might help let us know. Have a nice day".

Even if you sale the gun to Bob, do a bill of sale, see his DL along with CPL and do the secret hand shake it is still on record as you being the last person to purchase it from an FFL (again assuming you were). The only way to change that record is to go to the local gun shop with the buyer and do a 4473 there and pay the fee.

The only way to change that record is to go to the local gun shop with the buyer and do a 4473 there and pay the fee.

Now that's an interesting question. Since 4473 is only kept at the FFL, and not reported to the ATF, wouldn't they trace it to the FFL who sold it FIRST,
no matter how many times it has been transferred through an FFL in a state without registration ?

Now that's an interesting question. Since 4473 is only kept at the FFL, and not reported to the ATF, wouldn't they trace it to the FFL who sold it FIRST,
no matter how many times it has been transferred through an FFL in a state without registration ?

Good point. Here is how a trace works, eTrace - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I guess a better way for me to have phrased that would have been, to say to officially get a gun transferred to another person and have an official record of transfer would be though an FFL. But when you buy a new gun from an FFL your name will ALWAYS be the first one that pulls up from the sale.

Good point. Here is how a trace works, eTrace - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I guess a better way for me to have phrased that would have been, to say to officially get a gun transferred to another person and have an official record of transfer would be though an FFL. But when you buy a new gun from an FFL your name will ALWAYS be the first one that pulls up from the sale.

Yup. And all you have to do is say "Nah, I sold that a while back" for a private transfer.

I sold a gun to a fellow who had a good rep. working and living local . He let his son borrow the gun. So the son who has a carry permit and a medical marajuana card is the passenger in a vehicle and has the gun on him gets the cops called on him for hitting a pipe in plain view of other motorists. Long story short a gun that is in MY NAME is now evidence. Obviously this is in no way going to come back on me as far as i can see. I just dont like the idea behind it.

Hmmm.heard that story somewhere...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads