JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In the Ammo For Sale section ot the forum, there are some 9mm reloads offered. The poster did not reload the ammo, and is not able to provide any load data, or information about who reloaded/remanufactured this ammo.

I questioned the legality of selling ammo not reloaded by a licensed individual/company. I also raised the question,"Would you let your wife or kids shoot this ammo?"
I guess I would be more concerned with the safety aspects involved in the use of this ammo rather than the legality.

There have been a couple of posters jump on my case for questioning the sale and use of this ammo.

Based on the information/or lack of, would you feel OK about purchasing and shooting this ammo. How about your family members (wife, kids) shooting this ammo?
I would appreciate your thoughts and comments.

Best,
Gary

Nothing illegal about selling/reselling reloaded ammo.

However, I bought some reloaded .357 SIG ammo, then found that some (most) of the cases were .40. The specs are close but the necked down .40's don't have enough strength in the neck area to hold the bullet from setting back.

On edit: these were factory reloads too. They should have known better and I should have checked closer before buying!

Deen
NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member & Recruiter
Washington Arms Collectors Member
SouthWest Washington Arms Collectors Member
Second Amendment Foundation Member

Nothing illegal about it.

Depending on the source, my mood and what gun would depend on if I shot it or not.

If you are talking about my replies I was not jumping you case about to shoot or not to shoot it. That is and always will be the choice of the buyer. My post which included the actual law(s) was the fact it was not illegal as eluded to in your posts.

I would have to physically see the ammo in question. I would probably want to pull one down and measure what is in it. Obviously the price would have to be right. Then to top it off I would probably run it in one of my "heavier" guns like my Uzi vs a pistol.

I questioned the legality of selling ammo not reloaded by a licensed individual/company. I also raised the question,"Would you let your wife or kids shoot this ammo?"
I guess I would be more concerned with the safety aspects involved in the use of this ammo rather than the legality.

I would be more concerned with the safety aspects involved in the use of ammo that has been regulated & ok'd for civilians only because a government says they can own it.

I would be more concerned about the specs of the load.
I lost a cylinder on a Model 60 Smith, due to re-loads from a cop shop that ranged from firing out to 3 ft, where I could see the bullet, to blowing the cylinder and bulging it so badly that it would no longer rotate past the frame.

Some take pleasure in making reloads that hurt people.

Unless I knew the reloader, loaded with him side by side/assited etc. I would not trust them. I was given a bunch of 30-30 reloads a couple years ago and the crimps were inconsistent along with the bullet seating depth. I pulled them all.

I would only considering buying reloads of unknown origin if:

I was able to match them up against factory loads to make sure they are loaded correctly, AND was able to shoot some of the rounds of my choosing from the lot I was interested in at a range, as well as have the seller shoot some in his firearm. Then the price would have to be right. All of this before I pay anything.

I have no problem with Re-manufactured ammo, but what the OP was explaining, I would go through the process I stated above.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Capitalism is BO$$!!!

Reloaded ammo that I either buy or sell is simply done as components. If I buy reloaded ammo, I simply pull the bullets. If I trust the seller, I may keep the primers, but usually pop them and start over. If I sell reloads, I tell the people flat out they are being sold as components only and I price them as such. I would never pay more than the value of the brass and bullets for reloads...

No.

I make my own ammo, and like mentioned above I'm not going to trust that someone twice removed does as well as I do. Maybe the guy likes to have a few beers while he loads? Maybe he has to leave to pick up the kids from school in the middle of a run? I'd be asking myself WHY a guy bought/traded/is getting rid of a bunch of 9mm like that. 500 rounds in a plastic bag seems kinda weird, maybe it's just me though on the bag thing. I don't ABSOLUTELY HAVE to shoot, not that hard up. And having to take down 500 rounds for components? Sheesh, they'd better be real cheap.

Something else....IF I ever did come to the point of selling off some of the 1500 or so of my 9mm handloads, each box is clearly labled with caliber/bullet weight/powder/weight of powder. That's the way I feel is the proper way to do it.

I would not buy home reloaded ammo ever... If it is professionally done and at a good price I am ok with that but never "some guys" reloads.

And risk something like this no thanks, I would only buy as componants and pull them.

Ouch.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Something else....IF I ever did come to the point of selling off some of the 1500 or so of my 9mm handloads, each box is clearly labled with caliber/bullet weight/powder/weight of powder. That's the way I feel is the proper way to do it.

Proper, but there still could be a squib or double load in there.

Deen
NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member & Recruiter
Washington Arms Collectors Member
SouthWest Washington Arms Collectors Member
Second Amendment Foundation Member

That was NOTHING illegal about the sale posted in the other thread. What "concern of legality" is there?

Well I don't have the code to hand, but it was pretty clear to me. There were two conditions laid out. It was clearly not the first one of "...for personal use". That was the description that made it legal to use what you rolled yourself. The other option described selling it -- which was illegal if you weren't an authorized reloader. It was pretty clear to me. I didn't see how anyone could glean something else from it...

I then mentioned how I'd seen people get around it by selling rounds as components.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top