JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Thinking of selling my winchester classic sporter lt in 25-06 it is in 95% condition. I'm just not sure what the market value is right now. I can look up blue book value but that always seams to be way under market value. Any help would be great

Blue Book values, as you mentioned CAN be under market value. They also CAN be over market value. They also can be precisely correct. The Winchester model 70 (especially as of late) was manufactured in so many variations that value assignments can be problematic. Even attempting to narrow it down by designation of "Classic Sporter" leaves many options and possible variations subject to interpretation. Even the caliber can affect value significantly, either up or down.

Current Blue Book shows $450-500 for the gun you describe (pending further detail of specific model). If you are wanting to sell in a relatively short period of time, this price range is a good target. If you have more time to find the buyer that is looking for your specific gun, you may consider asking a bit more, and holding out for a bit more.

As a fan of the .25-06, I always caution buyers looking for a used one to be aware that without some extra care and conservative use, this is a caliber that can assist the careless owner toward inordinate barrel wear. If you are the original owner, and can document how it was used (including approximate round count), then this would be an advantage toward the sale. I'm certain you are aware that the .25-06 does not quite hold the broad spectrum appeal as other cartridges might. It would be my preference, but I'm weird.

CAVEAT: "Round Count" is actually a very POOR indicator of barrel wear, since in a high-intensity cartridge, a barrel can be damaged in only a very few firings and in a very short period of time, if not done with care and concern and knowledge of how to prevent such damage.

With proper care, and care during firing to avoid overheating, the .25-06, .220 Swift, .264 Magnum and the like can achieve barrel longevity comparable to any other cartridge.

Good luck with your sale of a quality gun in a kickass caliber.

The model 70 has a lot of value variables. Pre-64 models are more valuable to collectors due to the controlled round feed and the "claw" extractor. These feature were also brought back on some later models due to their popularity. The post-64 models are also very good (push feed with an extractor copied from the ever-popular Remington 700). Another huge variable in pricing is the bottom metal (or absence of). Rifles with a blind mag rather than a hinged floorplate usually sell for quite a bit less.

I like the model 70. In fact, I just picked one up to use as my primary hunting rifle. It's an early 90's Black Shadow (synthetic stock, blind mag, cheap scope combo originally sold at WalMart) in .300 win mag. It is in great condition (barely looks used), and I picked it up on the classifieds here with a sling and a box of ammo for $350 (the ad was up for several months for $400). I'm mounting a better scope tomorrow, then sighting it in for next month....

"Classic Sporter" infers that this is a 90's or 2000's gun that has controlled round feed. It's probably a 24" barrel, which is a good thing, unless you hunt from a blind or in tight brush.
The OP does not mention blued or stainless, scope or no.
Either way, a nice version of this piece should bring $600 or a little better without a scope (or with a cheap scope) Actually, Spitpatch is weird, and although I share his sentiment about the 25-06, it's probably not a "popular" chambering. A 300 Win Mag would probably bring more $$, for all of the wrong reasons.
Never2 many, you should post up a pic, let us see what you've got and then we can hem and hah about value.

Yes your right it is late 90's early 2000. I bought new but can't remember but it is not CRF it has the claw extracter. The gun is blue and wood and has a redfield 4-12 on it. Thanks for everyone's input so far ! Still not sure if I will sell it. I love the rife and round but I hate how it is a safe queen.
And yes 24" barrel I was told any less in 25-06 just ain't doing it justice

Yes your right it is late 90's early 2000. I bought new but can't remember but it is not CRF it has the claw extracter. The gun is blue and wood and has a redfield 4-12 on it. Thanks for everyone's input so far ! Still not sure if I will sell it. I love the rife and round but I hate how it is a safe queen.
And yes 24" barrel I was told any less in 25-06 just ain't doing it justice

FYI, CRF means Controlled Round Feed. The big ol claw extractor is the dead nutz give away that this gun is indeed CRF.
Push feed is the other style.
Sounds like you have a very nice gun. I'd be hesitant to part with it, too. I'm kinda "weird", myself.

If you do decide to sell it, and it is indeed in near new condition, something around $850 is a fair deal, I'd think.

Yes I knew that guess I shouldn't type half awake. Thanks for your help I was thinking 700-800 and that 450-500 would be a steal. It's a great gun but I've gotten into stainless and hate taking it out when it's raining/dusty/to much brush/to dark/sunny o_O you get the idea it's just to perdy to hunt with

Yup! I had a blued rifle that I liked a bunch, but have since changed to stainless for the same reason.
I agree with your thoughts on pricing.
If I remember correctly, the stainless Winchester Classic Sporter that I looked at in 2000 shortly before I bought my blued Ruger was $499 at GI Joes. Nobody else had them for less than $550.
To sell your gun for 4-500 would indeed be a steal. I'll "steal" it if you only want that much.:s0053:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top