JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello,

I am wanting to sell a gun and I have not done this in Oregon since the new laws have gone into effect. If I understand this correctly, I need to go to an FFL to complete the purchase, and they perform the background check correct? Once they get a clean check, I am good to transfer the gun to them, and then I am no longer liable for anything related to that gun right? I think I am getting current law mixed up with things they are trying to get pushed through the state at the moment. Just wanting to be safe and make sure I am doing this correctly and not going to get in a bind later on for a gun I no longer own.

Thanks
BG

If the buyer is close to you you have him meet at a local FFL and do the transfer right there. If he is not local you would have the FFL send the gun to a different FFL and then the receiving FFL would do the back ground check on the purchaser.

Good question. Yes, Oregon requires all sales to be through an FFL. So you'll meet at an FFL, the buyer will fill out a form. You'll both provide your IDs and wait for the transaction to be approved. Once you get the thumbs up that the buyer has been approve money exchanges hands, one of you pays the background check and transfer fee (anywhere between $15-$50 depending on the FFL) and then you'll go your own ways.

If you want to further cover your butt you can ask for a bill of sale. But after that point you are no longer responsible for the firearm.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top