JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a lever-action rifle, wheel gun and pistol I wish to sell on here. I understand (I think) that in Oregon I will have to take it to a dealer, who will charge me, to ship it to another dealer who will likely charge the buyer, at least for the background check.

Do I need to do the same thing when selling to someone out of state or can I ship directly to an FFL dealer near them they specify?

If you don't want to physically convey a firearm to the FFL dealer where the transfer would take place, you can either ship it directly to the FFL dealer, or ask a local FFL dealer to ship it for you.

This is true whether the transfer takes place in Oregon or in another state, yes.

The difference is the reason for having an FFL dealer handle a transfer. In Oregon, it is state law that if you are transferring a firearm to someone who is not in your immediate family (siblings, parents, etc.), then the transfer must happen thru an FFL dealer.

For a interstate transfer (someone in another state), it is federal law that you must use an FFL dealer in the state of the person who the firearm is being transferred to.

How you get the firearm to the FFL dealer is up to you. You can ship it directly to an FFL dealer (handguns must be shipped differently than long guns - ask a separate question on this issue), you can use a local FFL dealer to ship it for you, or you can physically convey it to the dealer yourself (a lot of people in the Portland/Vancouver area do this).

Thank you for your response.
I just found it ridiculous to have to use a dealer to ship it to another dealer for the buyer to take possession if both seller and buyer are in Oregon.
(I know I could take it physically if I wanted to drive there).

I just found it ridiculous to have to use a dealer to ship it to another dealer for the buyer to take possession if both seller and buyer are in Oregon.

It would be ridiculous, because as @The Heretic has indicated, you DON'T have to do that. All you need to do is ship it to the buyer's FFL.

Some people use an FFL because it seems easier to them than dealing with the shippers - most FFLs know the ins and outs, but generally it is more expensive to use the FFL.

If you wish, others can talk about those details - I've only shipped one long gun, and that was decades ago. Others have done it and know better ways to do it than I did it.

Here is what the ATF "Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide"' (ATF P 5300.4) says:

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by carrier?
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.
[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 178.31, 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]
(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U. S. Postal Service?
A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not transfer any firearm to a nonlicensed resident of another state. The Postal Service recommends that longguns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.
[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

You will also want to check with the carrier on their rules and regulations regarding shipping a firearm.

There are many ways to get your sale done legally.

Know that.....
There are *Fed Laws and State Laws to follow. Both must be adhered to. And, the laws differ between long guns and handguns.

Not even touching on WA I-1639 at this time.

So then.....what are you EXACTLY dealing with?

*In some locations county/city laws might also apply. Not an expert but thinking about NYC.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....must you declare what's in the package? Don't play the "machine parts" game.

43 Firearms | Postal Explorer

Then....if you're using a common carrier. They also have their own rules to follow.

Last Edited:
I wrote this a long time ago.......links may be dead AND some things/laws/rules etc... may have changed.

AS A SHIPPER OF FIREARMS

For a quick reference, check these links:

AS A SHIPPER - THE SHORT COURSE ON SHIPPING FIREARMS

***Declare all firearm shipments***AND***Unless prohibited by your state or local laws***

A Non-FFL Dealer, CAN ship a long gun (rifle or shotgun), via the US Mail or common/contract carrier (Fed Ex, UPS, etc.) to an FFL, back to the factory, or gunsmith, or out of state (to yourself), or to another non-prohibited person within your state.*

A Non-FFL Dealer, CANNOT ship a handgun via the US Mail. However, a Non-FFL Dealer, MAY USE a common/contract carrier for handgun shipments…….to an FFL, back to the factory, or gunsmith, or out of state (to yourself), or to another non-prohibited person within your state.*

That being said.....as a Non-FFL, I've found it cheaper, to take my handgun(s) to my FFL Dealer (even w/ his fee) and have the handgun(s) shipped via the USPS, registered mail and insured. YMWV.

For an FFL Dealer, a firearm (handgun or long gun) can be shipped by either the US Mail or common/contract carrier.

*Note: The current BGC Laws (example : WA and OR) have thrown a wrench into this. As I said prior......"Unless prohibited by your sate or local laws."

BTW, the US Postal Service does NOT recognize a C&R Lic. (Collector Lic.), as being the same thing as an FFL (Dealer Lic.).
__________________________________________________ ____

The common carriers make their own rules on how they want firearms to be shipped (overnight, same day or whatever). Mostly it's because, they can't trust their employees w/ the possibility of THEFT. Not to mention that, making LARGE PROFITS is the name of the game. So, shipping charges can/will quickly mount.

*THINGS MAY HAVE CHANGED* Because of poor training, some UPS and FedEx employees THINK that shipping of firearms is authorized ONLY between FFLs. That is just NOT true. Speak to the KNOWLEGABLE people. It's also a good idea to have a printed copy of their rules in hand, before going to the shipping center. *THINGS MAY HAVE CHANGED*

The USPS is also a problem for some, as the clerks are in some cases poorly trained.
__________________________________________________ _____

DON'T TRY TO SKIRT THE LAW

Some people, may advise others to ship their firearms in pieces……."Parts are Parts." But, note what the BATF says: Frames or receivers of firearms are "firearms" as defined in the law and subject to the same controls as complete firearms.

You Have Been Warned.

SHIPPING TO AN FFL DEALER, WITHOUT A SIGNED INKED FFL IN YOUR HAND

The shipper/seller, for their protection, needs to verify the receiver is an FFL Dealer. They need to ask for the receiver's FFL Number.
The shipper should then go to this website to verify the license and address: ATF FFL Ez Check Site.
The shipper should print the screen they get.
They can then legally ship the firearm to the receiver, but only at the address verified at the Ez Check Site.
__________________________________________________ ____

IF YOU'RE THE BUYER OF A FIREARM (FROM ANOTHER STATE)

Since this is a SALE of a firearm, the seller will ship the firearm to your FFL (not directly to you). Once the firearm is at your local FFL, the FFL will record it in his book, he'll be responsible to check you out. Making sure you're not a prohibited person, have followed your local and state laws, have paid the correct fees (if applicable), and of course filled out form 4473.

SHIPPING ANTIQUES

Under the Federal definition, an antique firearm (as described below) can be sent ANYWAY you like. But, local and state laws may vary, so remember to check them too.

Title 18, Section 921(a)(16) then defines "antique firearm" as follows:

The term "antique firearm" means -

(A) any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; and any replica of any firearm described in subparagraph (A) if such replica -

(i) is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition, or

(ii) uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade."

And, from the ATF site, FAQ............

(A3) Do antique firearms come within the purview of the GCA? [Back]

No.

[18 U.S.C. 921(a)(3) and (16), 27 CFR 478.11 and 478.141(d)]

Advice for shipping an Antique Firearm.......

Ship them via the USPS, registered mail and insured. They are "antique firearms" and therefore are not controlled by the same laws as regular firearms.

c. Unloaded antique firearms sent as curios or museum pieces are
generally permitted as specified in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM C024.2.0.

Taken from the USPS Publication 52.

And, beware: Just because a firearm is a, "qualified C&R Firearm" it's NOT always, an "antique firearm."

ADVICE ON SHIPPING A HOUSEHOLD WITH GUNS

When I moved from Hawaii to Washington (in 2005), I had my firearms and ammo (household goods) shipped to me, via boat. With 9-11, still in mind, there were plenty of problems. House movers flat out, REFUSED to transport, firearms and ammo.

The answer for me, was a Freight Shipper. I made my own shipping crate out of 2x4s and plywood. Constructing it, to be exactly fitted and secured, on top of a standard shipping pallet. Of course I had to "declare it" and the shipper wanted to inspect it prior to closing the box (just to make sure the firearms were, "unloaded").

PS.....check with the shipper, they may have a size and weight limit for the box that will be placed on top of the pallet. YMWV.

USPS Rules

432 Mailability

432.1 General

The following conditions apply:

a. Pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on

the person (referred to as handguns) are nonmailable in the domestic

mail except as permitted in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM C024.1.0.

b. The disassembled parts of a handgun or other type of nonmailable

firearm that can be readily reassembled as a weapon are nonmailable

except as permitted in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM C024.1.0 or C024.2.0.

c. Unloaded antique firearms sent as curios or museum pieces are

generally permitted as specified in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM C024.2.0.

d. Unloaded rifles and shotguns may be mailed if the mailer fully complies

with the Gun Control Act of 1968 (Public Law 90-618) and 18 U.S.C.

921. The mailer may be required to establish, by opening the parcel or

by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not excluded from

mailing because of the restrictions in 431.2b and c.

FedEx Rules Governing Firearms Shipment
General Rules for Firearms

FedEx Express will transport and deliver firearms as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, between areas served in the U.S., but only between:

Licensed importers; licensed manufacturers; licensed dealers; licensed collectors; law enforcement agencies of the U.S. or any department or agency thereof; and law enforcement agencies of any state or any department, agency or political subdivisions thereof; or

Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law, from individuals to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers (and return of same).

If your shipment contains firearms, select the Direct Signature Required Delivery Signature Option or Adult Signature Required Delivery Signature Option, depending on the requirements of your shipment. See the Delivery Signature Options section for details. Firearms shipments are not eligible for signature release or indirect delivery.

Firearms must be shipped via FedEx Priority Overnight service. FedEx Express cannot ship or deliver firearms C.O.D. Firearms shipments cannot be placed in a FedEx Express Drop Box.

Upon presenting the package for shipment, the person tendering the shipment to FedEx Express is required to notify FedEx Express that the package contains a firearm. The outside of the package must not be marked, labeled or otherwise identify that the package contains a firearm.

The shipper and recipient must be of legal age as identified by applicable law.

The shipper and recipient are required to comply with all applicable government regulations and laws, including those pertaining to labeling. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives can provide assistance.

FedEx Express will transport ammunition when packed and labeled in compliance with local, state and federal law, and the Dangerous Goods section of this Service Guide. Ammunition is an explosive and must be shipped separately as dangerous goods. You agree not to ship loaded firearms or firearms with ammunition in the same package.

Additional Ground Tarrif Rules for FedEx

FedEx Ground will transport and deliver firearms (excluding handguns) as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, between areas served in the U.S., but only between:

Licensed importers; licensed manufacturers; licensed dealers; licensed collectors; law enforcement agencies of the U.S. or any department or agency thereof; and law enforcement agencies of any state or any department, agency or political subdivisions thereof; or

Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law, from individuals to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers (and return of same).

If your shipment contains firearms, select the Direct Signature Required Delivery Signature Option or Adult Signature Required Delivery Signature Option, depending on the requirements of your shipment. See the Delivery Signature Options section for details. Firearms shipments are not eligible for signature release, driver release or indirect delivery.

FedEx Ground cannot ship or deliver firearms C.O.D.

Upon presenting the package for shipment, the person tendering the shipment to FedEx Ground is required to notify FedEx Ground that the package contains a firearm. The outside of the package must not be marked, labeled or otherwise identify that the package contains a firearm.

The shipper and recipient must be of legal age as identified by applicable law.

The shipper and recipient are required to comply with all applicable government regulations and laws, including those pertaining to labeling. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives can provide assistance.

FedEx Ground will transport small-arms ammunition when packed and labeled in compliance with local, state and federal law, and the Hazardous Materials section of this Service Guide. Ammunition is an explosive and must be shipped separately as hazardous materials. You agree not to ship loaded firearms or firearms with ammunition in the same package.

FedEx Ground will not accept for transport handguns, assembled or disassembled.

UPS Rules Governing Firearms Shipment

Special Procedures for Shipping Firearms

Use These UPS Services for Your Firearm Shipment
Firearms will be transported only between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors, as defined in the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, law enforcement agencies of the United States or of any department or agency thereof and law enforcement agencies of any state or department agency, or political subdivision thereof, and between persons not otherwise prohibited from shipping firearms by federal, state or local law and when such shipment complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws.

You must ship your packages that contain handguns with UPS Next Day Air Early A.M.®, UPS Next Day Air®, or UPS Next Day Air Saver® services
Your packages that contain firearms will not be accepted for shipment at UPS Drop Boxes, with UPS SonicAir® service, at locations of The UPS Store or any third-party retailer, or with international services.

Follow These Packing Requirements
Your packages that contain handguns must be separated from other packages being delivered to UPS
Ammunition cannot be included in your packages that contain firearms (including handguns)

About Documentation and Labeling
When you are shipping your package that contains a firearm with UPS, you must affix a UPS label requesting an adult signature upon delivery

Getting Your Firearm Shipment to UPS
You can only ship your package that contains a firearm from UPS daily pickup accounts and through UPS Customer Centers.
When you are shipping a package that contains a handgun, you must verbally notify the UPS driver or UPS Customer Center clerk
You can use UPS daily pickup accounts to ship firearms, not including handguns, through UPS Internet Shipping, UPS On-Call PickupSM, and One-Time Pickup
Your packages that contain firearms will not be accepted for shipment at UPS Drop Boxes, with UPS SonicAir® service, at locations of The UPS Store or any third-party retailer, or with international services
See the terms and conditions in the UPS Tariff for shipping firearms

Ain't out government great?

"....shall not be infringed."

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
I tried to ship a lever action rifle via both USPS and FEDEX recently thru the local commercial handler and they literally freaked when I told them what it was. Quick step backwards and wide eyes before he said "We are not allowed to do that." I showed him the USPS/FEDEX rules and he simply said "OH!...that may be correct but we are not licensed here to mail it for you." I learned that there are only a limited shipping centers where you can send any guns thru. "My" center is 46 miles round trip, so I was forced to go to an FFL and pay the extra $30 to process his labor. I don't have a complaint about his fee, just about the stupidity of the laws about those "horrible" guns!

Their 'license' is probably not a license at all, more likely corporate policy.

There is some online service that has been mentioned a number of times in other threads, but I never paid attention to it as I only sell FTF, and rarely sell at all. They setup the shipping and so on and you just take the package in. Maybe someone will chime in.

I use Buds Guns shipping express service. It's called "Ship My Gun" and it takes all the headache out of researching an FF's license and it's also cheaper for a pistol when shipping next day air.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top