JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
ok so i had a guy on here wanting to buy my rifle from me. i told him ok but it has to go through a transfer since it is an out of state buyer, oregon to washington. am i wrong? he is making a big deal about it through pms

You are correct, out of state sales require shipment to an FFL. This is mentioned in the classifeds rules, or your buyer can look up the law for himself.

Not really. All out of state firearms sales must go through a FFL. But, not all need to be shipped.

If the buyer is from a neighboring state, such as Washington, he can purchase a LONG GUN from an Oregon FFL. However, if it is a HANDGUN then he must purchase from his in-state FFL.

I had to do this just recently to sell one of my AR-10s. Buyer was a Washington resident while I live in Oregon. He drove down, fondled the gun, purchased it, then we went to one of my neighborhood Oregon FFLs to transfer it/do the background check. He paid the transfer fee and went home.

If he is complaining about a transfer through an FFL, that is a deal breaker because avoiding an FFL is illegal for this transaction. The laws suck but not nearly as bad as your life could suck if you break them.

Yeah, plus you never know when you are talking to the atf.

If anyone suggests not to use an FFL for out of state transactions, just end the dialouge. No point in trying to change the mind of a criminal that doesn't care if he puts other people at risk.

Call me an uninformed simpleton (and I realize that FFL's are required for shipping weapons). But I have to know...

Scenario 1: Portlander privately buys a used wep from a non-dealer friend in Portland and drives home with it. No harm no foul, and no one ever needs to know, right?

Scenario 2: Portlander privately buys a used wep from a non-dealer friend in Vancouver and drives home with it. This is illegal?

What if it's a simple out and out gift?

Sorry to seem naive, but this is sincere wonderment. Who would know? Who would care? Is this enforced somehow? WTF?

Thanks for clarifying. Just stunned over here.

ok so i had a guy on here wanting to buy my rifle from me. i told him ok but it has to go through a transfer since it is an out of state buyer, oregon to washington. am i wrong? he is making a big deal about it through pms

That's the Federal Law. I bought a AK-74 from a guy in OR, he found an FFL in Beaverton where we met, made the deal and did the transfer paperwork $25). Called the NICS check in and walked out with it, then drove home to WA.

80 MILLION gun owners didn't shoot anyone today, a few criminals did!!

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Feedback Score" is low by 4, not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
Washington Arms Collector member
Arms Collectors of South West Washington member

Call me an uninformed simpleton (and I realize that FFL's are required for shipping weapons). But I have to know...

Scenario 1: Portlander privately buys a used wep from a non-dealer friend in Portland and drives home with it. No harm no foul, and no one ever needs to know, right?

Scenario 2: Portlander privately buys a used wep from a non-dealer friend in Vancouver and drives home with it. This is illegal?

Sorry to seem naive, but this is sincere wonderment. Who would know? Who would care? Is this enforced somehow? WTF?

Scenario 1-Legal
Scenario 2-Violation of Federal Law whether sold or "gifted". Transfer of handgun between residents of different state has to go through an FFL.

Who would know? You and the guy who sold/gave it to you and possibly the guy monitoring the wire or video surveillance. Who would care? Those jack-booted thugs with the 6" high reflective letters forming acronyms on the back of their tactical vests. Is it enforced? Like so many other laws, not as often as they are broken, but the risk is there and "I didn't know" is no excuse.

Like every other decision to commit a felony, it is a personal choice that everyone has to make for themselves.

if your weapon is over 50 years old you can ship across state lines if the buyer has a ffl03 c&r. he has to send you a copy and you have to send the weapon to the name and address on the c&r licence.

Scenario 1 is legal. Scenario 2 is illegal. I'm guessing the ATF might care. They don't seem to have a problem arresting people for selling guns illegally. They conduct stings too. I wouldn't risk a stint in prison over $30.

Wow, thanks for the clarification guys. I had no idea. So if Big Brother is monitoring... no I have never, and I certainly will not now.

Stuff like this makes me wonder if I'm paranoid enough.

Imanginary lines being crossed is kinda stupid but it is the law. I'm suprised when you move outta state you don't have to transfer all your own guns to yourself, makes about as much sense.:s0114:

Wow, thanks for the clarification guys. I had no idea. So if Big Brother is monitoring... no I have never, and I certainly will not now.

Stuff like this makes me wonder if I'm paranoid enough.

Not necessarily directed at you but at anyone reading this........ask yourself this question....if you were with the ATF locally would you be watching a site like this?

There seems to be a certain amount of people that push the envelope and recklessly do cross-boarder gun deals, I just don't understand the stupidity of taking such a huge risk of ruining your life over such a small amount of money.

You're right Trlsmn. Certainly not worth it.

Such craziness would've never occurred to me if Craiglist had guns, too. Nothing even on the horizon, but I'm glad I saw this thread and asked.

What a buzz-kill: starring on Hoarders when the federales haul me off to the slammer.

Too many people have never tried to buy a gun, or have done it without research and therefore have no idea how the law affects them. People think "oh interstate gun laws are a good idea" but they don't realize how silly such laws really are in practice. That's why it's good to have the discussion in public, often.

It's not just the transfer that people have a reason to avoid. With our over-bearing government making such silly laws, people also want to avoinmd a paper trail. Not because they intend to do anything criminal, but to avoid being the target of a criminal action, whether by some gang or by the government itself.

Some people believe that unjust laws are no law at all.

Anyway you choose to conduct yourself, it behooves you to know the law and the consequences. As someone who intends to get an FFL, I will be obeying the strict letter of the law, for all transactions. The scrutiny and punishment is just too much to risk, even amongst friends and family.

I have to admit that I was ignorant of the law before finding joining this site. I could hit Oregon with a round from my house, and private transactions with folks from Ranier, Clatskanie or St. Helens have been common among family members and aquaintances though the nickel ads or newspaper. I was shocked to discover that interstate private transactions were illegal. I think that the ignorance of this law is more common than the knowledge of it. I'm glad I discovered the RIGHT WAY here, instead of from the wrong end of the Justice System.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top