JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello Members,
I bought a new hand gun back in 1996 or so here in Oregon at a pawn shop.
I don't remember getting finger printed or getting paperwork with it... maybe that happened, but I don't remember.
It was just a cheap pocket pistol ( $80 ) that's been for the most part sitting in a drawer all this time.

Fast forward to today..

If I want to sell it, do I need to register it first somewhere?
Can I sell it to a private party without the dealer paperwork?
Where can I check to see if it did get registered when I purchased it?

Thanks for any help and info!

Last Edited:
No, you don't need to register it to sell it, we don't have registration in Oregon. You DO need to transfer it at an FFL, like at a gun shop. They will do a background check on the buyer, and some paperwork for you both. Maybe some other members can chime in on which Portland shops are good.

Another sale option open to you is an out of state sale-- you or your FFL ship the gun to the buyer's FFL. You would need to see a signed copy of their FFL paperwork, which you might want to hold onto

Another thing, there aren't anymore $80 guns today--you might want to tell us what it is so you can get an idea of what it's worth today

Does your $80 pistol look like this?

1611286054855.png

Or this?

1611286088046.png

Assuming.....it's an OR resident buying from an OR resident.

If I was looking to sell my firearm and I have a price in mind. I'd sell it here.

Note: This forum does NOT allow an auction. You need to have a price. If you want to TRADE....at least have an idea of what you're willing to TRADE for. It's good to post that info, IMHO.

So then.....I would.....

Look over the Handguns Classifieds section/ads here at NWF.com. Read some of them and get a feel of how ads go. Do you want to proceed?

If YES....do you have a camera?

If YES, then take pictures and move to the next step.. If NO, then get someone to help you to get some digital photos. It's NOT REQUIRED. However, good pictures really help (trust me on that).

Open the classifieds ads "Handguns" section and start filling in the required information. If a section does not apply....move/skip over it. Caliber, Model, Maker, Asking price are basic. Add your pictures. Add a little story (if you like) about your pistol.....how you got it, why you're selling it, if you can describe- how much wear you've put on it, condition, functioning, any "problems", etc.....

Additional items like: ammo, magazines, a holster or cleaning kit, etc..... adds to the desirability of your sale. State it in your ad.

Terms of sale. State them in your ad if you have specific terms.
Suff like.....who is paying the FFL fees (is common) and/or where or whom gets to pick the FFL that you are going to use. The buyer might suggest another FFL, it's between the both of you to come to an agreement. And that includes a price.

The buyer might just want to see it first before committing to a price. I can understand that. Yup....blurry pictures and undisclosed damages in the descriptions, etc.... However, some buyers and sellers may just see that condition as too much of a bother. Whatever.....you decide what's best for you.

All transfers (unless exempt by law) must go through an FFL. It's probably a good idea to touch bases with any FFL that you plan to use. FFL fees will vary. Some FFLs may require or might allow you to leave a firearm in their custody (in case of a delay in the buyers BGC). What happens if.....the buyer does NOT PASS the BGC? Ask questions, probably best to call and find out, before you commit to an FFL.

But......bottom line: The FFL is responsible to fully checkout the buyer before handing over the firearm.

Do a preview of your ad before posting.....double check....triple check it..

Is it correct? If YES.....post. If NO.....make the corrections necessary. If it's a PIA....forgetaboutit.

Did I miss something?

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
I'm not sure where everyone gets the idea of registration. Last I looked it's federally illegal to make a firearms registry. (but they made the NFA anyways, go figure)

If you want to be a good citizen to sell a firearm you have to take it and the buyer to a FFL, I believe both of you need some form of a 4473, and when the buyer is approved they take it home. The FFL will want some sum to run your 4473ish thing.

IMHO this is absolutely ludicrous. I like the old way of selling to a CHL holder. Ask them to present a CHL, take name, license number or car plate number, cash and carry. You know, like the constitution says but I digress. I no longer buy guns from private party due to this crap. I'll just build instead.

I'm not sure where everyone gets the idea of registration. Last I looked it's federally illegal to make a firearms registry. (but they made the NFA anyways, go figure)

If you want to be a good citizen to sell a firearm you have to take it and the buyer to a FFL, I believe both of you need some form of a 4473, and when the buyer is approved they take it home. The FFL will want some sum to run your 4473ish thing.

IMHO this is absolutely ludicrous. I like the old way of selling to a CHL holder. Ask them to present a CHL, take name, license number or car plate number, cash and carry. You know, like the constitution says but I digress. I no longer buy guns from private party due to this crap. I'll just build instead.

form-4473.png Yup.....I can remember that FREEDOM once meant.... that there was no need to have an FFL involved in your private business.

Aloha, Mark

I sold one of those (in .25 ACP) awhile back for $125 or was it $150 (with extras). IMHO....a good pistol (at least for me). Didn't jam and it was cheap enough.

Yeah.....Saturday Night Special and/or Drop Gun....whatever.

View attachment 811809

Aloha, Mark
Yep, that RA MP-25 was a very simple little pistol, easy to take apart and functioned well. The only thing bad - it was a .25 ACP. Wouldn't rely in that for self defense. It would only tick someone off at most.

I didn't like the cost of the .25 ACP ammo. I figured that I could get something more useful/better for me in so much as platform, ammo cost, utility, etc....

Though.....concealability and weight.....:s0092:

Yeah.....life is full of compromises.

Aloha, Mark

I didn't like the cost of the .25 ACP ammo. I figured that I could get something more useful/better for me in so much as platform, ammo cost, utility, etc....
Aloha, Mark
Yeah, like a little .22LR. I sometimes pocket a little Beretta Bobcat with Mini Mags. At least a little more potent than a .25ACP and much cheaper.

I got a chrome raven 25acp for $25 0 rounds thru it, gifted it to my daughter.
Actually shot pretty good lol.

I got my Raven in a TRADE. I traded with my GF (at the time). She had gotten it from her ex-husband. It was supposed to be her home defense weapon.

I gave her a 2" blue Charter Arms .38 special, some ammo and a cleaning kit for it.

After buying .25 ACP ammo and playing with it for awhile. I sold it off, to get back some cash.

Aloha, Mark

Wow.. thank you all for the replies!
I think the best thing to do moving forward is to go through a FFL.
It is a Jennings 22 with all the original paperwork, box clips, trigger lock.
Not sure what to ask..
When I bought it ( pre internet days ) I didn't have any knowledge on quality/reliability etc etc..
It was kinda spur of the moment purchase.
I've been looking at Youtube videos, and it seems some people feel that these jam easy.
I've haven't shot but maybe 40 rounds through it and it did jam a couple times, but I was using cheap ammo.
I suppose using better quality ammo helps the occasional jam, but it wasn't that bad for the price.
I know these aren't collectable and such.

Thanks again gang!
Glad to have you all here for the great advice.

KIMG0570.JPG

.22 LR semi-auto handguns are sometimes "finicky". Sometimes it takes a lot of testing.....with a lot of different ammo to check for reliable functioning.

Then again....sometimes it's just the firearm, magazine, construction, design, QC, etc....

Aloha, Mark

Wow.. thank you all for the replies!
I think the best thing to do moving forward is to go through a FFL.
It is a Jennings 22 with all the original paperwork, box clips, trigger lock.
Not sure what to ask..
When I bought it ( pre internet days ) I didn't have any knowledge on quality/reliability etc etc..
It was kinda spur of the moment purchase.
I've been looking at Youtube videos, and it seems some people feel that these jam easy.
I've haven't shot but maybe 40 rounds through it and it did jam a couple times, but I was using cheap ammo.
I suppose using better quality ammo helps the occasional jam, but it wasn't that bad for the price.
I know these aren't collectable and such.

Thanks again gang!
Glad to have you all here for the great advice.

View attachment 811819

Believe it or not, someone will want your gun, especially since you have the original box & paperwork. There are people who do collect Jennings guns--Looks like Jimenez bought out Jennings, which makes your gun a classic :eek:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top