JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In the State of Oregon you have to be aquainted with the buyer in order to sell to them.

You want to give me an ORS number on that?

WRT shipping guns. I'm another that prefers FTF. I'm going to start thinning the safe out after the first of the year, and it will be FTF, my place or a fair midpoint. I'm the seller. Seller dictates terms. Just that simple. If I NEEDED the money, the terms would
probably change. What I NEED is to open up some space for more goodies!:s0114:

Federal and state laws enter into it also. So it's NOT "Just that simple"!

Yeah it is just that simple.He can sell to whom ever he feels like.If he doesn't care about the laws he can sell to twice as many.

But really if you are the seller and don't need the money,the gun is just something you want to sell to buy better,then you do in fact dictate the terms.
He is,in no way saying he would go outside the law to do it.Making me believe he means "with in the law,the seller dictates the sale"

And as the seller,if you aren't dictating the sale,you are an idiot.

It's difficult to have a meaningful discussion here, sometimes.

We're not talking about breaking the law. We never were. We're talking about folks who are willing to make legitimate face-to-face sales within their own state, while not choosing to make legitimate shipments to out of state FFL's.

It's no wonder the media twists the truth as they do. Gun owners twist it for them.

WAYNO.

One thing that makes it difficult is finding out what the "real" law is. I had a prolific poster here that lives out of state want to purchase a shot gun I had and told me that he had an FFL to ship it to. Since I was unsure of the laws I called the BATF. What a waste of time that was. I was told that my shipping "should ship from an FFl to another FFL" but in the conversation I could tell that the agent I was talking to wasn't positive or quoting from a source.

What good is it to call the Government agency that's in charge if you can't get an honest answer?

So, I'd say that the folks deciding not to ship it's "Better safe than sorry".

I, for one, won't be visiting him in jail, nor would I buy from him. Guns have a bad enough image without doing illegal deals.

I wasn't saying HE was selling to illegal people,I was countering you claim that it wasn't 'just that easy" when it is.
Even legally,it is just that easy. If you hold the gun,you can sell,OR CHOOSE NOT TO SELL,to whomever you like.
Even considering all the laws,the seller dictates the sale.It's just that easy.

I would probably buy from him,cause he seems to "get it "

YMMV

To sell a gun to someone in another state and ship it is JUST THAT EASY.

1 - you receive payment and a copy of the receiving FFL from the buyer
2 - you hand the gun to your shipping FFL, along with the copy of the receiving FFL, and it's gone

My FFL charges me $25 TOTAL to ship a gun (or receive a gun), including a handgun. He even packs it up for shipping.

Why do some people try to make it so difficult?

Did you mean USPS or UPS? I ask since you list PO next.

IF you meant UPS they ONLY accept firearms at HUB's.

I think that's "handguns" only at HUB's. I ship C&R stuff at my local UPS mail box store all the time.

There is NO law that says you are required to show ID so that is above and beyond legal requirements.................

Correct, but the law does say you (the seller) must be reasonably certain the buyer can legally own a fire arm. Looking at someones ID is one way of doing this.

My FFL charges me $25 TOTAL to ship a gun (or receive a gun), including a handgun. He even packs it up for shipping.

He is loosing money, you can not ship a handgun across country for $25. The average cost of shipping (UPS) a mil-surp C&R is $30+.

FTF is how I roll. I can make a mutually hassle free legal transaction happen in .5 hours time 2 blocks from my house instead of several days of arainging the details, lots of traveling, and lots of paperwork.

Hmmm so still didn't see where it's OK to ship a handgun UPS standard...

FFL CAN ship handguns USPS so that's why they can do it for $25- a flat rate box is at most $15 then they take their $10. Most FFL's aren't this cheap though!!

To sell a gun to someone in another state and ship it is JUST THAT EASY.

1 - you receive payment and a copy of the receiving FFL from the buyer
2 - you hand the gun to your shipping FFL, along with the copy of the receiving FFL, and it's gone

Why do some people try to make it so difficult?

It's not a matter of the law as much as a matter of the convinience. Maybe someone just doesn't want to go to the extra effort it takes to mail the item when all they have to do it get in their car and take a quick drive somewhere.

Cash in hand and transaction complete in just a few minutes is much better then receiving payment, waiting for it to clear, having to box up then go to the post office to ship. Honestly, depending on the sale, it's just not worth the extra effort.

It just depends on the seller and how much effort they want to make for a sale. It's their item to sell how they please.

Sellers in Oregon have it easy FTF, I know I only sell this way. I have purchased firearms online from many states and weither it was a pistol, rifle or shotgun, prefer to do it FTF in Oregon. Face it the guy only wants to sell FTF. Hes is selling his property and doesnt want to get a Box and packaging material and pay for postage and gas to drive to do these things, I dont blame him. I sold a firearm online and the buyer gave me a bad mark on a perfect record, because he said it wasnt the one in the pic when I only had the one and the sale was "as is" which means take it how it comes not whin once you get it. I dont blame this seller for not wanting to ship it is a hassle, and I didnt mention FFL's theres another fee. I would want an $100 on top of shipping and FFL fees just for my time to do the transaction. If you cant find it in your area go to a gunshop and have them order it????? Go take some medicine and lay down.

============================================

Let me see this in a better light:

A buyer with cash in hand in another state who'd probably included additional funds [and copy of his dealr's FFL] to have this rifle insured and sent to his FFL....in addition to the out-state-buyer accepting the risk that the rifle ain't what it appears to be!

Seller would prolly drive some where to meet a potential buyer: obviously seller's time and gas and the risk of fluke accident -of course depending on distance travel- are of no concern, and would make a sale only if buyer showed up!

Rather than go to the nearest USPS store location , which maybe at his local grocery story or a PO station and be able to ship his long gun legally....to an outstate FFL.

Passes on a cash sale right now, a sale that has been going on for a week+ and in all likely hood will continue....during one of the toughest economic times this country has seen in a long time and at Christmas time when $$$ is used for gifts......

This make's perfect sense to me.....:huh::huh:

--------------------------------

Seems to me if selling in one's state only, greatly decreases the chance for a quick sale.

When a cash buyer is knocking on your door who might just be from your neighboring state, shipping to an outstate FFL is less difficult than changing the oil in your car! Regardless if it's a long gun or handgun! When shipping the only problem you might/prolly encounter is the MORON behind the counter, who can't speak American or was hired as a Zombie with no brain...

Ya'll offer to meet a buyer and drive a certain number of mile's, who may or may not show up....loonacy...loonacy...doing this also suggest that one's time has NO VALUE!
Actually it's not that one's time is not valuable it is that one is just plain intellectually lazy about educating one's self on the simplicty of shipping: Example..

I offered a Seller here nearly $100 more than he was asking and that price included ship/ins to my FFL... 1) he did not need an FFL to ship; 2) I led him to a link that informed him how to ship a handgun legally to my FFL using GROUND SERVICE via UPS. I have not heard a word from him...!!!!

Just can't quite get a handle on the negative attiditude about shipping!

Okay, I am sorta disgusted with tunnel vision sellers and I hope most of you, will at least consider the message before killing*** this messenger. Plus, I've been up since 3a.m. not being able to breathe cause of a freeking horrible head cold and pounding headache....:(:(

***just a fig'r of speech

Guess I just had to get this outta my system...

There's a lot of stuff I could have sold faster or for more money if I had been willing to ship, but to me, it's not worth the hassle.

I hate having to deal with paypal or wait for a check or money order to arrive, then clear. I hate boxing crap up and dealing with the jerkwad postmaster when I go to ship it. Then I have to worry about whether the buyer will be happy with what I shipped, since he couldn't inspect it himself the way you can in a FTF deal. If shipping guns, then you have to deal with a FFL and make sure you're not selling something to a state where it may or may not be legal.

Now if I was selling high end or rare, expensive stuff, then yeah, it would obviously make more sense to ship, since that's the only way that kind of stuff will ever sell in the crappy towns I live/have lived in, but I only own cheap junk, and I'm not going to go through the trouble of shipping it to a cornhusker when I know eventually it will sell to someone local, even if it takes a long time.

If you don't like a seller's terms, then don't buy from them. There's good deals up north I miss out on all the time because it's too far to drive, not worth the cost of shipping, or too many other vultures snagging up the good deals before I can get them, but I don't get my panties in a ruffle over it.

Maybe you should move to Oregon.

I think that's "handguns" only at HUB's. I ship C&R stuff at my local UPS mail box store all the time.

UPS: Shipping Firearms

Note: Firearms (including handguns) are not accepted for shipment via, UPS Drop Boxes, UPS On-Call PickupSM, or at locations of The UPS Store® or any third party retailer.
When you are shipping a package that contains a handgun, you must verbally notify the UPS driver or UPS Customer Center clerk.
See the terms and conditions in the UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service for information regarding firearm shipments

Correct, but the law does say you (the seller) must be reasonably certain the buyer can legally own a fire arm. Looking at someones ID is one way of doing this.

What does ID tell you about anyones legal status? Plenty of felons and crack heads have ID........... All that ID will tell you (assuming you are talking about a DL) is that a person can legally drive...........

He is loosing money, you can not ship a handgun across country for $25. The average cost of shipping (UPS) a mil-surp C&R is $30+.

As stated FFL's can use USPS and flat rate boxes can ship out for ~$10 that would fit most handguns and take 2-3 days to deliver.

Seems to me Seller sets the terms as noted earlier. Don't like the terms do not buy

I remember a person in Washington had a gun up for sale and the only thing he would take for ID was A CHL. It is the only ID that you could say - this person has had a background check and is a reasonable risk.

So the only reasonable ID would be a CHL. That means everyone should get a CHL even to get a Drivers License?
In the liberal NW that drive a few politicans crazy.

Now I can tell you- general DL ID is about worthless. Oregon confirmed that when they were giving away drivers licenses to illegal aliens and other people.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top