JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey i have a question about buyer\seller etiquette when it comes to private sales that i wanted opinions about. I had a rifle for sale with a priceobo and received text from someone interested in buying the rifle. So i and the possible buyer went back and fourth about price and came to the point were i accepted the offer he gave me. now this buyer was to show up for the face to face before 2pm because i had to be at work. well luck has it that he was stuck in traffic and i had to go to work. Now later we texted about meeting again and i informed him that i may have to work over at my job (which meant later than normal for i work 1400-2200)which i ended up doing. i stated to him i would contact him in the morning to let him know if we were able to arrange another time because i knew i would not be waking up early the next day. while at work i received another text from another potential buyer stating he would offer me more than my asking price so i went ahead and told him to contact me in the morning which her did earlier than the other potential buyer written of earlier. so i went ahead and went with the offer from the second buyer(which again was more than i was asking for). So this buyer posted on my thread spf..i guess to let others know he had dibs..i didn't not write that nor did i care for that really but whatever. My point on that is to me the rifle was still for sale as he did not make the first arranged meeting so i went ahead with the next offer. Now the first buyer is upset having seen that the other potential buyer posted on my thread SPF saying we had a bi-lateral agreement and that he would leave feedback on my page(which im sure is not going to be good) and i informed him why i went with the other offer and also i believe its because he is not thinking about this from my point of view and is upset.Now my question is did i do something wrong in this situation? should i have kept him with live updates of other offers? i normally would not care but i don't want a bad rep for being a liar on here because i may want to do another sale or buy. So i come to my firearm peers and ask what did i do wrong(if i did) and what could i do better (if i could have) to not make someone feel i f**ked them.

The way I see it is its your stuff until the cash changes hands, you can sell it to who ever you want. On the other hand I would not back out on an agreement if a buyer was on the way and expending gasoline, that would be poor form.

yea, you should have told the first buyer, "Hey, I got an offer for more money so either match it or im going to sell it to buyer #2" Then if he got pissy you could have said that you already gave him a chance and he missed the meeting. should have given him a chance to match the price though.

I get the gas thing and i told him that sucks but can one say the same thing at a job interview one is to be to at a set time ,place and date?....also sorry for my poor paragraph i didn't know that i would have to defend that too..i sure hope you have that same zeal when it comes to defending our rights with the situation we as firearm owners as you do with looking for people to correct on forums...lol

ok maybe my bad on the not informing him on the other offer but can anyone see the point on one not showing up for a arranged meeting? should i have put my selling the rifle on hold for someone that missed the first meeting? should i not take offers for more money because of someone perceived being backed out on? come on now we all know how life works ,we are all growweds up and we also know that the world keeps moving and does not stop for one person no matter if they perceived to be wronged by it.

So, did you want our opinions, or for us to tell you it's ok? You have 5+ people telling you how they feel, but you still want to plead your case. I would be mad as a buyer, because stuff does happen in"the real world" It's not like he no showed you. I understand schedules, and hate it when people (myself included) are late, but stuff happens. I would have at least given him the chance to match the offer, otherwise it seems (to me) he would have reason to leave negative feedback. You could explain your side of it, and if the next buyer or seller was willing to risk the same situation, they could. That said, it's your rifle til money changes hands, it's up to you how many friends you make in the process.

If he was stuck in Traffic and in good faith missed the meet but was still in contact attempting to set another meet up then I dont think I would go back on my word. I look at deals made like this to be the same as a handshake with a honorable man and would have done everything I could (to a point) of keeping my arraignment with the first guy. It's a point of honor with me though.

Your question was regarding etiquette but it seems like you are just trying to defend your decision. To me, he made an attempt to meet you. Its not his fault that traffic slowed him down. He was on the road to your house. You had to go to work and told him youd call him and reschedule the appt. Its not like he was blowing you off, he made an honest attempt to meet you. Instead of rescheduling which would have been good etiquette, or informing him that you had a higher offer in the interim and could he match the price which would have been good etiquette, you chose the greedy approach which was to blow off buyer #1 completely and just sell it for more money which, in my opinion, was poor etiquette. Business is business but the question wasnt about business, it was about etiquette. Do onto others, right?

l
ater we texted about meeting again and i informed him that i may have to work over at my job (which meant later than normal for i work 1400-2200)which i ended up doing. i stated to him i would contact him in the morning to let him know if we were able to arrange another time because i knew i would not be waking up early the next day.

Sounds like you reneged on the deal.......

Hey i have a question about buyer\seller etiquette when it comes to private sales that i wanted opinions about. I had a rifle for sale with a priceobo and received text from someone interested in buying the rifle. So i and the possible buyer went back and fourth about price and came to the point were i accepted the offer he gave me. now this buyer was to show up for the face to face before 2pm because i had to be at work. well luck has it that he was stuck in traffic and i had to go to work. Now later we texted about meeting again and i informed him that i may have to work over at my job (which meant later than normal for i work 1400-2200)which i ended up doing. i stated to him i would contact him in the morning to let him know if we were able to arrange another time because i knew i would not be waking up early the next day. while at work i received another text from another potential buyer stating he would offer me more than my asking price so i went ahead and told him to contact me in the morning which her did earlier than the other potential buyer written of earlier. so i went ahead and went with the offer from the second buyer(which again was more than i was asking for). So this buyer posted on my thread spf..i guess to let others know he had dibs..i didn't not write that nor did i care for that really but whatever. My point on that is to me the rifle was still for sale as he did not make the first arranged meeting so i went ahead with the next offer. Now the first buyer is upset having seen that the other potential buyer posted on my thread SPF saying we had a bi-lateral agreement and that he would leave feedback on my page(which im sure is not going to be good) and i informed him why i went with the other offer and also i believe its because he is not thinking about this from my point of view and is upset.Now my question is did i do something wrong in this situation? should i have kept him with live updates of other offers? i normally would not care but i don't want a bad rep for being a liar on here because i may want to do another sale or buy. So i come to my firearm peers and ask what did i do wrong(if i did) and what could i do better (if i could have) to not make someone feel i f**ked them.

YOU agreed to sell to the first buyer...You gave YOUR word therefore you should have continued the sale to the first buyer..

YOU agreed to sell to the first buyer...You gave YOUR word therefore you should have continued the sale to the first buyer..

if you agree to a price and a deal stick to it. Period. Even to say to this guy someone else will pay more do you want to match it is better then selling out from under him but its still a crap deal.

If you do a OBO post fine, but when you take an offer the deal is done. If your not sure tell the offer "let me think on it for a day", if a higher offer comes in great as there was no deal to be broken.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top