JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Should I sell two pistols to buy one?

• Yes.

Votes: 29 80.6%
  • No.

Votes: 7 19.4%

• Total voters
We all have our own pet peeves (mine is finger on the trigger in pictures) but if there's an issue calling a revolver a pistol you'll have to take it up with Samuel Colt. In his 1839 Patent application he states "Figure 11 is a sectional view of a pistol"

Maybe the common usage changed...but I'm an old soul.

When Samuel Colt invented the first practical revolver, all handguns were "pistols" - because there were no revolvers. So when describing his invention to the Patent Office that's the term he used. But after his revolvers became popular Colt differentiated their revolvers from their "automatic" pistols.

s-l300.jpg
s-l1000.jpg

Why would Colt say revolvers AND pistols if revolvers are pistols? Why didn't they call them all pistols?

Legally a revolver is a pistol. Pistols can be revolvers, semiautomatic, single shot, and many other styles.

Not really. The ATF differentiates revolvers from pistols. Handguns can be revolvers or pistols, but revolvers are revolvers and pistols are pistols. Just as magazines are magazines and clips are clips, even though many people use the terms interchangeably. That doesn't mean it's right.

Firearms Verification
Gun Control Act Definitions

Pistol

18 U.S.C., § 921(A)(29) and 27 CFR § 478.11

The term "Pistol" means a weapon originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile (bullet) from one or more barrels when held in one hand, and having:
  • a chamber(s) as an integral part(s) of, or permanently aligned with, the bore(s);
  • and a short stock designed to be gripped by one hand at an angle to and extending below the line of the bore(s).

68cixef-png.png

A revolver obviously doesn't have "chamber(s) as an integral part(s) of, or permanently aligned with, the bore(s)" and therefore doesn't meet the definition of a pistol.

Similarly, Oregon law differentiates handguns into pistols and revolvers.

Definition from Oregon Revised Statutes

"Handgun" means any pistol OR revolver using a fixed cartridge containing a propellant charge, primer and projectile, and designed to be aimed or fired otherwise than from the shoulder.

Why would Oregon law state "pistol" OR "revolver" if legally a revolver is a pistol? Both pistols and revolvers are legally classified as HANDGUNS, just as both boys and girls can be classified as children, but they aren't the same thing as each other.

The two basic types of HANDGUNS:

Pistol
S354b.jpg

Revolver
wqjna13-jpg.jpg

Pistol
remington-41-short-derringer-jpg.jpg

Revolver
9ujxlss-jpg.jpg

Pistol
dsc_0990-20medium_zps2a0tgvgp-jpg.jpg

Revolver
ysdws8t-jpg.jpg

Pistol
db15_7-5_black_logo_1_-jpg.jpg

Revolver
31986-default-l-jpg.jpg

differences-between-revolvers-and-pistols.jpg

5mmouw-jpg.jpg

Just as with calling a magazine a "clip" as if they are the same thing, even though many people incorrectly call revolvers "pistols" as if they are the same thing, there is a difference! ;)

-their-proper-name-e2-80-9d-e2-80-95-confucius-jpg.jpg

Last Edited:
Yes, I'd dump Taurus and move a Smith and Wesson or Ruger. Considering the OP, I'd op for an older, no Hillary hole S&W 640 but for current production would lean toward a Ruger SP101, but personally for this class of firearm I prefer some light weight in .38spl like the S&W 442/642 but that's just me, I'd love find a Model 12.

Many places I have lived the terms are identical. Consider the CPL. And a revolver is generally a subcategory of handgun? Handgun is generally synonymous with pistol. As can be noted. Colt called the revolver a pistol. In general parlance a .357 lever gun is considered a pistol caliber carbine. Now primarily those are wheel guns.

The clip/magazine distinction and silencer/suppressor distinction are historically bunk. Generally done as a means of snobbery. I have to laugh at the guy who went off on me and my brother for asking for a clip of SKS ammo. (Stripper clip mind you)

But historically the terms are mostly interchangeable.

Let's look at the atf definition of revolver. Firearms - Guides - Importation & Verification of Firearms - Gun Control Act Definition - Revolver | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

Last Edited:
I nearly didnt look at this thread cause I'm interested in revolvers, and not pistols. If you call a revolver a pistol you lose part of your potential audience. Some people consider a revolver a type of pistol. Plenty of us dont. Call a revolver a revolver and you get the entire audience who might be interested instead of just part of it.

Last Edited:
In the TV series, "Gunsmoke." Festus Hagen often called revolvers "pistols." That's not very authoritative, though.
So did this guy...
3gchab.jpg
Also, LeBoef (Glen Campbell) says, "She draws him like a pistol!" in reference to Maddie's lawyer J Noble Daggett... of Yell County.

What a great movie.

All that aside, I don't use the words revolver and pistol interchangeably... one is one, the other is something else.

Finger OFF the trigger, Maddie... ya twit.

Also... I just realized that I have a coat/jacket that is almost exactly the same as Duke's in this picture (and the movie). I never even noticed that before.. I think I'll wear it today.

I also should not drink an entire pot of coffee by myself
:rolleyes:

Last Edited:
What is the point of arguing about calling something revolvers/pistols, silencers/suppressors, gun/rifle, etc. ? We all know what you mean so who cares?
My thought exactly. It's so childish. And it just make you look like an bubblegum who thinks they are an expert. Even if you are why tell someone they are an idiot just because YOU personally dont like the word. Grow up people use right words in the wrong place everyday.

What is the point of arguing about calling something revolvers/pistols, silencers/suppressors, gun/rifle, etc. ? We all know what you mean so who cares?
In general I agree with you on this but I do see times where it is important.

Suppressors for instance … the general population thinks in terms of "silencers" and we all know they are not silent like in the movies. So I prefer to use the more correct suppressor as a term. More than a few times I've had non-shooters ask what I'm talking about. This gave me an opportunity to impart a little wisdom and correct some misconceptions. Will it change their hearts and minds turning them in to voting 2A positive? Who knows but it can't hurt.

I also wish the firearm community would lose the term "weapon". Yes I know they are weapons, and I proudly served as a Marine and know the difference "between a weapon and a gun" (in all the term's variations). Knowing this, I also know that when these words make it out to the population at large, whether it's a web posting, talking head on TV, etc., they impact non-shooters differently than those of us that hang around sites like this one. The impact is rarely positive.

This is just my thinking on the subject, I'm not going to change much in the real world by watching words more closely, but I can't help but think there could be an improvement if the entire shooting community began to do things like this. Little things can compound into very big things!

Regarding the term pistol:

Words change meaning over time, which is why we see things like the ATF precisely defining a term in their statutes. They want to ensure there is little to no confusion regarding the statutes meaning.

The term pistol was used all the way back to the earliest muzzle-loading hand guns. Marketing literature in the early days of the revolver many times called it a "revolving pistol" to differentiate and better describe the new product. This is why Colt's started the term auto-pistol, to differentiate and segment the market's understanding of the different products they were offering. So the terms have been interchanged, have changed, and have been shortened by the user community so that today we talk in terms of Automatics (even though they are not) and Revolvers and those in the community know what is being communited.

Now ...

That said ...

There still is a difference between a magazine and a clip and the terms must not be interchanged!!!!!!!

:eek: Ducking now ...

Well, some people in this thread didn't know the OP was only interested in revolvers because he kept saying pistol pistol pistol. That's why they asked him if he was interested in a semiauto because he kept saying pistol.

Are you looking for a wheelgun or open to semi autos? If the latter then a P-01 or Glock 19 or S&W 3.6" 2.0 would be suitable. Rails for lights for home defense, small enough for summertime IWB.

Grand Power or Beretta PX4 pistols. These are accurate, dependable and rotational barrels that give them 250,000+ round lifespans. Best value for the dollar on the market, available in a variety of calibers. .40 or .45 should please you, although some of the new 9X19 ammo is IMPRESSIVE. One of these will serve you as a lifetime gun. And there are both compact and full-size versions. I'm a buyer by profession, and these two brands are VERY SMART buys!

Oh, and don't overlook a used Stoeger Cougar. Beretta owns Stoeger, they kept producing the Cougar after Beretta developed the PX4. Also rotational, available in the three main calibers and outstanding performers. Which might also save you some money!

So saying pistol when he really meant revolver caused confusion among people who know a pistol is not a revolver.

My thought exactly. It's so childish. And it just make you look like an bubblegum who thinks they are an expert. Even if you are why tell someone they are an idiot just because YOU personally dont like the word. Grow up people use right words in the wrong place everyday.

Where was anyone told they were an "idiot"? Please point that out, I missed that. I even used smileys to try and convey a friendly tone, but you clearly read something else into it. Maybe that's you being overly sensitive, not me being mean.

Who said I "personally don't like the word" pistol? I like the word pistol. I use it all the time: pistol pistol pistol. I just like to use it correctly.

Sure, grown up people use words incorrectly everyday. Like the gun controllers who say a "barrel shroud" is "the shoulder thing that goes up"

(she also said "large capacity clips")

or the gun controller that talked about "ghost guns" and "30 caliber clips" and "30 magazine clips in half a second"

or the guy who talked about a "full semiautomatic" rifle

I guess some people are cool with using firearms terminology as sloppily and carelessly and inaccurately as gun controllers use it. I think we as gun owners should try to use firearms terminology more correctly than gun controllers do. If you are OK with calling a revolver a pistol, or a magazine a clip, then you should also be OK with calling a barrel shroud the shoulder thing that goes up, talking about 30 magazine clips in half a second, and full semiautomatic fire. Who cares, what's the difference, it's "childish" to care about using firearms terminology more correctly and accurate than a typical gun controller.

We're shooters, who cares about accuracy, right? At the range or on the Internet. It's childish. As long as you hit anywhere on the target, who cares, what difference does it make? (that's sarcasm for those who didn't get it)

By the way, why is there a Handgun Discussion forum here that is divided into Semi-Automatic Pistols and Revolvers subforums? Shouldn't we have just one forum called Pistols?? It's childish, they're all the same thing. Who cares, what's the difference? :p

Last Edited:
I just wanted to ask a simple question about selling some guns to buy a different gun.

Call it a pistol, revolver, pistola, rivoletta....it's still a free country and English is an evolving language. So do what you want.

There's no need for chest thumping on this issue.

I've made my decision so the point of this thread has come to fruition.

Thank you to everyone that provided constructive advice.

I'm locking this thread.

Safe shooting.

Regardless, I think there's been good information passed back and forth, and possibly some learning as well.

I didn't get involved in the argument, but just the same I think the discussion was a good one without bashing.

Just as important, I'm glad you made a decision in your question. I think I saw your two revolvers for sale? I'm sure you'll get one that makes you happy and proud to own which will replace your current two.

357 Magnum or 38Special and 38Special Plus P calibers?

Smith and Wesson Model 60 and 686 are outstanding handguns. I used to own those models among some other firearms when I still owned, shot and carried handguns.

Are you open to single action revolvers? I love the Ruger brand and owned a few in various calibers. I only owned single action revolvers (New model.) in the Ruger brand personally.

I never owned one but my MT husband owned and carried a Ruger SP101 in 357Magnum too.

My handguns were in the GLOCK brand, Smith and Wesson brand and in the Ruger brand.

I did own one other handgun in a Pietta (?) or in some other Italian name brand that was supposed to be good - Navy something model and in B/P but I never shot it or learned how to shoot it back east. My late husband's cancer was discovered and I was dealing with that and caregiving at home. That gun and all of it's STUFF that I was going to learn how to use and shoot did not come out west with me.

So I basically only owned 3 main brand names in HANDGUNS, I not talking about rifles now, plus the b/p one in my life.

I am not talking about the VERY FEW guns that my late husband personally owned or the MANY former guns that my MT husband owned.

Me? I would sell 2 handguns (Or a rifle if I wanted to try something new too.) to buy 1 handgun IF I really wanted another brand, style, caliber, warranty, etc. Plus for the reliability where I knew that Smith and Wesson, Ruger or Glock would take care of me IF and when I ever needed their help in the future. I did not need their help but it was there for me and I only bought NIB guns too.

We don't own any 357Magnum caliber s/a or d/a revolvers or 357Magnum caliber lever action rifles any longer but it is a SWEET caliber for sure!

Best wishes to you!

Old Lady Cate

Last Edited:
Assuming that you can get back what you paid. YES.

If not......

IMHO, wait a while before you sell the two (or the one) that you have broken even on. Meanwhile, just buy the third handgun. Shoot them and enjoy them all.

OK, Ok, ok......you mentioned that you're downsizing. But.....know that the bank will only give less than 1% interest on your money in your savings account.

Aloha, Mark

PS....my S&W revolvers are all more expensive than when I bought them.;) Buy.....with an idea that someday, you might have to/be forced to sell.:eek:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top