JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Should I sell two pistols to buy one?

• Yes.

Votes: 29 80.6%
  • No.

Votes: 7 19.4%

• Total voters
I think part of the fun of the situation is the opportunity to upgrade. No more Tauruses.

Some people might be able to shoot a gun with no sights accurately enough to consider it a camping gun. But most cant. But I suppose it comes down to what you need in a camping gun. I figure it includes being able to take a deer out to 50 yards if needed, as well as small game. And it should be enjoyable to shoot for recreation. And it of course should be good as self defense against any wild animals relevant as well as bad people. If the latter is your sole concern, and your biggest baddest wild animals are black bears, any functional .357 loaded with bear loads will do.

My criterion of needing to be able to hunt deer with my woods gun isn't because I do. Only because if SHTF while I'm out there, whatever I'm carrying might be all I have for the rest of my life. In which case being able to hunt deer with it would matter.

I guess I live a charmed and blessed life, I've had a half dozen Taurus revolvers over the years and each has served me well without issues, they're not Smith's or Colt's, but for me have been a cost conscience alternative...

YMMV

I guess I live a charmed and blessed life, I've had a half dozen Taurus revolvers over the years and each has served me well without issues, they're not Smith's or Colt's, but for me have been a cost conscience alternative...

YMMV
I agree, the issues lie with their semiautos not their revolvers. Have had quite a few and never an issue.:s0155:

I have a 2" SP101 and it serves me well. If you must have 6 (or 7) rounds, I'd recommend a 2.5" or 3" GP100. A fair amount bigger but extra rounds and easier recoil. There are also versions of the 686 that would work, but I'm side plate adverse and prefer Ruger's construction. If you shop around and are okay with used, I've managed to pick up more than one GP100 under $400 in the last 5 years. $500 should be easy to stay under.

With that said, I don't really sell guns due to time/cost/fees/hassle. I only grow the stable.

Good luck!

Grand Power or Beretta PX4 pistols. These are accurate, dependable and rotational barrels that give them 250,000+ round lifespans. Best value for the dollar on the market, available in a variety of calibers. .40 or .45 should please you, although some of the new 9X19 ammo is IMPRESSIVE. One of these will serve you as a lifetime gun. And there are both compact and full-size versions. I'm a buyer by profession, and these two brands are VERY SMART buys!

Oh, and don't overlook a used Stoeger Cougar. Beretta owns Stoeger, they kept producing the Cougar after Beretta developed the PX4. Also rotational, available in the three main calibers and outstanding performers. Which might also save you some money!View attachment 632706View attachment 632707View attachment 632708
Might I suggest also keeping eyes open for Beretta Cougars. Mine was priced low on gunbroker. Less than the stoegers on a BIN.

But since the original question was wheelguns, Taurus is relatively inexpensive, and I would personally carry a ruger security six, speed six or sp101. I own a few ruger wheel guns and they are fantastic. I bought one from a member here that had a trigger job and it is fantastic. I have yet to feel a better trigger on a wheelgun. However, stock ones are quite good. I would however avoid the LCR series. Mine in .38 special has recoil that is painful and I enjoy shooting .454 casull. I would not want to think of one in .357.

Taurus Model M85 Ultralight - This has been my summer time (or deep conceal) EDC for several years. It's a nice little pistol and wears well but can't fire .357

What pistol do you recommend?
I appreciate everyone's feedback. Some great advice. I'm leaning towards selling both pistols. If and when I do I'll try to post an update.

Sorry, I gotta say something because it's a pet peeve of mine, but revolvers aren't pistols. There are two types of handguns: pistols, and revolvers. ;)

But to answer your question, if you are looking for a new revolver, consider the Kimber K6s.

dsc_0931a-jpg.jpg

All stainless, .357 magnum, 6 shots. Uses Colt Cobra or Detective Special speed loaders. Available with Crimson Trace laser grips as an option.

Sorry, I gotta say something because it's a pet peeve of mine, but revolvers aren't pistols. There are two types of handguns: pistols, and revolvers. ;)

We all have our own pet peeves (mine is finger on the trigger in pictures) but if there's an issue calling a revolver a pistol you'll have to take it up with Samuel Colt. In his 1839 Patent application he states "Figure 11 is a sectional view of a pistol"

Maybe the common usage changed...but I'm an old soul.

We all have our own pet peeves (mine is finger on the trigger in pictures) but if there's an issue calling a revolver a pistol you'll have to take it up with Samuel Colt. In his 1839 Patent application he states "Figure 11 is a sectional view of a pistol"

In the TV series, "Gunsmoke." Festus Hagen often called revolvers "pistols." That's not very authoritative, though. Actually, meant as a joke. I myself am somewhat of a purist; I specifically say revolver or pistol. Or simply handgun. My dad played it safe, he always called them sidearms.

Thinking about Festus, before there were revolvers, there were single shots. Those were called pistols, weren't they? So when revolvers came along, perhaps some people kept calling them pistols because of their predecessors. "Froggie went a courtin;, he did ride, uh-huh. ...Sword and pistol by his side, uh-huh.: Froggie didn't have a Glock or 1911.

Legally a revolver is a pistol. Pistols can be revolvers, semiautomatic, single shot, and many other styles.

In the TV series, "Gunsmoke." Festus Hagen often called revolvers "pistols." That's not very authoritative, though. Actually, meant as a joke. I myself am somewhat of a purist; I specifically say revolver or pistol. Or simply handgun. My dad played it safe, he always called them sidearms.

Thinking about Festus, before there were revolvers, there were single shots. Those were called pistols, weren't they? So when revolvers came along, perhaps some people kept calling them pistols because of their predecessors. "Froggie went a courtin;, he did ride, uh-huh. ...Sword and pistol by his side, uh-huh.: Froggie didn't have a Glock or 1911.
I was shooting an 1844 pistol yesterday. converted to percussion from flint

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top