JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Should I sell two pistols to buy one?

• Yes.

Votes: 29 80.6%
  • No.

Votes: 7 19.4%

• Total voters
Reactions
Hey Folks,

I have two wheel guns that have served me well in the past but, having a mind for minimizing some of my possessions, I've been giving more thought to selling the two and trying to find a "one size fits all"

The guns I have:

Taurus Model M85 Ultralight - This has been my summer time (or deep conceal) EDC for several years. It's a nice little pistol and wears well but can't fire .357

Taurus Model M66 - This has been my camping revolver for several years. I like the 7 round capacity and .357 mag. Shooting the .357 rounds isn't half bad and sending .38 special downrange is cake.

Where I need help:

I've been thinking about selling both and buying something in between. The requirements being that it could still be easily concealed during the summer time and also be capable of shooting .357

Just buying a third gun isn't an option for me. I'm the type of guy that if I buy something new then something old has to go.

What pistol do you recommend?

Should I keep the two I have and forget this dream of a "one size fits all" ?

Are you looking for a wheelgun or open to semi autos? If the latter then a P-01 or Glock 19 or S&W 3.6" 2.0 would be suitable. Rails for lights for home defense, small enough for summertime IWB.

Are you looking for a wheelgun or open to semi autos? If the latter then a P-01 or Glock 19 or S&W 3.6" 2.0 would be suitable. Rails for lights for home defense, small enough for summertime IWB.

Sticking with wheelguns for this question. I have semi-autos I like in my rotation.

I'd ask, what's the market for the two you want to give up. If the answer is, "not good," there is that problem. Then the hassle in paperwork and time involved in making a switch may be more obstacle than it's worth. One approach might be to buy whatever it is that you really want, then place the two unwanted revolvers for sale on consignment somewhere. Then you just forget about them until the dealer calls and says "It/they sold." Yes, you won't get as much out of them but using a consignment dealer takes all the run-around and paperwork out of it. Trading them in toward a new revolver usually results in a low return. Selling them outright to a dealer also usually nets low. Worst place to sell a gun: Cabela's.

Different people have different approaches to letting go of things they no longer want or need. Or have to part with for some reason. Some people spend a lot of time and energy doing it, trying to squeeze the last nickel out of the object. Others are more casual about it. Once they decide they want to get rid of it, they want it gone and quickest and easiest way the better.

I'm not a fan of concealable .357 revolvers. At least not a fan of firing them with .357 loads.

I changed my vote.
Because honestly you should probably just get a good 4" in addition, like a SP101 or 686.

Shampoo and conditioner don't do either well...
Having a third gun that is in between won't hurt, but selling your guns that serve their purpose well will hurt.

also, with the worth of those two you're still short $100 if you buy new. There is just no resell in the Taurus brand, even tho they are fine revolvers.

Buy something new then something old has to go?

Solution to your conundrum.... Dump the wife (or girlfriend) and buy a new.357 SP101.... ;):D

F12535C8-0719-4988-B175-2E928C856EE6.jpeg

Last Edited:
Selling a gun or two to get a new or new to you gun...Yes I have done this.

It may make sense to do so if....
The gun you get has more value than the one or two that you sell.
By value I ain't just talking dollar value but use value...if the new gun is more useful to you , then that is a important consideration.

That said...
What with all the BGC's , Fees and whatnot involved now with private sales...it might also be good to save your cash up over time and just buy the new or new to you gun , without selling yours.
Plus if you trade in with a retail store , the trade in value , usually isn't that good for you....Yes I know that the store needs to make money on both in coming and out going firearms...but still....

I haven't really found a "one size fits all " firearm of any type...
Some do indeed "Crossover well"...but only really excel at one thing.
Andy

I would purchase the 3rd gun, keep the first two. One does not know how he wants to dress on any given day. Can also make a lunch box gun, pack bag gun. Cant really have too many.
I had a 2 1/2" 357 once...nasty bark. I favor a 44 spec shorty as a carry wheel gun. Again, depends on what I am doing and what I am wearing.
The SP101 as mentioned, is a good choice.

Grand Power or Beretta PX4 pistols. These are accurate, dependable and rotational barrels that give them 250,000+ round lifespans. Best value for the dollar on the market, available in a variety of calibers. .40 or .45 should please you, although some of the new 9X19 ammo is IMPRESSIVE. One of these will serve you as a lifetime gun. And there are both compact and full-size versions. I'm a buyer by profession, and these two brands are VERY SMART buys!

Oh, and don't overlook a used Stoeger Cougar. Beretta owns Stoeger, they kept producing the Cougar after Beretta developed the PX4. Also rotational, available in the three main calibers and outstanding performers. Which might also save you some money! ! Cougar.jpg ! Beretta PX4.jpg !  GP Q1S.jpg

I do occasionally sell guns simply for the space. I have fallen to consumerism over the years and want to trim down my physical possessions to ones that I actually use.

You have two Tauruses. Sounds like they are good for Tauruses. Tauruses can be pretty good, but quality control is terrible. So if you sell one or both, you cannot count on replacing them. That's one factor. Another factor: though you can get revolvers that are much lighter than your M66 Taurus that can shoot .357, they aren't likely to be pleasant to shoot with full power .357.

I'd suggest considering buying a SW revolver to potentially replace your full size M66 Taurus that might be a bit more concealable.

"Buddy", my EDC, is a SW 686-4 snubby and is very concealable as well as a fine woods/camping gun. It weighs 36 oz unloaded. Full underlug gives it the muzzle-heavy balance balance I like and makes it easy and pleasant to shoot even with full .357 mag loads and the 2.5 inch barrel. Easy to carry and conceal in holster on belt, or in fanny pack, purse, or coat pocket. I have a Crimson Trace grip on mine. It was the main flock defender when I had a duck flock. Canceled quite a few racoons, possums, skunks, and even a couple of foxes. Length 7.5 inches. Height 5 5/8 inches. Kitty-corner length 9 inches. Superb SA and DA trigger. Pre-loc. New versions have the lock but can be had as 686 Plus, with 7 rd capacity. Buddy is heavier than many people want for an EDC. But its size and dimensions are easy to conceal. And that's the weight I need in a gun to shoot accurately. (I'm not accurate with lighter guns.)

I would suggest getting a 686 or 686 Plus snubby and keeping your two Tauruses initially. The SW will be likely to be a much better gun than your Taurus M66. But will it shoot as well for you? Individual guns can vary a lot. If the 686 performs better for you than the Taurus M66, it can replace that gun. Then the question will be do you like it better for cc than your light wt .38 only Taurus. In my experience, it takes a good bit of living with and carrying a new gun to answer that question. I'm lots more likely to carry an overly large or heavy gun when its a new purchase. On the other hand, it usually takes me months plus a number of different holsters to find the best way to carry any particular new gun. If, over the months, you find yourself happy to carry the 686, you will have found your gun that works for both cc and camping niches.

I would never carry a Taurus. I've owned two in the past and had issues with both. Quality over quantity every time.

Plus they have no "pride of ownership" factor. If I'm going to strap something to my hip all day, I've got to love everything about it.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top