JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What would you do ? With the prices of guns thru the roof right now it is very tempting to sell some of my guns which are pretty desirable right now ( particularly AK"s) that just sit in the safe , but on the other hand , once they are gone the possibility exists that they may not be available in the future ! Don't need the money but don't really need 60+ guns either (although some might argue with that ). Thoughts ?

What would you do ? With the prices of guns thru the roof right now it is very tempting to sell some of my guns which are pretty desirable right now ( particularly AK"s) that just sit in the safe , but on the other hand , once they are gone the possibility exists that they may not be available in the future ! Don't need the money but don't really need 60+ guns either (although some might argue with that ). Thoughts ?

If you at all thinking that it may not be available in the future keep it!

It's hard to say. It's like trying to predict the stock market. If you think Trump will win the reelection, then likely we're at or near a high point, as things would hopefully die down 6-12 months after the election. If Biden wins, prices could much higher, especially if he were to implement any of the anti 2A B.S. he's campaigned on. Then you have other variables, like an ongoing pandemic, civil unrest, etc., that could also positively or negatively effect either outcome.

Personally, I buy my guns to shoot them. I have a low round count HK SP5 that I could probably make $1k on right now, but I didn't buy it for that purpose. To me, it's worth more in my safe. If you have any guns you don't feel that way about, I'd say take the money and run.

Im in the same exact boat.
I have many firearms.. Ill always enjoy firearms.. but I could probably sell half of what I own and use the money for other things.

Demand is high now, it'll be higher in October before the November election. But this demand bubble will drastically die down if Trump is elected.. the inflated values will certainly level off.

If it is something you'll miss then don't sell it.

Trade across so you aren't out. Or better yet just hold onto.

Not like the factories making guns are going out of biz any time soon since they've had record setting sales this year. Prices are high from demand currently and it's an election year. Just hold on to it for now and wait, there really isn't much of a good selection on shelves, better off trading for something you want that someone else may have excess of.

Do you really need that 20th AR that does the same thing the first 5 you bought do already?

I would argue - why did you buy them all to begin with if selling them for seemingly no good reason is now the thought.

edit: I could understand speculative selling with the thought Trump wins election and gun prices take a dive - buy back what you sold and have some money on top leftover - funny thing though - a lot of people speculative bought thinking Hillary would win, then they had a lot of ETS magazines they didn't want and couldn't get their money back.

Last Edited:
Ah, the age old dilemma.......once its gone will I regret it later on. You can get on many a firearms forum and see that "Wish I'd never sold that" phrase. I've been there myself. Still, I have a few that I never shoot and are worth more as cash in hand vs taking up space in a safe. I'd have to sleep on it though.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I can't say I really regret any gun I sold off. There were some that weren't worth the effort. And, maybe, some I cared about years ago. But now? Can't really think of a single one. :s0092:

I sold one rifle that I was probably never going to shoot - at least not much - a .50 BMG rifle.

I may sell a revolver that I bought half on a whim, half not (I did want a .45 revolver but now I question whether I need it or not). I really like it, but I don't really need it.

Of the 60+ guns, how many do you need? Do you have enough (along with ammo and spares) for family/friends/neighbors if SHTF? If so, then are there guns left over that you don't really care for and could get a good price for?

If you are not hurting for $ and your budget allows for getting other guns you want, then why sell?

I have more than I will probably need, but maybe someday I will need some of what I have - I don't think I have spares, especially considering that if SHTF I may not have enough. Now I am on a "fixed" retirement income, I am a lot more careful about what I buy - being on a lower budget - so I am back to the philosophy of only buying guns and ammo with the $ I have from selling guns/ammo.

As I faded away into retirement last year, I found myself in a similar predicament. When do you have enough? Do I need cash or space in the safe? Will my spoiled kids want a couple dozen firearms to keep or deal with when I'm gone (nope)?

Four years from now there will be another surge of "assault weapon" insanity and ammo shortages to make everyone nervous about and four years from now, or twenty years, your firearms will be worth even more money. So do you have enough?

I enjoy the bubblegum out of my guns...all are shooters. None are collector guns anymore though some are as old as I am. I can't outfit the entire neighborhood like you can but if need be, I have "enough" for all the family if thing really get horrible.

Enjoy the ones you like...oil the ones you can't part with...maybe sell a few now just to scratch the itch but only if you have more then enough.

Good shootin :rolleyes:

once they are gone the possibility exists that they may not be available in the future

If you're not using them/ don't need them now, why would you expect a reversal and need them back again in the future? Particularly if you have other guns remaining.

Now is a good time to let some go. It wasn't that long ago when sales were in the Trump Slump and it was hard to sell. Now that you've already realized that you have excess, take some money off the table. And try to put the proceeds into something that will hold its value over time.

A person can have fun with guns for years. When you get into the upper years, it's time to think about scaling back. There are the inevitable politics of the future to think about as well. Guns may not always be a liquid asset. WA state has passed a couple of laws lately that have impaired liquidity, for example.

Could always list a few at your don't wanna sell it price and see what happens.

I did that once on a bass. My one regret in life, other than the nights spent in jail(s).

Rickenbacker78_4001BlueRA199_10.jpg

I've got a little bit of a tin foil hat problem when it comes to selling or trading firearms and ammunition, so my philosophy is "don't ever sell or trade firearms or ammunition to anyone that you're not absolutely positively certain won't use it against you". Consequently, I still have every single firearm I've ever acquired.

Agreed with everything that @The Heretic said above.

Though I will add some thoughts on the monetary aspect. If one truly needs the money, then it is a no-brainer. If one one has X debt or Y bill or Z expenditure coming down soon, then dump what is just collecting dust, and take it out. (In the latter example, we had some unexpected vehicle and home repairs pop-up in this hell year. Did we need to dump guns to finance them? Nope, that came from savings. But said savings was helped rebuilt with dumping firearms we didn't need, nor really even wanted.)

But if not? The argument goes that a firearm might appreciate, maybe even substantially, so. And that could happen. Thinking of the guns I've sold or have recently thought about sold:

• Most were around what I paid for them. Some times a little less, some times a little more.
  • Rarely were there any that were truly less. And the cases I can think of, there was something mechanically wrong, and I just wasn't going to waste the time on it, so dumped it for cheap.
  • Some were actually, surprisingly more, but then when you factor in what the purchasing power of the dollar is now versus when bought, then it isn't so great.
  • Some we should have hung on to as there was a sudden interest in a niche that didn't exist when they were acquired. Timing that kind of thing would be almost impossible.
  • Some cost high dollar, but for all intents and purposes, cannot be jettisoned. A little over a third of our collection is in NFA items and, with the exception of transferable machine-guns and some specialized or historical items, there just isn't a used market that I can see.
  • One item I don't physically have in my hot little hands right now (though will, likely, by end of week) has already gone up in value a noticeable amount based upon my informal research.
So, difficult to really get a good picture, while it is far easier to analyze the performance of more traditional investments. Ergo, for me, with few exceptions, guns are for "pewing", while investments are for growing assets. Too each their own.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top