JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For EDC and Use I have a large number of CostCo flashlights. They are like $25 for 3 with standard AAA batteries 250 Lumens and a 'strobe' setting.
I have one in every place I am frequent in my home - Garage, Kitchen, By the lazy-boy, by the computer, both sides of the bed, in my range bag, in all the cars.

Sure I doubt it would survive being shot by a .50 BMG or after 16 months at the bottom of the ocean, or in a fine powdery dust ... but just use the NY Reload when it goes down.

Also, in my pocket at work is a 4Sevens Preon. About the size of my pinky finger.

I did get this online. I have been carrying this daily since Mar 2012. For on your person, very nice.

The wife has Streamlight 73002 Nano Light Miniature Keychain LED Flashlight, which she uses every day - since Oct of last year. Keychain carry, obviously.

I recommend both of these if small is what you need.

@ Burt - Comment #10 - That's a flashlight!

My buddy has a light with 1 million candle power (I think) Asked why he has it - to spot-light /crap/
Out in the country where the next neighbor is hundreds of yards away, and the forest is all around, you need all the light you can get.

According to Google: One candlepower equivalent equals 12.57 lumens. 1 million candlepower would be about 80,000 lumens. But they don't measure the exact same things so it is not really a good equivalent.

I understand, but hold go out in the dark with a million candlepower halogen light and then a 12x-15x (number of T6 LEDs) 'flashlight' and see which one is brighter. Hint - the 12x-15x lights things up for 1000 yards, as in .... a thousand yards.

I have a handheld flashlight that will light up the 100 yard target at TCGC brighter than the 18" halogen MASSIVE lights on the 50/100 range.

People have a hard time grasping that because right now LED flashlights, specifically from Asia (we are always months/years behind) are doubling in output about every 90 days.

The brightest portable light is not powered by halogens anymore, it is an LED-based light.

Go to the Candlepower forum and look at the tests - 'Million+ candlepower halogens vs the newest gen LEDs'. Or Amazon for that matter. Full of comments saying 'wow, I thought my 10x Million candlepower light was bright.' Like comparing a CRT TV to an LED TV at this point. The LED TV is clearer, cooler (temp), brighter, lighter.

I am a tard about lights. I could dig up every light I have and put them on a tabletop but it would be a day's work. Weak ones, cheap Costco ones, all the way up to ones that will blind you at 200 yards. Don't know why, but I've always loved flashlights. Never am I without a flashlight. There is always at least a Fenix FD32 clipped in my pocket. Every keychain has a bright 2032 LED light. LED strips at home that will run for weeks off my 12v battery chain. Flashlights by the door, on the bathroom counter, by the bed lol.

Nerd stuff I know. All worth it though when the lady loses her contact lense at the bar lol. Bouncers ... and their god awful 10 lumen old school flashlights ... here, I can help you miss ....

I have one of those light cannons and it would be good for emergency use and lighting up the street against zombies, but it's bulky and heavy and runs down fast

^ Yes, and super LEDs don't get scorching hot, are light to carry - easily on a belt loop, and last 4x-15x longer in terms of battery life. At full peak my 15x T6 runs 1.5 hours, that is at max. LEDs also make great 'power out' home accessory lights. Mine will run at 70+ hours at 30 lumens. (Which is normally evening ambient light in a bedroom for instance when power is on).

Also, in an urban environment super LEDs don't splatter excess light everywhere. If you want to hit a target with your light that is a city block away you are not throwing light into every window down the block and making a lot of people angry with you; or drawing unwanted attention. But your target is lit up like a Xmas tree.

A few months back one of my neighbors had insomnia and was loitering around outside/beside their house which was unusual about 3am. So I lit her up with two lights totalling about 26 T6 LEDs from about 50 yards away. LOL!

She told me she thought it was the second coming. My neighbors are pretty pathetic about their security. The block is black at night, no porch lights, nothing - really dumb. Except my place of course.

I have a couple of those halogen 'car headlight' types for the garage. Heats the whole thing up in a reasonable time. I'll bet my meter is just spinning like crazy. I have been meaning to replace with one of the LED types.

Besides the heat, the halogen bulbs are fragile.

As an EDC light, do you want multiple modes, or just a single retina-searing mode? I carry a Surefire E1L on my belt for casual lighting needs - it'll never blind someone, but I can read a map in the dark without blinding myself, either.

If you don't mind CR123s, two prospects immediately come to mind:
1. The Surefire E1B - the older model has two modes (high/low) and runs for about an hour on high. You can find them for about $115, give or take, since Surefire released the newer EB1 model this year.
2. Malkoff just released a pocket light that puts out 300 lumens for about 45 minutes on one CR123. $99 plus shipping.

As Burt says, LEDs offer a number of advantages over older incandescent style bulbs:

1) more efficient run time
2) better levels of output (brighter)
3) no glass tube to break (tougher, generally speaking)

As a general rule of thumb, no-name lights are fine for casual use. But if you're going to be counting on it, spend the extra for quality up front.

If you want to stick with the AA battery, look at a Fenix E11: two modes, high/low.

The high is 115 lumens for an hour and 15 minutes.

Available at REI in Portland for $28, or Amazon for $25.

The only thing those old rechargeable cop maglights were good for was clobbering a goob upside the head and lighting cigarettes after removing the lens.
We sure have come far.

I use a Rigid Industries "halo" flashlight. Brightest flashlight I have seen, can be had for around $80, rechargeable battery that lasts forever. 5 modes, strobe, SOS, high, med, low.

The flashlights with multiple modes are great but not for a shooting flashlight.
The way I was taught, a single mode, full power only pressure switch/deadman switch and if you press harder it "clicks" to stay on and then "click" again for off.

Most of the better brands like Nitecore, eagletac, Olight ect ect have head twist turbo modes. so with the head tightened they come on in high mode only. Head loose and they will have all the other modes strobe sos bla bla bla.

The flashlights with multiple modes are great but not for a shooting flashlight.
The way I was taught, a single mode, full power only pressure switch/deadman switch and if you press harder it "clicks" to stay on and then "click" again for off.

The LED light I linked can be set for your choice of 2 modes out of many and all you do to switch modes is twist the head a small amount.. ours are set for high power and strobe. For very low light we have photon 2 keychain and zipper pull lights on almost everything

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top