JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I was just seeing here, along with everyone else, all the courses/classes being bandied, pimped, quarreled about and defended. That's great, of course. Some people need a kick start to get out of bed probably.. not to put it in the class of getting your lazy arse toenails painted down yonder though. lol
What I'm saying is, who of anybody that's anybody, hasn't been/isn't "self taught"? The list is endless.
A classic example is Jelly Bryce. But as I said, the list is endless. Just ask Jordan, Cooper, Keith, (the endless list is there) what classes or whatall they took. They flat but taught themselves, one and all. Don't be lazy and it's not a frickin rocket.. yea that's funny.

<broken link removed>

The internet provides tons of info. There are forums that specialize in every topic nowadays. There are also some online streaming out there like Panteo Productions and the hide has some precision rifle videos. But videos only get you so far. You can always meet people on your local forum like this one who already know what you want to know and you can just ask them to teach you. I have taken several people out and taught them things I was taught in classes and saved them $.

Taking a class has some big benefits. It will keep you from learning the wrong thing because your not making the same mistakes others did. Thats expensive and a waste of time. Also its the fastest way to get you up to speed if you cant find a friend who knows what you want to know.

Last Edited:
Watched that video of Col Cooper - and wasn't surprised to hear things that sounded exactly like he'd pulled it from the headlines today - addressing things such as federal overreach, militarization of the police, the government ignoring federal law, the bill of rights - anecdotes from people at that dinner talking about federal swat teams raiding doctor's offices, lining patients up against the wall facing the wall, pointing guns at them, pointing guns at 9 year old children... Cooper talked of federal police having, in effect their own air force, talking of teams of scared 'ninjas' storming buildings to take someone in for questioning -- all of this and this video was made shortly after the North Hollywood shootout in 1997 - almost 20 years ago.

I would argue that not all of them were self taught. Good old fashioned US military taught them.

And, I would argue that military service is a rather poor teacher... for most. Deployment in a hostile region teaches a lot. Quickly. However, even with thousands deployed, there remain many more thousands that never see a hostile environment. Thousands that have a job that does not train for direct engagement. Thousands that do little more than set up a couple of tents, and fire a handful of rounds... once a year. If that.
Yea, those with direct combat training, and experience, learn a lot about self defense and situational awareness. Not all military service does that.

I disagree completely. There are some people who have a natural ability or are a prodigy, as in the case of Bryce, Jordan, etc. Yes they might be able to dunk a ball, shoot faster or more accurate than most but they aren't perfect. You are forgetting about words like experience and coaching. I take classes not to learn everything but to build off my fundamentals and get help in correcting any mistakes I might be unknowingly be doing. The real training is taking what you learned and applying them in your day to day training or self teaching as you call it. Taking classes also lets you gain experience by getting more time behind the weapon. There is a reason Magpul requires 1,400 rounds for a three day course. Repetition in the correct form gains experience.

I'm missing your point and have a feeling you either have not been to a class, had a poor experience at one or didn't take away from the class what you should have.

Please tell me how taking a class is lazy?

Oh, and I learned how to curve a bullet by watching Wanted ;)

I disagree completely. There are some people who have a natural ability or are a prodigy, as in the case of Bryce, Jordan, etc. Yes they might be able to dunk a ball, shoot faster or more accurate than most but they aren't perfect. You are forgetting about words like experience and coaching. I take classes not to learn everything but to build off my fundamentals and get help in correcting any mistakes I might be unknowingly be doing. The real training is taking what you learned and applying them in your day to day training or self teaching as you call it. Taking classes also lets you gain experience by getting more time behind the weapon. There is a reason Magpul requires 1,400 rounds for a three day course. Repetition in the correct form gains experience.

I'm missing your point and have a feeling you either have not been to a class, had a poor experience at one or didn't take away from the class what you should have.

Please tell me how taking a class is lazy?

Oh, and I learned how to curve a bullet by watching Wanted ;)
The fundamentals are pretty simple. Mastering those fundamentals is the hard part and requires actual hard work.
Good thing that "work" is fun though!

Joking aside, I have met long time gun owners and learned some great stuff, I also have met some long time gun owners that scared the hell outta me with there readiness and safety.

And, I would argue that military service is a rather poor teacher... for most. Deployment in a hostile region teaches a lot. Quickly. However, even with thousands deployed, there remain many more thousands that never see a hostile environment. Thousands that have a job that does not train for direct engagement. Thousands that do little more than set up a couple of tents, and fire a handful of rounds... once a year. If that.
Yea, those with direct combat training, and experience, learn a lot about self defense and situational awareness. Not all military service does that.

I disagree. Around 3 million have deployed since Iraq and Afghanistan became war zones. Most MID level NCO's have just as many deployments as senior staff. Most of the senior level people have only experienced conflicts from Desert Storm/Shield, Panama, and Bosnia. I would argue that these conflicts pale in comparison to the level of combat intensity of danger that OIF and OEF had initiated. This is why I laugh at most training centers, purely based on the fact that most of the senior educators are teaching out dated methods from their service/combat experience. Most of which is over 15-30 year old doctrine. Even the young breed of "Modern Training" like Travis Haley is teaching from 10 year old experience.

Some of the best combat training I ever received wasn't even from an American but rather from a security firm that hired ex French Foreign Legionnaires. Simply because France has had constant deployments in hotbed African regions for decades.

The other side of the military training you're also ignoring is physical fitness and discipline. I see a lot of folks coming up at the firing line that couldn't pass even a profile PT test.

How do you expect to be a badass if you can't even run a mile?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top