JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm so stoked to have my car be my designated driver.

I bubbleguming hate driving. If I could be drinking or napping instead of raging at the retard soccer mom doing 60 in the passing lane, you can put your bottom dollar down on it.

What these new cars will have is sensors. And senses/perception of the world around them.
And just like the cameras in our phones. They will get better and cheaper the more they make.

So in a way these new autonomous cars are the test bed for spatial awareness technology that will eventually end up giving life to all manor of robots.

Were screwed! o_O

....and whinemeal, a Tesla car on 'autopilot' fails to differentiate between the white-ish sky and a white-ish 53-foot trailer, and the non-driver gets deadified.

tac

Aussie Uses Arduino Chips To Roboticize a Ford Focus

Adruino: Open-source electronic prototyping platform enabling users to create interactive electronic objects.

" The hard part of getting cars to drive themselves is the last, niggling one percent of reliability. That's the bit that has so far stymied even the tech giants and auto titans who are developing self-driving cars.

But roboticizing the first 90-plus percent of driving is easy-peasey, as Keran McKenzie, of Melbourne, Australia, shows in his hack of a Ford Focus. He began by asking himself why the "home" button on the car can only let the driver plot a trip back home. Why not have it actually drive the car home as well?"

Any widespread system of robotic driven cars need to rely only on passive markers and independent in-car sensors. Otherwise, the gov't will be able to control where you go and track where you've been and shut down your travel with the flick of a switch...
...Sorry, that's crazy talk, Google would never do that;)

Budwiser.
Delivery by self driving truck:
OttoSelfDrivingTruckOttoMaster-1477408506353.jpg
Otto's Robotruck Hauls Budweiser While the Driver Twiddles His Thumbs in the Back

"An Otto self-driving truck has just hauled 51,744 cans of Budweiser from Fort Collins, Colo., to Colorado Springs—a nearly 200-kilometer (120-mile) ride—without any human intervention, "

Is that a Slap in the face of Coors, or are they merged now?

400,000 Truck crashes / year in USA w/ 4,000 deaths.

Last Edited:
Fred:

Regular readers, if I have one, know that I keep saying that pretty soon automation is going to take all our jobs and have everybody living in homeless shelters and under park benches. This suggests a boom market in park benches, briefly employing thousands. There are various ways of looking at this. On one hand, I have never liked jobs. On the other, robots only need to take some fraction of jobs across society and in the ensuing riots we will all kill each other. I don't think we can stand too much leisure. Especially without money for buying beer and drugs.

New |York Times Replaced by Black Box. World Relieved | Fred On Everything

White-collar jobs are very much in danger. Think of all the people sitting in cubicle farms, like letters in a crossword puzzle. Many, I suspect most, do things automatable, and do it far more slowly than a computer might. How long does it take an intelligent program to flash through court records to find those relevant to a particular case? There are programs in the works to intelligently handle customer-service calls, potentially unemplloying all those people in Mumbai who make life into a guessing game. Maybe a good thing. Siri at least speaks English.

I am all for it. The type of people who are going to buy and use this are what I classify as "non-drivers". Their driving skills are so non-existent that maybe our roads will be safer with them removed from the equation. Let people who actually love to drive have the roads back.

I'm so stoked to have my car be my designated driver.

I bubbleguming hate driving. If I could be drinking or napping instead of raging at the retard soccer mom doing 60 in the passing lane, you can put your bottom dollar down on it.

Are you OK with your car making moral decisions for you? For example:

Self driving cars need enough AI to be aware of surroundings and make instant "decisions" based on safety. You/Your car find yourselves in a situation where you are either going to crash into a brick wall, or into a group of pedestrians. How cool are you with your car deciding your life is less of a loss than the lives of the group of people? Or, the other way around?

Sure, there may be options for manual control (but who knows what the future will bring with that). Won't do any good if you're napping though.

Self driving cars need enough AI to be aware of surroundings and make instant "decisions" based on safety. You/Your car find yourselves in a situation where you are either going to crash into a brick wall, or into a group of pedestrians. How cool are you with your car deciding your life is less of a loss than the lives of the group of people? Or, the other way around?

Sure, there may be options for manual control (but who knows what the future will bring with that). Won't do any good if you're napping though.

I think all the liberal arts majors discuss these philosophy questions ad nauseum[1].
What does your non-moral car do now. Plow ahead. Can a machine have morals? Does a dog? Do moral people always act in moral ways. What about ethical people?

Do I think the machine will do better than the people who have been drinking? smokin'? high on cough syrup? speed/crystal? Tired? hungry? have to eat? having a conversation? a fight? on the phone? checking on the kids in the back seat? maps? changing the radio stations? forgot to clear their wind shield? crying? putting on makeup (guys now)? reading ?

How about the guys that decided the gas tanks in the Pinto's were safe enough?
or the Tires on the Explorer were good enough?
or Consumer Reports testing, and testing and testing until they could finally get an SUV to roll over?

Arent' there now regulations for cars that are making pedestrian collisions much more survivable?
Ban all pre-2015 cars for the winning.

oh I know. It is your mom's fault. If she had chosen differently you would not be in a pile of death hurling down the freeway - let us charge her.

The AI will not be basing decisions on safety. If they did, they would lock the doors and not let you in.
Ref: I, Robot ( the movie 2004 )

The AI decisions are on the most efficient way to achieve the commands input. ie: Take me home.

as we'll have in a couple of weeks: Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. Turn left. count +1. Repeat until 200.
Yea, Daytona Day.

testing:
Robot motor racing series to start next year - THIS is what cars will look like

[1] You can find a few exampls in this comic strip: ie:
Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal - Killing Hitler
Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal - 2013-03-28
20130328.gif

Yea, either way.. I'm cool.

But.... if my car got me into that kind of kobayashi maru situation to begin with.....? I probably got a defective one.

No. Just… NO. – Splendid Isolation

Here's my last thought (for now) on this topic. The automobile was for decades a symbol of an individual's independence. In his car, a man could drive wherever he wanted, whenever he wanted, for whatever reason he wanted, and for as long as he wanted — all without anyone but himself being any the wiser. Now, under the guise of "autonomy", this freedom is going to be taken away from us. (At this point, George Orwell is laughing his bubblegum off. "Freedom is Slavery", remember?)

I once said that if I could choose the way I die, it would either be in my wife's arms or on the barricades. Well, that first option has been taken from me, which means that if I die, it will be in a pitched gun battle with government agents who are trying to take away my old car and forcing me to use Government Autonomous Vehicle Mk. VII — and if you think I'm joking, I'm not. bubblegum this bullbubblegum.
FEBRUARY 24, 2017 KIM DU TOIT BAD NEWS

First, I would never get in a car that drives itself.
Some 10 year old computer genius would push "enter" and I would end up smacking a wall at 60mph.
I do have one question though.
If I am in a self driving car and it gets in to an accident, who is liable?
I was in a car and reading a book. Seems I wasn't paying attention.
Hmmmm.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top