JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Money.

First up - self driving long haul trucks. Drive from Truck Stop to Truck Stop along an interstate hwy. After hours, let them get in the center most lanes - cruise nose to tail at full speed (ie 100 MPH)
From the TS, a human to deliver the trailer to its destination. Now some companies may have a warehouse to fill the truck stop role, but same difference.

How many truck drivers are needed today? How many companies issues are with their drivers rather than their rigs. Here is someone looking for drivers on a gun forum.
Drivers needed

Second, and this is a union problem more than a technology problem.
Self driving light rail. Then Self Driving Busses. They have a set route. Have many locations to set an extra sensor to verify all is functioning optimally.
If you use public transport, like I do, then you know one problem is for passengers to be delaying the driver.
What do I mean union problem: boo the f* hoo union jobs are going away, and they ain't comin' back. The union bosses like their fancy private jets and mansions, they'll fight.

Third. Rush hour. Want to be on the big roads - ie I5 in Seattle, Tacoma, Olympia, Portland
then engage self drive mode between certain hours. Otherwise, stop lights for you. Then the secondary A roads - those without stop lights, example: 405.

Fourth. City Centers. All electric and self drive. You have to pay like $160 to goto downtown Manhattan now, expect that to go up, way up. The solution is Uber - but not with human drivers. Park your rig on the edge of town, get into a ride share - light rail, buss, uber, bicycle.

And, I agree the Insurance companies will offer you a self drive discount.

I for one welcome our new robot overlords.
(And all restaurants will be Taco Bell.)

ps - what is the most dangerous driver class - group ? Those who are driving an over size rig they are not familiar with - example: U-Hauls and RVs. SelfDrive those puppies.

A lot of jobs are going by by.

The new trucks you see will be three feet tall [No need for a cab].
They won't need to take a sleep stop after x number hours on the road. And they won't get tired, stoned, or need vacation and benefits.

Sure they may crash. But probably less than normal. And Companies wont ever have to pay out a death benefit for a driver.

Any job that goes from point A to B will be gone. Only drivers required to perform a function along the way or at the destination will keep there job.

I wonder what a soon to follow generation of robots will do to our jobs? o_O

ps - what is the most dangerous driver class - group ? Those who are driving an over size rig they are not familiar with - example: U-Hauls and RVs. SelfDrive those puppies.

I liked your post for that but have different views on the rest - more robots and less jobs in not a good thing in my book.

Oh, and the Taco Bell reference! What the hell were the 3 sea shells for anyway:p

A lot of jobs are going by by.

The new trucks you see will be three feet tall [No need for a cab].
They won't need to take a sleep stop after x number hours on the road. And they won't get tired, stoned, or need vacation and benefits.

Sure they may crash. But probably less than normal. And Companies wont ever have to pay out a death benefit for a driver.

Any job that goes from point A to B will be gone. Only drivers required to perform a function along the way or at the destination will keep there job.

I wonder what a soon to follow generation of robots will do to our jobs? o_O

For an old guy your a fast typer.:p

You just beat me too it, again lol.

What these new cars will have is sensors. And senses/perception of the world around them.
And just like the cameras in our phones. They will get better and cheaper the more they make.

So in a way these new autonomous cars are the test bed for spatial awareness technology that will eventually end up giving life to all manor of robots.

Were screwed! o_O

What these new cars will have is sensors. And senses/perception of the world around them.
And just like the cameras in our phones. They will get better and cheaper the more they make.

So in a way these new autonomous cars are the test bed for spatial awareness technology that will eventually end up giving life to all manor of robots.

Were screwed! o_O

A good friend of mines neighbor has a fishing ship (too large to call a boat:D) that will dock itself into a slip with no help from him.

Tech is getting better and faster every day.

A good friend of mines neighbor has a fishing ship (too large to call a boat:D) that will dock itself into a slip with no help from him.

Wait until we have a helper in the house that can make you diner and do the cleaning.
Just needs to interpret the world around it and interact with that environment.
And come in at a decent price point.

With cheep, available, proven sensors and programs. This is gona happen soon.

Most house work is easier than driving. With a fraction of the liability.
Heck we make people wait until there 16 to drive. I was washing dishes a lot younger than that. ;)

Wait until we have a helper in the house that can make you diner and do the cleaning.
Just needs to interpret the world around it and interact with that environment.
And come in at a decent price point.

With cheep, available, proven sensors and programs. This is gona happen soon.

Most house work is easier than driving. With a fraction of the liability.
Heck we make people wait until there 16 to drive. I was washing dishes a lot younger than that. ;)

Then 99% of the people will be fat and sluggish like that animated film about the robot, I don't know how many years ago - maybe 7-10.:p

Once integrated and fully automated I do see the advantages.

No more traffic jams for one.

One has to think of the many causes of traffic jams..... driver error, mechanical breakdowns, weather conditions, road conditions & the list goes on & on..... I do not think that an auto driven vehicles will make their place in front of my cave.......
A good friend of mine neighbor has a fishing ship (too large to call a boat:D) that will dock itself into a slip with no help from him.

WTH!!!!!! I need to get me one of them there gadgets!!!!! Not really, just pullin yer legs.
I'm a self respecting caveman :cool: and I will act like one ;) doing remedial tasks to prove o_O "I STILL GOT IT".....:) don't need no stinkin boat parking gadget.....:D:D:D:D:D:p

One has to think of the many causes of traffic jams..... driver error, mechanical breakdowns, weather conditions, road conditions & the list goes on & on..... I do not think that an auto driven vehicles will make their place in front of my cave.......

WTH!!!!!! I need to get me one of them there gadgets!!!!! Not really, just pullin yer legs.
I'm a self respecting caveman :cool: and I will act like one ;) doing remedial tasks to prove o_O "I STILL GOT IT".....:) don't need no stinkin boat parking gadget.....:D:D:D:D:D:p

What do you say about a trolling motor that will keep you at the same depth and follow the contour lines on a lake or river. They got those now.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top