JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm switching jobs and will be flying a lot; mostly with just carry on bags. Are there any decent self defense weapons that can pass TSA security?

Are those high-impact pens passable? What about a small flashlight with a strike face? Other ideas?

My plan is to figure out the best option and then train in its use.

(Checking a firearm won't be an option for me.)

Hmmm! Inside an commercial airliner with something that could be used as a close combat weapon? Can you say box cutter? What I am trying to say is, unless your new job is in LE, I'd avoid problems with TSA (like cavity searches) just before boarding and start thinking how to plan your travels checking in baggage or w/o a SD weapon. Just an opinion. :)

Now, cynicism aside, good luck in your new job.

My Sharkie pen has passed security without incident and I carry a sketch pad with a couple of sharp pencils whenever I travel. Not immediately lethal but better penetration than a rolled up magazine :)

The best weapon as mentioned is you taking serious real world self defense training. I teach JKD and out of some of our arts arts like Kali and Praying Mantis (and others) it is quite easy to go all the way to killing in self defense with your bare hands if it comes to that. We teach weapons arts that translate into improvised weapons as simple as a good sturdy shoelace or a beer stein. Having gotten to the instructor level I cannot ever imagine going back to where I once was, although I was already an accomplished self defense fighter (out of necessity)

Thanks, I. Am in a martial arts class for the past two years. Just curious about options. My current art is moving past pure self defense and into forms that aren't my cup of tea,, so will be looking for one more focused on sd. Any rec'ds for the portland area?

This instructor is approved of by Dan Inosanto, one of Bruce's friends and instructors in Filipino martial arts such as Kali. He was in Bruce's last film in the lost pagoda fight scene

John Daniels Combative Martial Arts

This one may be something to check out too

NWFA Jeet Kune Do ? JKD Martial Arts Training for Self Defense in Portland

This is Bruce's final fight scene before he died.. you can see him against Kali against Dan Inosanto/Hapkido against a master, and then the unknown fighter (JKD with Kareem Abdul Jabar) it's at least 5 parts, just find them in the right hand column as you go. It says 10 minutes for that episode but it's not.. that is the total fight scene length

Game of Death Final Scene 1 - YouTube

Here is an excellent JKD instructor in the modern system.. look at the vids in the right column to see more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6As1h54LKzc&feature=fvw

Avoid plastic knifes (letter openers, etc.)
They are non-metallic, but would appear in body scan and x-rays for dense items.
I think a walking cane would be best, but not sure if they are allowed without a doctor's letter or handicap Rx.

I have a quick release riggers belt with a long heavy head that I use for self defense dealing with airlines. Taught us in the Marines for it and used em ever since. Old trick. Works amazingly well! Get super long one and its damn near a whip with a weight on the end. You would be surprised the cutting and smashing damage they can do! And since it is "Just a belt" never had problems with airlines. They scan it give it back to me and off I go!

By the way I always have a metal pen with me! No knife in it... Just a regular sturdy steel pen!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top