JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That's important -- here in WA you can be in one town and the interpretation of events will be treated very differently than in a town 200 miles away on the other side of the state. It's important to know where you are in the ideological sense.

Couldn't agree more. That quality exists across the country as far as I know.

And the authority and responsibility of officers varies greatly as well. A county attorney told me that state troopers served as criminal investigator besides holding traditional duties. I had asked about detectives or criminal investigators and was told there are none. I don't believe that to be totally accurate but is true in a general sense.

You can imagine the difference in the application and function of the law between my community and the Bronx, in New York. My town has 1500 people and maybe six officers. The county sheriff is about the same. If they were to say a SD shoot was good I think the system would concur. In the Bronx you'd be going away.

So with self defense shooting you need to know the turf and who's who. In particular, who has he authority to deem a self defense shooting justifiable. I never saw a patrolman or investigator with that authority but their reports and testimony carry considerable weight.

In the Southern U.S. a sheriff might be able to do it, especially if the county coroner and county attorney agree. In other places it may take the prosecuting attorney or even attorney general.

One size seems to fit almost nobody.

Stumbled across this story, and it leaves me a bit puzzled regarding what will happen in WA if you're involved in a self-defense shooting. The shooter waited for the police to arrive, claimed the person had attacked him and he'd shot in self-defense, and was he immediately arrested (first for assault, and when the person died, the charge was upgraded to murder(?)). Since the article asks for anyone with information to contact police, I'm assuming that there weren't any witnesses. Also no mention on whether or not the shooter had a CPL, prior record, etc.

Is it just that journalism is dead and there's a lot more to the story, or is this standard WA state procedure - at least in Seattle?

another article with slightly more information. Sounds like he was arrested and then interviewed by detectives.
Not enough info to make a an accurate assessment which leads me to your 1st question.. YES! unbiased journalism is dead, anybody today with a laptop thinks their a journalist just because they can post news faster than the other person, regardless of facts or lack thereof.

WHY wasnt this THUG in prison??? He had no business being loose in society- he appears from his record to be a violent predator- someone in the court system didnt do their job. Had he been in prison this wouldnt have happened... That said, from the facts as reported, Lundvall acted outside the law and is screwed...
good question, bully's usually look for easy targets but it looks like he finally picked on the wrong person and got due justice.

So I re-watched the "Don't talk to police" video posted above by @Galant during my workout today (thanks for contributing this to the conversation!) There are of course valid points in the video. However, at no time in this video is the very different process for an affirmative self defense situation brought up. I would suggest that there is limited and specific information that will be helpful if communicated to the police after a use of force. The video below is actually from a class I attended in Arizona just a few months ago, Deadly Force Instructor. Have also attended MAG 40 which is about half shooting and half armed citizen's rules of engagement. Spent 18 years as an LEO and have been training new and advanced officers for 25 years, including how to interview people. What I'm finding is that about half of my training currently is not about the shooting part, but all the legal, documentation, training, research...the stuff other than shooting. I've spoken with attorneys who advise they basically received no training in law school on how to defend an innocent person in a self defense case. The above video notes that in federal cases, 86% of those charged plead guilty before the case goes to trial. There are may nuances to this so having multiple sources posting is great.

Both the above video and one by Massad Ayoob on what to say to the police are in post #56 of THIS THREAD. Ayoob's is shorter, about 12 minutes, and was part of an ASP video made during a break in class.
Mas Ayoob has some great advice on this subject. Essentially it's say what you need to say and then shut up.

Mas Ayoob 5 Things to know after

I guess whether to talk to police or not, depends on the trust you place in the system to do the right thing. Personally, I have very little trust (Michael Strickland, anyone?), so I'm not talking without a lawyer, nohow.

I guess whether to talk to police or not, depends on the trust you place in the system to do the right thing. Personally, I have very little trust (Michael Strickland, anyone?), so I'm not talking without a lawyer, nohow.

Gotta say something... But I'd keep it to a minimum along the lines of "I'll talk to you later but right now I'm shook up and will need to consult with my lawyer". Being on the phone to my lawyer might be good. I keep my lawyer's card in my wallet.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top