JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I found this link thoughtful in its discussion of preparing oneself for dangers in advance, for physiological stress reactions in advance, and more. Many of you have thought these through at one time or another. But, for me I found the ideas refreshingly forward planned and self reflective.

What do you think?

No Nonsense Self Defense - Reliable information for dangerous situations

Let me know if this is old news, and I'll close or delete the thread. If this thread belongs elsewhere let me know that too.

Regards,
Johann

(found on the Reed College Gun Club web page)

I think it is excellent, high order stuff. Deals in detail with the skills of avoidance, de-escalation, and controlling a situation non-violently if at all possible. Marc MacYoung and Rory Miller are two very tough guys who are also brilliant and have years of real life experience. Thanks for that link!

FYI
Massad Ayoob Firearms expert
Lethal Force Institute
"When I first saw a book on streetfighting whose author's name was "Marc ‘Animal' MacYoung," my first reaction was "Oh, crap. Another phony wannabe who's re-treading the World War II ‘give ‘em the knee' stuff." Then I read the book. "Damn," I said. "He's either been there or really done his homework with people who have."

This has been the collective experience of people who know what they're doing when they read Marc's work. I've absorbed everything he's written since. It rings with authority, particularly the elements of mind-set and what goes on in your head before, during, and after a fight. I appreciate his emphasis on avoidance, which is always a mark of the professional.

I know MacYoung. I've worked out with him. He's real, and his techniques are real. Don't fall into the old parochial trap of thinking, "He hasn't done my job, so he doesn't know what I need." That's a false standard of judgment. He's not teaching you how to be a cop, and he wouldn't presume to. He's teaching you how to do something he has learned – in the dojo, in the gym, and most important, on the street – how to do, and it's something that fits in with what you need to know. Read this book with an open mind. Try his techniques in a safe environment – supervision, mats, warmups, the whole nine yards.

I think you'll be impressed. I know I was.

Don't just read this book. Absorb this book, and what it teaches. Whether you're a police officer or a citizen who might have to do a police officer's job long enough to hold the line against criminal danger until a real cop gets there to take over, what's in here can save your life and other lives, your career and other careers, your future and the futures of other good people."

Massad Ayoob's book "In the gravest extreme" is one the should be read by anyone that carries.
I read it 20 or 30 years ago when it was published, and it is still applicable today.
He has another that is excellent. Titled
"The truth about self defense"

They cover many good topics. Although neither Oregon or Washington CCW laws require people to complete training dealing with these sorts of topics, it is very prudent for anyone who considers having a firearm for self defense to study them.

Anyone fortunate enough to receive training like that will be more prepared mentally, physically, and emotionally to deal with deadly force encounters. The most valuable thing they can learn is that with proper training, it is possible to keep many situations from evolving into deadly force encounters. It is also possible to learn to predict with reasonable certainty when a situation is likely to turn into a deadly force encounter.

It is far easier to learn how to shoot well, than it is to learn how to avoid, evaluate, difuse, or get away from encounters that may be deadly force encounters. Any martial artist worth their salt will tell you the best fight is one you avoid. It is the same with firearms. If you can learn how to NOT get into a shoot out, that is far better than learning how to win a shootout. Both skills together make a really good package deal though.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top