JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As if making the shoot-no shoot decision wasn't bad enough in itself, there is the reality that someone once summed up with:

"Shoot somebody and get ready for the Hassle Of Your Life."
-Might have been Chuck Taylor (?) or Massad Ayoob (?)- probably both.

Have a good liability policy and attorney you trust ain't bad, either.

Anybody have a liability policy that covers your legal expense for a self-defense shooting? Most liability insurance policies cover unintentional or listed occurrences, not a quarter-sized group through the sternum, which is clearly intentional.

I called my agent at state farm and he said that in a home invasion case where I use a lethal option I am covered. However If I upgrade to an umbrella policy I get coverage even if I were to shoot somebody out on the street. He also seemed a LITTLE unsure of all this lol.

I havent checked with my agent, but will in the morning.

I have a $2million Umbrella policy that costs in the range of $350/year. I had to up my auto policies to the 250/500 limits to get it, but is worth it if you own a house, assets, etc. I travel and drive alot for work, I carry concealed in OR/WA/ID due to all areas traveled, wanting to make it home, sketchy hotels, etc. I am licensed in all areas as well and am responsible. I own a house, am married, have four kids, own three vehicles and am saving for retirement.

I learned several years ago that my auto policies were too low. I was lucky enough to settle for $40k in an accident where I was not cited, the other individuals were not licensed/not insured/not wearing seatbelts/driving a beater vehicle with tires where you could see the metal weave of the belts. They hit me. technically I was at fault for pulling in front of them. Due to their medical bills, I could have ended up paying $300k+. I WAS LUCKY. I was referred to a GOOD lawyer who knew the business and knew how to negotiate. I refinanced my house and paid a settlement.

POINT BEING:
If you carry concealed you are not a cop or a doo-gooder, you are protecting you life and that of your family and any iniocents.

I always tell people, if you use your firearm outside your residence, right or wrong, you will likely:
Loose your firearm to evidence.
Spend a night or two in jail right or wrong. (hopefully not)
pay several thousands in legal and court costs. (not to include a wrongful death or other lawsuit from the dead guys family)

and if sued by the deadders family, make sure your umbrella policy covers that.

I speak with no Insurance or official Law Enforcement background. Just a guy who had to pay alot of my earnings and refinance my house in a settlement where I wasn't at fault and didn't have enough insurance to cover my situation, all in order to protect all I had worked so hard to build for myself and family.

If you have gotten licensed, some training, are a homeowner and a generally responsible citizen, look into getting an umbrella policy. It will cover you for auto/uninsured motorist/someone drowning in your pool or gutter/trip and fall on your property/ OR in a self defense shooting.

Protect what you've earned and built in your life. I never believed in insurance so much till I had to really pay.

Disclaimer:
Im not in the insurance field.
Im not a lawyer.
Im not in law enforcement.
Just a guy who does not want to have pay again.
Thank You.

Just read the new post above mine. Non-homeowners can purchase Renters' Insurance too, there's no reason (aside from lack of premium payments) that those folks should go without coverage, either.

I hope this is still within the same thread. Question, do anyone has "Pre-Paid Legal Services"? The broker who sold me the coverage said my legal expenses are covered in the cases listed above. But I'd rather have a 2nd (and a 3rd) opinion from someone who really knows.

I speak with no Insurance or official Law Enforcement background. Just a guy who had to pay alot of my earnings and refinance my house in a settlement where I wasn't at fault and didn't have enough insurance to cover my situation, all in order to protect all I had worked so hard to build for myself and family.

You are refering to the auto-incident and not a self-defense incident I gather?

I have E&O insurance for my business, but i am pretty sure it doesn't cover armed issues. I will definitely check in the morning. Thanks for the heads up reminder.

It was an auto incident where I PAID big. not self defense

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top