JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As if making the shoot-no shoot decision wasn't bad enough in itself, there is the reality that someone once summed up with:

"Shoot somebody and get ready for the Hassle Of Your Life."
-Might have been Chuck Taylor (?) or Massad Ayoob (?)- probably both.

Have a good liability policy and attorney you trust ain't bad, either.

Anybody have a liability policy that covers your legal expense for a self-defense shooting? Most liability insurance policies cover unintentional or listed occurrences, not a quarter-sized group through the sternum, which is clearly intentional.

I called my agent at state farm and he said that in a home invasion case where I use a lethal option I am covered. However If I upgrade to an umbrella policy I get coverage even if I were to shoot somebody out on the street. He also seemed a LITTLE unsure of all this lol.

I havent checked with my agent, but will in the morning.

I have a $2million Umbrella policy that costs in the range of $350/year. I had to up my auto policies to the 250/500 limits to get it, but is worth it if you own a house, assets, etc. I travel and drive alot for work, I carry concealed in OR/WA/ID due to all areas traveled, wanting to make it home, sketchy hotels, etc. I am licensed in all areas as well and am responsible. I own a house, am married, have four kids, own three vehicles and am saving for retirement.

I learned several years ago that my auto policies were too low. I was lucky enough to settle for $40k in an accident where I was not cited, the other individuals were not licensed/not insured/not wearing seatbelts/driving a beater vehicle with tires where you could see the metal weave of the belts. They hit me. technically I was at fault for pulling in front of them. Due to their medical bills, I could have ended up paying $300k+. I WAS LUCKY. I was referred to a GOOD lawyer who knew the business and knew how to negotiate. I refinanced my house and paid a settlement.

POINT BEING:
If you carry concealed you are not a cop or a doo-gooder, you are protecting you life and that of your family and any iniocents.

I always tell people, if you use your firearm outside your residence, right or wrong, you will likely:
Loose your firearm to evidence.
Spend a night or two in jail right or wrong. (hopefully not)
pay several thousands in legal and court costs. (not to include a wrongful death or other lawsuit from the dead guys family)

and if sued by the deadders family, make sure your umbrella policy covers that.

I speak with no Insurance or official Law Enforcement background. Just a guy who had to pay alot of my earnings and refinance my house in a settlement where I wasn't at fault and didn't have enough insurance to cover my situation, all in order to protect all I had worked so hard to build for myself and family.

If you have gotten licensed, some training, are a homeowner and a generally responsible citizen, look into getting an umbrella policy. It will cover you for auto/uninsured motorist/someone drowning in your pool or gutter/trip and fall on your property/ OR in a self defense shooting.

Protect what you've earned and built in your life. I never believed in insurance so much till I had to really pay.

Disclaimer:
Im not in the insurance field.
Im not a lawyer.
Im not in law enforcement.
Just a guy who does not want to have pay again.
Thank You.

Just read the new post above mine. Non-homeowners can purchase Renters' Insurance too, there's no reason (aside from lack of premium payments) that those folks should go without coverage, either.

I hope this is still within the same thread. Question, do anyone has "Pre-Paid Legal Services"? The broker who sold me the coverage said my legal expenses are covered in the cases listed above. But I'd rather have a 2nd (and a 3rd) opinion from someone who really knows.

I speak with no Insurance or official Law Enforcement background. Just a guy who had to pay alot of my earnings and refinance my house in a settlement where I wasn't at fault and didn't have enough insurance to cover my situation, all in order to protect all I had worked so hard to build for myself and family.

You are refering to the auto-incident and not a self-defense incident I gather?

I have E&O insurance for my business, but i am pretty sure it doesn't cover armed issues. I will definitely check in the morning. Thanks for the heads up reminder.

It was an auto incident where I PAID big. not self defense

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads