Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Self-defense/hand-to-hand

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by jawbone, Nov 9, 2012.

1. jawbone

jawbone Western Washington Member

I've seen the topic come up tangentially in other threads, but I'd like to know what everyone is studying in the area of self-defense/hand-to-hand combat.

I've trained extensively in Krav Maga, and I know Blitzkrieg has said he's extensively studied JKD.

There's no other confidence that can compare with being able to trust yourself in unarmed combat. Training teaches you allot about yourself. I know for me at least, it has helped define the ideal of 'self'. It's important to know and value the 'self' you are defending; I've also found that it enhances an awareness of 'self' sacrifice. I believe the training to be invaluable-- to the point where it has shaped me as a person.

In Krav Maga we train hard for situations where we may be attacked by an armed aggressor while unarmed; whether it be a firearm, knife, baseball-bat, brick, whatever.

Being proficient with a pistol/shotgun/precision rifle has only enhanced the feeling of security which was, at its foundation, built by my training in contact combat.

"Krav Maga, so one may walk in peace." --Imi Lichtenfeld, founder of Krav Maga

lowly monk and (deleted member) like this.
  2. OFADAN

OFADAN Brownsville, OR Well-Known Member

I concur!!! I find it ironic there are a number who train in classes hard for close range (empty hand, edged, improvised, retention, disarm et al) and own mid to long range tools (handgun, shotgun, carbine, long range etc) but rarely go to schools designed for small arms and find instead find being self taught at a rock pit adequate.

Conversely they're are those who train hard at schools for small arms who never go to Krav or other similar close quarters defense schools and instead buy DVDs on line or just hit a bag at the gym and find this adequate.

Those I do know who train with schools and practice in both arts/disciplines are rare but truly are masters of all the arts and have both the competence and confidence to handle most situations. Those who have only half the defense package tend to only have a false or shortcoming sense of confidence. They "feel" fully prepared but aren't.

The key with any training is the coaching, correcting, adjustments, and supervised application (learning from mistakes and/or failures) of which one cannot gets at a target range, rock pit, or home gym. And to say training with a buddy is the same thing as going to a professional is often like the blind leading the blind. It is often only pooled ignorance.

It is a privilege to learn, grow, train and stretch myself working with those who have the full package and who, unfortunately, have had to deploy some or all of their skills.

This only motivates me to train harder!!!

3. jawbone

OFADAN, I like the palm smash photo on your homepage. That'll teach him...

4. OFADAN

OFADAN Brownsville, OR Well-Known Member

If it is the one i think it is then you should recognize the Krav principle of counterassault.

5. jawbone

It's been drilled in to me: the counterattack should be as close to simultaneous with the defense as the situation allows; this disrupts the neural processes, creating the opportunity to launch a devastating barrage of continuation attacks.

Then run away...

6. Tim K

Tim K Colorado Member

7. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

"My friends all laughed when they heard I was going to train to be a ninja, but when they saw my new moves their laughter was quickly silenced..."

Priceless :rolleyes: .

Keith

8. MikeE

MikeE Portland Well-Known Member

Have been doing Krav for almost a year. Will definitely say I'm no expert, still I have more tools now than when I started. It's made me think that handgun defense could likely be a messy mix of both skills.
    Actually, it was attending CEOTWK training at OFA that forced me to realize that my priorities were kinda bass-ackwards.

9. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

JKD. I teach it

We Intercept and Destroy.. Bruce Lee said not one in 10,000 men could do it and he was right