JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The 22 magnum isn't a great stopper ballistic wise but if someone points it at a person being aggressive and the aggressor sees it there is a good chance he won't want to be shot.

Many years ago my nieces husband was working contracts on motel repairs. Didn't have the money to buy a good gun but had a 38 special Derringer, 2 shots. Was working in a motel room when a nut attacked him with a hatchet. He shot the nut with his Derringer and ended the fight.

Damn few guys here would carry a Derringer but when it's all you have it's what you use. Sometimes a 22 mag is all a person has.
Yep, anything is better than nothing, and a .22WMR is better than anything weaker.

At least she did finish the mag but, look how she is flinching due to it being painful. That gal will never be able to hit anything with that thing if she stays that afraid of it. I LOVE the one Wife bought as its my "always carry" now days. When it was new I ran a couple hundred rounds through it to test it and had blood drawn on one hand from the little sucker. Now I shoot a mag or two now and then and its fun for that since its still impressive its so damn small and light. Now the .22 version? Those are super easy and even fun to shoot but, the downside of course is they are .22. Wife will shoot that though and keep one with her so its better than nothing. Damn little platform would be perfect in .32 but sadly does not seem to be going to happen. :(

I mean, no one wants to get shot with anything, but saying you don't want to get shot with it doesn't make it an appropriate defensive firearm, either 🤷‍♂️
As always when this comes up there is what is "good" and what someone will carry and practice with. A whole LOT of people will have nothing. Chances are they will go their entire life and never be sorry for that choice. Many who will not own some "mouse gun" will also often leave that "better" gun at home for some quick trips. They too may go an entire life and never regret that choice. Sadly every day someone falls victim and has no gun. So there is the real world and there is the world we all wish we lived in. I LOVE the LCPII's I have in 380 and .22LR. Certainly do NOT "advocate" for the .22 versions I ended up with a few of but, right now its what Wife will both carry and practice with. One of the ones we have was her Fathers. He was past 90 when he decided to get a handgun. After playing with several of ours this is what his arthritic hands did well with. He could quickly shoot it VERY well after a range trip. So for him too it was something he was both willing to keep with him and practice with. Again real world vs the world I wish I had. :s0092:

I own a NAA and carried it as my only gun. I have carried my S&W 351 PD for a good while too, but I carry .40 S&W or 357 Sig as my preference. I have carried the 351 PD as a BUG and my 327 LCR as a BUG.

I have never had a .22 Magnum fail to fire, but I have had misfires with .22 LR.

I own a NAA and carried it as my only gun. I have carried my S&W 351 PD for a good while too, but I carry .40 S&W or 357 Sig as my preference. I have carried the 351 PD as a BUG and my 327 LCR as a BUG.

I have never had a .22 Magnum fail to fire, but I have had misfires with .22 LR.
Definitely, the .327 LCR(X) seems like the feasible choice given the conventional wisdom of (center-fire) ignition reliability as compared to the (rim-fire) calibers .22 WMR and .22 LR. I think my only complaint is that the .327 ammo appears to be very scarce these days and gets snagged up quickly when they become available. Ideally, the .327 has the ballistic capabilities of a .38, plus an extra round in the cylinder and lighter in weight so to speak. I am partial to Smith Revolvers, but I would be just as ecstatic owning a Ruger LCR or LCRx. At this moment, I am still very much intrigued by the 22 WMR. Like you, I see the .22 WMR as a BUG as well as the .327 Magnum. Most likely, If I was given the choice between the two, I would most likely pick the 22 WMR Revolver, only because ammo appears to be abundant as compared to the .327 Magnum. I think the .22 LR would be a possibility given that Federal has engineered a new round called the "Punch". Apparently, it penetrates very well.

Definitely, the .327 LCR(X) seems like the feasible choice given the conventional wisdom of (center-fire) ignition reliability as compared to the (rim-fire) calibers .22 WMR and .22 LR. I think my only complaint is that the .327 ammo appears to be very scarce these days and gets snagged up quickly when they become available. Ideally, the .327 has the ballistic capabilities of a .38, plus an extra round in the cylinder and lighter in weight so to speak. I am partial to Smith Revolvers, but I would be just as ecstatic owning a Ruger LCR or LCRx. At this moment, I am still very much intrigued by the 22 WMR. Like you, I see the .22 WMR as a BUG as well as the .327 Magnum. Most likely, If I was given the choice between the two, I would most likely pick the 22 WMR Revolver, only because ammo appears to be abundant as compared to the .327 Magnum. I think the .22 LR would be a possibility given that Federal has engineered a new round called the "Punch". Apparently, it penetrates very well.
As for me, I am a fragile old man and I am weak. (Health issues). My primary carry is a Glock 43 chambered in 9mm and is pain the a** to chamber a round. I guess that is why I am now considering getting myself a revolver if that makes sense.

I think .22 is perfectly viable as defensive or even offensive cartridge in certain circumstances, being able to hit what you're aiming at is far more important that overall power. That being said, I think that really only comes into play when you have a considerable amount of rounds on tap that can be shot very fast and accurately ( ie .22 AR, 10/22/, p17, cp33 etc.), but If it's all you feel comfortable using I don't see any reason not too. If you want a more professional opinion, former seal team 6 member Mark Cochiolo regularly carriers a SW snubnose chambered in .22 magnum, I'll include a link to his video. Whatever you do just carry some sort of firearm, don't let anything hold you back, make it as normal of a thing to have on your body as your pants.

I think it's not so bad even in just lr. The couple I've shot held 7 I think. They shot like an airsoft pistol which made them fun but I remember the trigger pull being objectionable.

You can put five different cartridges to include .32acp in a .327, all of which are much more powerful and reliable than a .22 WMR.

I carry a NAA .22 Mag pistol everyday, it is so small it goes into my pocket and looks like a knife clip. I'm impressed by the accuracy, that being relative with a 0.75" barrel, but I can put all 5 rounds in a chest sized target at 15 yards. I've killed a wounded coyote with it, have carried it for years and never had a reliability issue, put hundreds of rounds through it and never had a misfire.

The trigger (if you can call it that is terrible) and it is surprisingly loud for its size, the sights are slightly better than not having any, by a small margin.

Now if I'm going to the city I add my 43X, but if I'm around our little town, office and home, then that is what I carry as it is a huge upgrade from a knife. And all it has to do is get me to my truck/house/office.

As for me, I am a fragile old man and I am weak. (Health issues). My primary carry is a Glock 43 chambered in 9mm and is pain the a** to chamber a round. I guess that is why I am now considering getting myself a revolver if that makes sense.
I ain't no spring chicken and I support your decision to buy what's right for you. Learn the gun and cartridge limitations and practice as much as you can.

Good luck.

Based on my experience killing things reliably with the .22WMR, it has been my bedside gun for over 40 years. Even in the fog of half-sleep, when that Ruger Single Six falls into my palm, all else can run on lizard brain. It is a very deadly cartridge.

And very little chance of killing someone in a different room, or a neighbor.

You can put five different cartridges to include .32acp in a .327, all of which are much more powerful and reliable than a .22 WMR.
I think your reasoning is valid; however, finding a revolver chambered in .327 is a bit difficult to find these days. And not to forget the fact that .327 magnum ammo is extremely scarce and hard to find. It's my personal preference to train with what I plan to carry. That being said, there is plenty of .22 LR and .22 magnum to have. The current state of the market is good for these calibers. Just about everyone trains with the .22 LR ...including those who only have the conventional self-defense calibers alike. As for the rimfire .22 WMR in a revolver ... if there is no proper ignition of the round, then all I have to do is pull the trigger again. There are too many variables to deal with concerning a semi-auto malfunction. And I don't want to play hot potato or fumble around with an inoperable firearm that is out of action. It takes too long to mitigate the stoppage. A lot can happen in such a short time. I would hate to be caught in a scenario where it could potentially happen... given the typical self-defense shooting distance of 3 feet or less. This makes perfect sense to me and good reason to own and carry a revolver as a self-defense tool. But for now, I will just carry my Glock 43 in meantime. And yes, I am sold on the .22 WMR even though it's just a rimfire cartridge.
Cheers.
LightX :)

Last Edited:
I think your reasoning is valid; however, finding a revolver chambered in .327 is a bit difficult to find these days. And not to forget the fact that .327 magnum ammo is extremely scarce and hard to find. It's my personal preference to train with what I plan to carry. That being said, there is plenty of .22 LR and .22 magnum to have. The current state of the market is good for these calibers. Just about everyone trains with the .22 LR ...including those who only have the conventional self-defense calibers alike. As for the rimfire .22 WMR in a revolver ... if there is no proper ignition of the round, then all I have to do is pull the trigger again. There are too many variables to deal with concerning a semi-auto malfunction. And I don't want to play hot potato or fumble around with an inoperable firearm that is out of action. It takes too long to mitigate the stoppage. A lot can happen in such a short time. I would hate to be caught in a scenario where it could potentially happen... given the typical self-defense shooting distance of 3 feet or less. This makes perfect sense to me and good reason to own and carry a revolver as a self-defense tool. But for now, I will just carry my Glock 43 in meantime. And yes, I am sold on the .22 WMR even though it's just a rimfire cartridge.
Cheers.
LightX :)
Right. A .327 will also chamber more common calibers, all of which are more powerful than the. 22 mag.

Hello fellow 2A supporters & NWF members,

I am serious and curious to know what the general consensus is here (FORUM) concerning the 22 Magnum for Self-Defense with respect to "Concealed Carry, Snub Revolver i.e. Ruger LCR and or S&W 351C. HENCE, not a Ruger vs S&W as to which brand is better to question. But, rather the effectiveness of the 22 Magnum.

I would like to know your opinion(s), thought(s), and or perspective(s).

If you know any good reads about this specific or related to my questions, please by all means feel free to mention them.

Feel free to elaborate.

Thanks,
LightX

"
Here is my take on this. The ONLY gun worth having for self-defense, is the one you have, when you need it. Everything else is as worthless at t*** on a bore hog.

I always try to carry 2 firearms. I carry a Glock 40, in my jeans pocket most of the time. But I carry a NAA Black Widow in 5 shot, .22 Magnum, 24/7/367 (including sleeping with it around my neck on a lanyard). It's better than no gun at all. And when driving, it's much easier to get to, since it's around my neck. It's the gun that gives me the extra time to get to my 1st choice.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top