JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Buy a $350.00 used 30-06 or .308 and cut the barrel down to 20" put a decent 3-9X scope on it and be done with your search. You can only use a 5rd mag anyway when hunting so you could buy a Rem 740 7400 and have a semi auto in a caliber suited to Elk hunting and be into it for less then $400.00

That or roll your own. You can find 160, 180, or 200 grainers. They can be loaded to suit your needs.

What is the draw to hunt with this type weapon? Why not a bolt gun that would be more accurate?
If you need the extrarounds you need more practice.
I would feel silly walking around the wood deer or elk hunting with an AR type rifle
JMHO
Mike

sounds like talking points straight out of the brady campaign handbook.

If we truly are going big or going home then might as well get it in .338 lapua :s0155:

badnews_top.jpg

926455_c4eaeb925f0d8aeabdefe373f262bda3.jpg

badnews_top.jpg

No it's in the "I don't shoot well so I need a 30 'clip' to hunt elk" class.
Sorry,not a libtard,just a reasonably good shot who likes to us guns for their intended purpose. And don't like the idea of the militant look any more than that DS OCer always trying to get the cp's attention in Beaverton

A 7.62X39 AR should be quite a bit more accurate than a AK
7.62X51 should be plenty of rifle at 400 yards for an elk......IF YOU can plant the bullet where needed.

If you are going down a steep hill and may slip and slide,CLEAR THE WEAPON until you are safe again.You ain't shooting anything till the bottom anyway. hell of a deal if the rifle got hung up and shot you ,huh? (a mag fed bolt gun wold be excellent)

And there are some pretty cool back packs with a scabbard attached.Keeps the hands free.

2 words pistolgrip stock

1: it is illegal to hunt with a 30 round mag IN EVERY STATE. if u dont even know the basic regulations u arent a competent hunter and definitely shouldnt be wheighing in on a good hunting caliber. if u dont know stfu please.

2: U obviously dont hunt coastal range (if u hunt at all). i will clarify, EVERY STEP u may fall and slide. if u are suggesting i hunt with an unloaded rifle i may as well just carry rocks to throw. having a rifle strapped to your chest IS SAFER. having a pistol grip to grab in an emergency IS SAFER. if you are suggesting i hunt in a less than optimally safe situation your opinion is worthless to me and your responses are no longer needed. i have been hunting my ENTIRE life and started carrying a rifle at 12 after completing hunters safety, that was 17 years ago. i dont care if you think an AR "looks too scary" to be a hunting rifle IT IS SAFER. i am not saying trusty bolt rifles are unsafe, just that u can add safety through the options offered in an AR platform.

3: i have killed an elk at 522 (ranged after with a lazer) with the 7.63x51 ITS NOT AVAILABLE IN AR15 PLATFORM I ALREADY OWN. i CAN shoot very competently and if questioning my ability to make a good shot is all you have to add, well u have added that a couple times already, dont need u to add anymore. thanks.

4: apparently this hasnt been clear enough to some of us (mjbskwim) i have access to pretty much all of the most popular calibers in bolt action. i am building an AR15 and want to know if there is a GOOD 300yard varient, it is clear there is not. as already posted i am giving up on this AR15 being a 300yard elk gun, again your input is no longer needed.

5: thank you to all the members of this forum who have helped guide me away from the AR15 for mid range elk. your input has been very helpful and as of now i am leaning towards the 6.5 grendel if i can find it in left hand. if have seen Quality Arms advertising bolts and uppers in this caliber, does anyone know if this is a quality brand? if they're not i think im just gonna go with the stag left handed 6.8 with the 20" barrel, its a sweet lady...

If we truly are going big or going home then might as well get it in .338 lapua :s0155:

View attachment 79042

i have a .338 ultra mag. not quite a lapua, but at that point you are just splitting hairs. this thread isnt about big guns, i have one. its about buiding a mid range AR.

it doesnt look like i am going to get a mid range elk rifle from the AR15 platform so now the topic is what is an optimum deer rifle available LEFT HANDED in AR15. the 6.5 grendel looks good if i can find it lefty, otherwise im going with the 6.8.

1: it is illegal to hunt with a 30 round mag IN EVERY STATE. if u dont even know the basic regulations u arent a competent hunter and definitely shouldnt be wheighing in on a good hunting caliber. if u dont know stfu please.

FALSE, sounds like you need to follow YOUR own advice.............

I would link you to the proof but I can not link you to a law that does not exist in "EVERY STATE".

There are some ambidextrous side charger and ejected options on the horizon. Simple Grendel barrel and bolt combo and your off to the races. If you get serious about this endeavor I can point you in the right direction. With that said, you are looking for obscure stuff and that gets spendy quick.

I didn't know a hunting rifle choice had to be justified because of its appearance. ... That must be teachings of Obama 101. I misses that class.

And what " extra rounds" does a legally hunting configured AR have over bolt guns? Maybe one or two?.....oh the humanity! !!!!!

Hell, I am going to hunt with one just to piss off the libtards.

BTW, there are many AR's that will shoot one hole groups. This isn't 1984 no more.

FALSE, sounds like you need to follow YOUR own advice.............

I would link you to the proof but I can not link you to a law that does not exist in "EVERY STATE".

i am curious what states allow 30 round mags for hunting, but that still doesnt detract from FACT that in OREGON the (state i hunt in) magazines are limited to 5 rounds.

dont need a link to every state. just show me one that allows 30 round mags for HUNTING. i am honestly curious and never adverse to learning.

if im wrong i gladly admit i miss spoke, but a 30 round mag IS illegal for hunting the the state THIS thread is discussing...

There are some ambidextrous side charger and ejected options on the horizon. Simple Grendel barrel and bolt combo and your off to the races. If you get serious about this endeavor I can point you in the right direction. With that said, you are looking for obscure stuff and that gets spendy quick.

i have already been saving for a while and hunting season is a while off yet. i dont sell guns. every gun i either inherited or purchased with the intent to keep it forever, this AR falls in the latter category, im ok with spending a bit more for what i want for life. and honestly, i have never bagged a deer and plan to get my first with the carbine 94 in .32 special my dad killed his first with so it may be a year or three before i start carrying this gun... but i wanna build and shoot it this year ;-)

any help you are willing to provide will be greatly appreciated, and i must say you have been thankfully helpful thus far.

i am curious what states allow 30 round mags for hunting, but that still doesnt detract from FACT that in OREGON the (state i hunt in) magazines are limited to 5 rounds.

dont need a link to every state. just show me one that allows 30 round mags for HUNTING. i am honestly curious and never adverse to learning.

if im wrong i gladly admit i miss spoke, but a 30 round mag IS illegal for hunting the the state THIS thread is discussing...

Again I can not link you to something that does not exist. Laws are written to tell you what you can not do, not to what you can do. In WA there is no limit on mag size for game hunting, or any other shooting. There is the Federal law that deals with 3rds in shotguns for foul hunting though.

While that does not change the fact about the state you are hunting in, it IS very factual to the snide remark you made that is incorrect...........

sounds like talking points straight out of the brady campaign handbook.

Just because I think it's stupid to hunt big game with an AR style rifle,my opinion,I'm a libtard.
It's just my opinion,nothing else.
I think hunting coyotes or prairie dogs,that type hunting is great for them. Just looks stupid *TO ME* to use an AR for big game.
But I like wood on my G3 clone and on AKs not plastic.
I laugh at people on here who ask how to sell a gun to their friend in a neighboring state,and I'm a libtard.
Glad nobody at the show I had a table at this weekend knew that

While that does not change the fact about the state you are hunting in, it IS very factual to the snide remark you made that is incorrect...........

I have been respectful courtious and thankful to all the good people on here who have offered truely great advice. as soon as i was corrected about the magazine capacity i admitted i was wrong.

However when a complete stranger ignores all i have said to insult me by implying i am such an incompetent shot that i require an illegally large magazine to hunt, yes i will reply in kind with snarky statements.

If you need the extra rounds you need more practice.
I would feel silly walking around the wood deer or elk hunting with an AR type rifle
JMHO
Mike

peeps like jluck have been awesome and if i run in to him at a gun show i will definitely buy him a beer.

Just because I think it's stupid to hunt big game with an AR style rifle,my opinion,I'm a libtard.
It's just my opinion,nothing else.
I think hunting coyotes or prairie dogs,that type hunting is great for them. Just looks stupid *TO ME* to use an AR for big game.
But I like wood on my G3 clone and on AKs not plastic.
I laugh at people on here who ask how to sell a gun to their friend in a neighboring state,and I'm a libtard.
Glad nobody at the show I had a table at this weekend knew that

this thread is about selecting an AR15 appropriate hunting caliber NOT what in mjbskwim's "humble opinion" is FASHIONABLE to hunt with. I listed all the SAFETY reasons that drew me to this platform and looking silly is the least of my concerns, this thread certainly isnt "Queer eye for the hunter".

if insults bother you ask your friend to stop insulting me or stop checking this thread.

and as alway thank the rest of you so much for the provided USEFUL input.

Last Edited:
It's a TC Encore.

so if you get one with a rifle length barrel and a folding stock it is considered a rifle right? the 308 with the 15" pistol barrel would be ideal, but then i wouldnt be able to use it to hunt during rifle season? or is the 16" barrel minimum only apply to assault/automatic rifles?

all these regulations make my head spin!!!!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top