JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, excuse me for piping in with what may be a silly question but I haven't heard anybody weigh in on the 7.62x39 upper for the AR15 lower.

Is that not a feasible cartridge for deer/elk at mid range?

I use a 30-06 myself, but one of my aspirations is to pick up a 7.62x39 upper and test it out.

I haven't heard of too many reliable guns past the sig 556 in 7.62 in the AR platform. The 300 bulk is probably better than the AK round in an AR platform.

sent from Lazernote

Just get a 6.5 Grendel (with smart bullet choice) and be done with it.

I hope the handgun, bow and black powder hunters hunters see this so they know they don't have enough energy with there chosen tool to kill a elk.:rolleyes:

Other words, Yes you will have to make better decisions with ethical distance, shot choice and placement with something like a Grendel but I have a hunch you kinda knew that.

I don't intend to tell people how to hunt, just reflecting the opinion I found while searching earlier this year. I know quite a few bow hunters who have scored elk and a guy who's downed two Elk with a hand gun. Archery and Muzzleloader tends to get a better season then centerfire, where it's easier to get close to Elk, centerfire you don't always have the opportunity and a 300 or longer shot maybe required, or a picture if you're not capable. From the original post, the OP appears to want to have capability past 200 yards, so my post reflected that. Regardless of what you hunt with, the under lined portion we can all agree on.

So, excuse me for piping in with what may be a silly question but I haven't heard anybody weigh in on the 7.62x39 upper for the AR15 lower.

I use a 30-06 myself, but one of my aspirations is to pick up a 7.62x39 upper and test it out.

The only thing the 7.62x39 has on the .300 Blk is ammunition availability. From what I've seen the 300 Blk out preforms it.

I haven't heard of too many reliable guns past the sig 556 in 7.62 in the AR platform. The 300 bulk is probably better than the AK round in an AR platform.

sent from Lazernote

And there is this, I've heard it's quite a trick to get one to run well with x39 YMMV

so i have a .338 ultra mag, long shots are handled by that and it is my primary elk rifle, but is HUGE for shooting a deer.

this is going to be my primary deer rifle and used for elk on hikes. lots of my walks go through thick brush to a clear cut where theres a 300 yard shot. theres lots of clear cuts where they close the logging road but u can hike in, and i hate hiking with my 26" barrel .338, its a really big stick. but im worried that a 300 BO will leave me stranded with the bull 300 yards broadside across the cut

mostly im looking for something that can go to 300 yards and have some power behind it but wont destroy a deer.

and thanks for all the input so far, more research starts now...

if you really have to have a 300yd elk capability it's not going to happen in anything ar15 sized.

if you're dead set on a semiauto. (which adds to the weight) I'd go to a large frame ar10 sized rifle to build a 7-08 with a lightweight 16" barrel and carbon fiber handguard. and then start shooting plenty because 300yds is still a stretch for elk with the x51mm case. im fairly certain there have got to be leftie setups on the big ars by now.

I hope the handgun, bow and black powder hunters hunters see this so they know they don't have enough energy with there chosen tool to kill a elk.:rolleyes:

They are making shots at 300 yards? WOW that is VERY impressive.

Again it is a capable round, just at the correct distance. The OP had asked about shots up to 300 yard. If his question has been for shots under 150 yards or even 200 yards there are many options.

I don't intend to tell people how to hunt, just reflecting the opinion I found while searching earlier this year. I know quite a few bow hunters who have scored elk and a guy who's downed two Elk with a hand gun. Archery and Muzzleloader tends to get a better season then centerfire, where it's easier to get close to Elk, centerfire you don't always have the opportunity and a 300 or longer shot maybe required, or a picture if you're not capable. From the original post, the OP appears to want to have capability past 200 yards, so my post reflected that. Regardless of what you hunt with, the under lined portion we can all agree on.

They are making shots at 300 yards? WOW that is VERY impressive.

Again it is a capable round, just at the correct distance. The OP had asked about shots up to 300 yard. If his question has been for shots under 150 yards or even 200 yards there are many options.

I was also taking yardage vs. energy into account in my statement. No bubblegum "They" Handgun,ML and bow are not making 300 yard shots but.....
Food for thought

.50 Muzzle loader ---------- 1,300 ft lb @ 150 yards
.44 Mag ----------- 1,081 ft lb @ 50 yards
30-30 ------------ 1,300 ft lb @ 100 yards (the same 30-30 the old timers swear by)
6.5 Grendel ------------- 1,380 ft lb @ 200 yards (and over 1K past 400)

Each to there own but there are plenty of harvesting records with all of the above firearms. FWIW I agree the Grendel is on the small side and wont be my first choice for elk but if I do I will adapt my hunt to the gun.

Interesting reading.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_219/164444_.html&page=2 (405 yard pass through BTW)

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=10&f=2&t=629779 (only 50 yard)

i love the 7.62x39 but just dont understand why people try to put it through an AR15. if you want to shoot the AK round buy the AK and be done with it. theres a reason the AK is one of the most popular rifles in the world, cuz its GREAT!

i do agree 7.62 is nice short-mid range.

Just get a 6.5 Grendel (with smart bullet choice) and be done with it.

Other words, Yes you will have to make better decisions with ethical distance, shot choice and placement with something like a Grendel but I have a hunch you kinda knew that.

a GOOD shot can hit an animal beyond their guns effective range, a GREAT shot knows when not to pull the trigger.

Another option to consider might be an Enfield Jungle Carbine, either in the original .303 or one of the Gibbs conversions in .308. Or maybe a Ruger Scout carbine.

....or maybe a .45-70 lever action.

Another thought if the .30 Remington is the basis for the 6.8 and there are some AR15's being chambered for the .30 Remington, why isn't the .35 Remington being chambered in the AR platform? If barrels are available I would think this would be a hard hitting brush choice and would have the bonus of being able to use .357 handgun bullets in loading it IIRC.

458 socom is not a long range cartridge. it's a short range thumper. a friend has one, i've shot it plenty.

7.62x39 wont be a 300 yard elk round. 300blk is similar (7.62x35) and wont do it either.

your stated requirements for elk at 200+ yards in an AR platform has pretty much limited your options to 308win in AR-10. that's your only choice.

if you are willing to accept 200 yards or less, your options increase dramatically.

What is the draw to hunt with this type weapon? Why not a bolt gun that would be more accurate?
If you need the extrarounds you need more practice.
I would feel silly walking around the wood deer or elk hunting with an AR type rifle
JMHO
Mike

What is the draw to hunt with this type weapon? Why not a bolt gun that would be more accurate?
If you need the extrarounds you need more practice.
I would feel silly walking around the wood deer or elk hunting with an AR type rifle
JMHO
Mike

because i want my rifle strapped to my chest and with a pistol grip. once or twice i have slid or slipped down a steep slope and lost control of my rifle. when u fall on your butt the butt of the rifle hits the hill behind u and lifts it straight-up off your shoulder, falling down a hill along with a loaded rifle is scary when u arent in control of the rifle, i dont like to depend on the "safety".

i can get a chest strap for a rifle but that still doesnt provide that pistol grip to grab quickly in a fall...

Anyone about to make a just dont fall comment has never hunted right off the coast and shouldnt speak on things they dont understand...

I didn't know a hunting rifle choice had to be justified because of its appearance. ... That must be teachings of Obama 101. I misses that class.

And what " extra rounds" does a legally hunting configured AR have over bolt guns? Maybe one or two?.....oh the humanity! !!!!!

Hell, I am going to hunt with one just to piss off the libtards.

BTW, there are many AR's that will shoot one hole groups. This isn't 1984 no more.

at this point i am giving up on this gun being very useful for elk. it will still be my primary deer rifle; on this topic is it worth while for me to go for a larger snowflake caliber or should i just get a 5.56?

i understand that with a 5.56 i will need to be very careful about my shots & place them well since it lacks knockdown, but would i really gain that much for the price with the 6.5 or 6.8? some 6.8 uppers are very similarly priced to the 5.56 but ammo costs play a huge role, worth considering if elk are no longer in the picture.

at this point i am giving up on this gun being very useful for elk. it will still be my primary deer rifle; on this topic is it worth while for me to go for a larger snowflake caliber or should i just get a 5.56?

i understand that with a 5.56 i will need to be very careful about my shots & place them well since it lacks knockdown, but would i really gain that much for the price with the 6.5 or 6.8? some 6.8 uppers are very similarly priced to the 5.56 but ammo costs play a huge role, worth considering if elk are no longer in the picture.

All three calibers listed have limitations and purpose. The 6.5 and 6.8 have big advantages in a game hunting application. I buy factory (match grade) Hornady Grendel ammo for 22-23.00 a box, Not a whole lot more (less sometimes) than good quality .223 hunting ammo costs. I done a ton of research before purchasing a Grendel. I will hunt mule deer, Antelope and varmints with it. I do not plan on elk hunting with it but would not be afraid to use it for brush hunting elk. I will use my 7mm Remington mag for that purpose. (Some now think that's too small in the Long range hunting world)
I just don't get how so many are quick to judge rifle calibers while being totally ignorant to them and not second guess the old timer with his 30-30.

Choose what you want while you still can just know and respect it's limitations. The majority of bow hunters I know should heed that note too.

And... One reason for the AR platform, My good friend lost his pointer finger and part of his second, He really benefits from the pistol grip and he is quite particular on what he wants for in a rifle so the Lego block modular design and aftermarket support fits his needs perfect. Yes exception to the rule...

I didn't know a hunting rifle choice had to be justified because of its appearance. ... That must be teachings of Obama 101. I misses that class.

And what " extra rounds" does a legally hunting configured AR have over bolt guns? Maybe one or two?.....oh the humanity! !!!!!

Hell, I am going to hunt with one just to piss off the libtards.

BTW, there are many AR's that will shoot one hole groups. This isn't 1984 no more.

No it's in the "I don't shoot well so I need a 30 'clip' to hunt elk" class.
Sorry,not a libtard,just a reasonably good shot who likes to us guns for their intended purpose. And don't like the idea of the militant look any more than that DS OCer always trying to get the cp's attention in Beaverton

A 7.62X39 AR should be quite a bit more accurate than a AK
7.62X51 should be plenty of rifle at 400 yards for an elk......IF YOU can plant the bullet where needed.

If you are going down a steep hill and may slip and slide,CLEAR THE WEAPON until you are safe again.You ain't shooting anything till the bottom anyway. hell of a deal if the rifle got hung up and shot you ,huh? (a mag fed bolt gun wold be excellent)

And there are some pretty cool back packs with a scabbard attached.Keeps the hands free.

And... One reason for the AR platform, My good friend lost his pointer finger and part of his second, He really benefits from the pistol grip and he is quite particular on what he wants for in a rifle so the Lego block modular design and aftermarket support fits his needs perfect. Yes exception to the rule...

2 words pistolgrip stock

2 words pistolgrip stock

BINGO! AR come with one even! On that note, Friend I am referring to can't use a bolt rifle with out handle modification. He fires with middle finger and his index finger is a stub that gets hit by bolt handle upon recoil. Not that I feel the need to justify for him to hunt with the rifle of his choice but interesting food for thought I could share.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top