JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I started reloading in 1978 with a RCBS Ruck Chucker. It would take + 3 hours to do 100 rounds of 357 mag. I upgraded to
a Dillon 550 30 years ago. I do multiple rifle and pistol calibers. Now I can do 100 rounds in 15 minutes easy. I load rifle
calibers like 30/06 weighing each powder charge. I do this with powders like IMR 4064 that does not meter consistently
through a powder thrower. I also now have a rock Chucker Supreme.
Weighing each 30/06 charge of powder with a RCBS Chargemaster.
1577441855289.png
Every crank of the handle produces a loaded 9mm round.
DSC00213.JPG

It looks like the Lee classic turret will not load the 300 Weatherby mag case, which is 2.825". The Redding T7 has 3.8" of "ram throw", does that mean I would have an inch of space above the case to place the bullet?

All of your responses have been helpful. I don't want to leave anything to assumptions as I enter this project.
It'll load those easy. Remove the indexing rod so it operates like any other single stage "O" press.
Takes about two seconds.

If you like to take your time buy a rockchucker press, do it the basic slow way, i found it relaxing to sit down in the quiet and load shells. For handgun ammo a uniflow powder measure is nice to have. This way your in control of every step

I started with an RCBS Jr. press back in the 70's, then took a several decade hiatus from loading and firearms. Got back into both a few years ago, and decided to stick with single stage, although this time with a Rock Chucker. Also picked up a Hornady LNL Classic, too good a deal to pass up, but although I like the LNL feature enough that I retro fitted my Rock Chucker, the press, not so much. It's not as smooth or robust as the RC, but I keep it on hand for light stuff, or as a backup. Mostly use it for bulk depriming so I don't gunk up the RC. Was thinking seriously about a Redding T7 for awhile, but my reloading is catch as catch can. I do a lot of stuff off the press, I have both a hand deprimer and priming tool, and have been known to prime cases while watching TV. I seldom sit down and run a whole batch of anything, start to finish. My biggest bottle neck, IMO, was powder charging for precision rounds, I'd set my thrower light, then trickle up on my beam scale. Tedious and slow! Fixed that by buying a Frankford Arsenal Intellidropper, that's probably been the biggest boost to my enjoyment of reloading, and my production rate. Depending on powder and charge weight, I can easily charge 50 cases in 15 minutes or so, and know they're all spot on. I'll still use my Hornady powder measure for blasting ammo in pistols and .223, but for accuracy loads, this FA unit is the bomb, and less than half the cost of a new Chargemaster. Did I mention I really like this thing :D?

Like I said, I considered a turret, and even a progressive, but for my uses, the single stage is king. I don't shoot competitions, and I don't get out nearly as often as I'd like. Heck, I've got test loads for one of my rifles that I loaded LAST winter that I still haven't gotten around to shooting yet :rolleyes:. Unless you're planning on a LOT of shooting, I see no reason for anything beyond a good single stage. Whatever you decide on, good luck, and enjoy! Later.

As a "first timer" to reloading...….may I suggest? IMHO.....

Start with a single stage press and learn the process. Adjusting dies and in some cases "over camming" might be needed.
Move up to the "progressive press" only after you've mastered the single stage.

I started with a single stage press (RCBS Jr) and reloaded 38 special ammo as my first adventure into reloading. I believe that the rimmed case made things easier for me. Not to mention that I was heavy into shooting revolvers. Later, I tried bottle necked cases (.223 Rem and .308 W). I bought my first "progressive" when Dillion (the Dillon 300?) first came out with advertising. I was shocked that the machine that I got did not even look like the pictures in the magazine. Yup....they were still "improving" their machine back then. Anyway, the Dillion has since taken a back seat to my three Lee M1000s for pistol calibers. I just found it faster/cheaper to change the machine on the bench (with all the dies and the powder measure, set to my favorite load). As for reloading bottle necked ammo? Well, the RCBS Rock Chucker comes in handy for that duty. Mostly because I'm trimming cases and only reloading in small 100 round batches. For me, ball powder has been my first choice when reloading bottle necked rifle cartridges.

So, even though I have progressive presses available (including the old Dillion)......the Rock Chucker single stage still has a place.

Aloha, Mark

PS....the only reason why I don't have the RCBS Jr anymore is because a friend traded with me. The RCBS Rock Chucker for it, straight across. He was prepping and wanted the smaller RCBS Jr for his bug out reloading.

Last Edited:
I don't have a need for a progressive, but the reason the turrets appeal to me is that I don't need to adjust and change dies between steps or between cartridges. I will likely be loading only 40 rifle cartridges of each chambering (probably 4 or 5 different chamberings) per month. I've read that I can use a turret press like a single stage and once I get more comfortable with the process start using it to its full potential. Is that accurate?

I don't have a need for a progressive, but the reason the turrets appeal to me is that I don't need to adjust and change dies between steps or between cartridges. I will likely be loading only 40 rifle cartridges of each chambering (probably 4 or 5 different chamberings) per month. I've read that I can use a turret press like a single stage and once I get more comfortable with the process start using it to its full potential. Is that accurate?

This is 100% accurate. And really easy and quick to do.

Yes pretty hard to beat the versatility of a turret. Slightly faster than a single stage if you want to do some handgun stuff and with the turret head on the LCT you can switch calibers in a blink. Clearance on my lct is 4.2" from shell holder to bottom of turret housing. Even with the sizing and seating dies screwed in you should have better than 3.75" of clearance. Even a .300win mag is no issue with that clearance.

JMHO ... A lot of years at the loading bench. Two presses for me now. A Forster CO-AX for all rifle and precision loading. No screwing dies in and out for fast die changes. And a Lee Classic turret for the high volume handgun and 5.56 loads. Like Dyjital, multiple quick change heads and powder measures make volume loading easy. The Lee turret will easily load 250/hr when you get used to it. CO-AX press are not cheap but worth it. Lee turrets are cheap compared to other turrets and progressives. And I know of several people who use a Dillon like a turret press for long range precision handloads.

Yes. 100%

I've started individuals on my turret without the indexing rod so they run one step at a time and manually index.

Even with a single stage press, you can set the locking nut of your die with a set screw and then it's a simple task of screwing in the die and tightening it down using the same force each time. The locking nuts I prefer are the ones made by Hornaday (though I don't like their dies so much for some reason): Hornady Sure-Loc Die Locking Ring 7/8-14 Thread package of 6 These seem to work much better for me than the type that has a set screw that goes straight into the die's threads.

If you are only making 200 rds/month, a single stage is fine. I usually make pistol rounds in batches of 2-300 and it doesn't really take that long, although I don't do it one sitting. I'll size/decap and then clean (wet or vibratory), on some other day put in primers and expand case mouths, some time later drop powder and seat bullets. I don't think it takes but an hour for each of the steps in which I'm actively doing something even for several hundred pistol cases.

For rifle, everything slows way down because of all the measuring (cases, topping up a powder charge on a scale, maybe weighing and measuring bullets) -- I don't see how a turret would make that process all that much faster.

I also found a Lock N Load adapter set which allows rapid die changes on a single stage. What I'm considering is starting with a single stage to ensure that I actually sit down and load before buying a thousand dollars of equipment that are never used, due to work and family obligations. If I actually use it often enough that it limits me, I can buy a turret or progressive and will have a better skill set at that time.

I also found a Lock N Load adapter set which allows rapid die changes on a single stage. What I'm considering is starting with a single stage to ensure that I actually sit down and load before buying a thousand dollars of equipment that are never used, due to work and family obligations. If I actually use it often enough that it limits me, I can buy a turret or progressive and will have a better skill set at that time.

I think that's a good plan. I've been using a single stage press since 1995 and have thought about getting a progressive in recent years, especially in the summer when I might be shooting 200 - 300 rounds per weekend, but then I sort of make up for that consumption rate in the winter by shooting 200-300 per month but stocking up for summer.

I should say I did buy one thing that really sped up the process, and that was one of those tube primer feeders that you attach to a press -- manually putting primers into the little cup one at a time was a huge slow down. Using the primer feeder makes the process of priming 3-4x as fast I'm guessing. I have this: Amazon.com : Redding Slide Bar Automatic Primer Feeder : Sports & Outdoors on my single stage but it will also fit Redding's turret press. Aside from buying a press and dies I need, best thing I ever bought.

In the past.....
I thought about a turret press. It seemed like a good solution (for me) vs. having to screw dies in and out of my RCBS. But then.....there was the problem of finding one that could hold the multitude of calibers that I reload for. LOL. You know, 4, 6 holes or maybe more?

So then, the LEE with removable heads did seem like a better solution. But then......the big hurdle for me was the small amount of "movement" (the head within the machine itself). Yup, what makes it work is the fact that the head turns or can be replaced on the press. So, there is that source of "necessary machining gap" (leading to flex or movement) which means the possibility that I may not get exactly repeatable results (say when full-length resizing).

LOL. Rrrright. Can I really take advantage of that? Could I really even shoot that good to see the difference?

STORY TIME.....
I once had reloaded .308 W ammo that would work in my M1a but wouldn't work in my son's Remington 700. The ammo passed the resizing headspace gauge test. Hummm......right, his chamber was just slightly tighter.

So, I had to adjust the die down a bit more and went with "over camming the handle" on my RCBS Rockchucker. Could a LEE or other turret press have taken the extra pressure I used? IDK? Anyway.....based on that experience, I've stuck with O presses for rifle reloading duties. I figure that a C press, though suitable for straight-walled cases, might not be able to take the extra pressure needed to f/l resizing duties of bottlenecked rifle cases. Rrrright......the typical turret press is like a C press. But, the LEE design is NOT. It's more like an O press. So, it might be suitable? IDK? But there is still that amount of flex (movement) that I see in the head to body fitment.

But then, what do I know about anything? The LEE turret press could just work for you.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
It looks like the Lee classic turret will not load the 300 Weatherby mag case, which is 2.825". The Redding T7 has 3.8" of "ram throw", does that mean I would have an inch of space above the case to place the bullet?

All of your responses have been helpful. I don't want to leave anything to assumptions as I enter this project.

The opening is about 4 3/4" so that's about right. For longer cartridges there are seating dies like the rcbs that have a window on the side to make it easier to seat bullets in longer cases.

In the past.....
I thought about a turret press. It seemed like a good solution (for me) vs. having to screw dies in and out of my RCBS. But then.....there was the problem of finding one that could hold the multitude of calibers that I reload for. LOL. You know, 4, 6 holes or maybe more?

So then, the LEE with removable heads did seem like a better solution. But then......the big hurdle for me was the small amount of "movement" (the head within the machine itself). Yup, what makes it work is the fact that the head turns or can be replaced on the press. So, there is that source of "necessary machining gap" (leading to flex or movement) which means the possibility that I may not get exactly repeatable results (say when full-length resizing).

LOL. Rrrright. Can I really take advantage of that? Could I really even shoot that good to see the difference?

STORY TIME.....
I once had reloaded .308 W ammo that would work in my M1a but wouldn't work in my son's Remington 700. The ammo passed the resizing headspace gauge test. Hummm......right, his chamber was just slightly tighter.

So, I had to adjust the die down a bit more and went with "over camming the handle" on my RCBS Rockchucker. Could a LEE or other turret press have taken the extra pressure I used? IDK? Anyway.....based on that experience, I've stuck with O presses for rifle reloading duties. I figure that a C press, though suitable for straight-walled cases, might not be able to take the extra pressure needed to f/l resizing duties of bottlenecked rifle cases. Rrrright......the typical turret press is like a C press. But, the LEE design is NOT. It's more like an O press. So, it might be suitable? IDK? But there is still that amount of flex (movement) that I see in the head to body fitment.

But then, what do I know about anything? The LEE turret press could just work for you.

Aloha, Mark
Is there any "play" while at full stroke? No there is not.

The RCBS with LnL adapter is a good setup. Its just the base press is $$ compared to other options.
My cousin runs this mentioned setup and it's good.

A quick way of seeing what you are getting is look at the warranty and if the company stands behind it. For example, RCBS, Rdding, Dillion, Lyman, Hornady, Forester ALL have life time warranties for pretty much everything they make, that they stand behind. Lee is the only major player that has a so called "2 year" warranty, that in my experience, they do NOT stand behind.

Lee makes some great stuff, but in my experience, presses are not one of them, and if something does go wrong, and it usually does, Lee will NOT make it good. Period.

You can buy a cheap, junk press that will need to be replaced quickly (note 2 year "warranty") if you actually use it, or you can buy a quality press from a company that stands behind it. The choice is yours. I like RCBS RockChucker single stage (45 years old) and Dillion 550 (20 years old) much better than the Lee LoadMaster that failed within minutes of being set up and Lee refused to repair or replace under their so called "2 year" warranty after it had been sent back to teh factory 28 times and they admitted (factory letter) was trashed from the factory (improper heat treating) but so what? I bought cheap junk, I got what I deserved.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top