JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I delayed my planned reloading project until I moved into my current house. I now have a sturdy bench and secure storage next to it. I want to reload magnum rifle cartridges and eventually also magnum handgun chamberings. I intend to start on 45-70 because of its straight wall design. I read the ABC's of Reloading, but it is extremely basic. Is there a turret press which would be suitable for such a wide range of cartridges?

I have used Lee since I started in the 70's. If you want to load the larger rifle stuff may be worth getting something heavier like the Rock Chucker. The ones I have used are really well made.

I've used a Lee turret press since the 80's. I like the quick change capabilities with multiple plates, but it doesn't necessarily align the dies and ram well. That said, I've loaded thousands of rounds for highpower rifle competition and always get reasonably good results.

Is there a turret press which would be suitable for such a wide range of cartridges?
the Lee classic press like this one I have many caliber heads. I've ran countless thousands of rounds through it.

Head/caliber changes are about 20 seconds without adding powder to the new hopper or emptying the previous.

Loading 44Mag
Screen Shot 2019-12-26 at 9.08.07 PM.png

Multiple turret heads for the calibers I run. I have more heads for the progressive, these are just the turret heads.
Screen Shot 2019-12-26 at 9.08.24 PM.png

I promise I won't nerd out. I like to think I have a good setup at the house for a lot of calibers and good production abilities.

turret press in motion:
here

Last Edited:
I also own and use a Lee. More specifically I have the classic cast turret, which quite frankly I am extremely happy with (minus the priming system).

I do appreciate how when you are either seating a bullet or resizing a case, it locks in all the way around the ring. As has been said sometimes there is a timing issue, but nothing that can't be addressed or worked around. I have seen other designs anchored in the center that would have too much deflection for my liking.

That said if surgical precision is your goal it would be extremely difficult to beat a single stage

Hey, you gotta adjust the nut on the bottom of the indexer... and make sure your indexing bushing isn't wallered out.

Agreed, everything needs to be tightened and aligned as much as possible. My point is really that with the various moving parts it won't be as straight as a good quality single stage press. Even at that, rifle reloads that slightly out of concentricity are going to be more accurate that most of us can shoot...

A while ago I went with a Dillon 550. It seems any color press you pick can do the job, some might do a specific job a different or better way than others, there is also a price difference to consider.

Last Edited:
Even at that, rifle reloads that slightly out of concentricity are going to be more accurate that most of us can shoot...
ah, yes. which is why you shouldn't load precision rounds on a turret press. That's what a single stage is for. but what's .005 out of concentric??? :)

but for non-important stuff, turrets are right below a progressive for speed. I think I put out around 250/hr on mine and 600/hr on the progressive.

ah, yes. which is why you shouldn't load precision rounds on a turret press. That's what a single stage is for. but what's .005 out of concentric??? :)

but for non-important stuff, turrets are right below a progressive for speed. I think I put out around 250/hr on mine and 600/hr on the progressive.

Good lord that's some speed!!! I can only hope to make it up that high I'm at exactly 100/hr. With a powder verification every 20 on a digital.

Once you throw pistol into the mix, the Lee cast iron auto indexing turret press is the way to go. If it was just rifle, nothing wrong with a single stage.

I have a couple Lee presses. The oldest Turret, is the one I use. I have always liked them for the way I can just buy extras so dies stay set up. Never have tried to use them as a progressive, just like to be able to drop a set of dies in when needed. Have always batch loaded. Will size a bunch, then move to next step batch at a time. I soon did not like the priming tool so just started using the hand tool they make. Will often sit and do this while watching TV or such. The largest I have ever rolled on them is .308. When doing that I could feel it was some work which is why I would suspect if people get into the larger stuff a heavier press may be better. Now days all I roll in hand gun stuff so it's super simple.

My experience is with a fairly narrow selection of presses. When you find something you like, why change? I used an RCBS Rock Chucker II press for years. Which I was happy with. BUT. OP mentioned wanting to load magnum rifle cartridges. For this work, make sure you get one with a tall enough opening to take the cartridge case and still has enough room to comfortably seat the bullet. Loading .30-06 on the RC II, I had to kinda cock the bullet on an angle to be able to set it into the mouth of the case. When the Lee Classic Cast press came out, I bought one of those and the opening is quite a bit taller, easy to manipulate bullets into a tall case mouth on that one. So I've used that one now for years.

After 36 years of loading single stage, earlier this year I got a deal on a Dillon 550. Which I have pretty much mastered but I feel it will always be a little fiddly. And, I find it doesn't have much enjoyment factor, I don't know if you can quantify that. This is just a hobby for me so when the enjoyment reduces, that's not a good thing. I've loaded 9mm and .45 ACP on it, I think this is where it's application is best. I've also loaded .223 and .308 on it, not as much advantage and more fiddly.

I have a new Forster coaxial press that I've had for a while, haven't yet used it.

One I can surely dis-recommend. That's the Lyman T-Mag turret press. I got one cheap in another deal before I got the Dillon to see if I liked something a step up from single stage loading. I hated everything about the Lyman. For one thing, I think the turret design lent itself to a certain amount of flex. Second, this press didn't provide adequate leverage, 9mm brass sizing with a carbide die was near torture. Third, the handle balance was such that the handle didn't want to reliably stay in the up position when not in use. I found a new owner for this one.

One thing about presses, even single stage, they are like anything else mechanical. They require occasional maintenance. Like wiping down the ram and re-oiling it. Also, oil all pivot points.

I think I'm pretty much pressed-out, won't be trying anything new beyond what I've got now.

It looks like the Lee classic turret will not load the 300 Weatherby mag case, which is 2.825". The Redding T7 has 3.8" of "ram throw", does that mean I would have an inch of space above the case to place the bullet?

All of your responses have been helpful. I don't want to leave anything to assumptions as I enter this project.

I purchased a Redding big boss 2 single stage because it was on sale and is advertised specifically for larger Magnum rounds. Supposedly it can handle the .50 BMG but I'm a little sceptical. It handles 7mm Remington Magnum with a mile to spare, though.

I started with a Lee turret press, loading .45ACP and .44 Magnum. I have since gone on to Dillon 650 and 1050 plus a Forster CoAx for my attempts at precision loading. However I still keep the Lee handy because it's just so easy to use. It is the best beginner press out there.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top