Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Seems to me

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by joken, Dec 16, 2013.

1. joken

joken Corvallis Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

A long gun that has been finished in Cerakote increases in value a bit while hand guns may well be worth less. What do you guy's think? Ken

2. .45's and .38's

.45's and .38's Happy Valley OR Well-Known Member

I think handguns & rifles are worth more cerakoated

3. simon99

simon99 Central Oregon Well-Known Member

Value is only in the eye of the beholder and what people are willing to pay. I'm not saying a weapon that has been coated is worth less, but it might not be worth any more to most buyers as well.

4. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Are you talking about new firearms that were coated at the factory, or, a used gun that was Cerakoted?

5. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

The premise would depend completely on what the firearm is.

A AR-15 you put together from misc parts could very well be worth a little more with a Cerakote finish.

A 1925 Winchester Saddle Ring Carbine in 30-30 could have its $1200.00 value cut to $400.00 or even more.

A Colt Python with a Cerakote finish would be worth less then one with its original finish

A Beretta 92 might be worth a little more with a nice Cerakote finish.

It all depends on what your talking about.

Garg, mancat, mjbskwim and 3 others like this.
  6. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Plus with all the different colors,who knows if the buyer would want the same color you liked.

7. joken

joken Corvallis Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I should have been more specific. I'm speaking of guns with no collector value prior to coating.

8. simon99

simon99 Central Oregon Well-Known Member

I wouldn't pay any more for a weapon that's been coated. CeraKote and Duracoat can be too personalized, like stippling or engraving.

9. nick1980

nick1980 Portland, OR Active Member

I would never pay more. For me personally it decreases value

10. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

Ken= Japanese for sword

Jo
    a firearm is a tool but humans are artists as well as artificers' and so there is always a desire to personalize an object, even stone axes are personalized. Many feel that a durable coating de-personalizes a firearm and so shun it; as one who has fought corrosion for decades before cerracoat arrived and settled on enamel paint to preserve the functionality of my tools I would pay extra for the coating having learned that tools only have value when used to accomplish a task. The more durable the tool, the higher it's value (which brings us back to stone axes.,, and my ex-wife) :)

11. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

I put a spoiler on my Pinto.. I easily doubled its value since it took a couple a fancy chrome nuts to bolt it on there. probably worth at least fiddy cent now