Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Seeking UNJACKETED LEAD .45 ACP standard pressure -- please help!

Discussion in 'Ammunition Wanted' started by fireninja13, Nov 10, 2013.

1. fireninja13

fireninja13 Newberg / Portland Metro Active Member

Hey NWFA -- I'm trying to find some unjacketed lead .45 ACP in standard pressure so I can go out shooting with my S&W m1917 revolver. According to my research, use of jacketed bullets would cause excessive barrel wear on my antique gun, and the bore and rifling is so sharp and well preserved that I'd hate to ruin it. But, it is also a crying shame not to shoot the old warhorse.

Round nose, WC, SWC, or HP bullets would all work, but it needs to be standard pressure, and I'd prefer brass casings as I'm old fashioned ;)

I have tried all my local stores with no luck -- if anyone knows a retailer who sells this, or has some to sell, please contact me. And, while I'd prefer factory ammo, I would consider a bulk purchase from an experienced hand loader.

Also I'm hoping to stay within a reasonable drive of the portland metro area, although I pretty routinely head North to Seattle for business, and south toward Salem for family stuff, so somewhere on the I-5 corridor could work as well.

Thanks!

2. techieguy

techieguy Well-Known Member

PM sent

3. fireninja13

Thanks for the helpful ideas NWFA members! I am still looking, and closer to Portland is better, and I would prefer factory ammo.

Thanks!

4. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

PM sent.

5. springfield0612

springfield0612 Poulsbo Member

Ultramax Remanufactured Ammo 45 ACP 230 Grain Lead Round Nose
    Ultramax Remanufactured Ammo 45 ACP 200 Grain Lead Semi-Wadcutter Box
    Magtech Sport Ammo 45 ACP 200 Grain Lead Semi-Wadcutter Box of 50

I know these are not local but they are factory loads and maybe you could talk to your local LGS about ordering some. But in the last 10 years that I've been shooting and reloading for .45 ACP I've never seen any of these sitting on shelves in any gun store large or small I've ever visited in multiple states around the country.

6. HappyRoman

HappyRoman Sherwood Forest Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

pm sent

7. lcb97269

lcb97269 Milwaukie, OR Life Member Lifetime Supporter

The 1917 was made for standard military ball ammo. If you were to shoot 25,000 rounds out of it, you might see some wear.

8. fireninja13

not an issues anymore -- thanks NWFA!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.