JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It looks like the FN AR, (Im assuming a connection/one owns the other). If I remember right from a Shotgun News article you cannot remove the bolt and it is suggested that you send it back to the factory after X amount of rounds for maintenance.

Bruce.

Last Edited:
Get the one that fits.
For me it's a FAL
I would stay in the 18" barrel range.
16" is cool at first. After a can of ammo the novelty of it wore thin for me.

I'm building a para with an 18" barrel.

If you are looking for a 7.62x51mm I would have to steer you towards a FAL

Right now the market is soft for FAL's
If ya ever wanted one you had better get with it.

If ya look around you can find some smoking deals.

A couple yrs ago(pre-O) at the gunshow, I found a used Armalite AR-10, compensated
20" A-2 version with the handle-sight. Priced at $850, I went for it.
Being skeptical, to the range it went: not bad with egyptian ammo. Now, even with open sights, a little trigger work, and my loads, I get 1 1/2 moa and I am a big fan. Thinking of a flattop upper and an 18in bbl.(16 is too short for me) for variety..liking that platform!

I've shot 1/2 groups with my AR-10T. It is possible with reloads. 165gr. Nosler Accubond 40.5 Varget. Winchester Large Rifle Primers.
P1030165.jpg
This was a target I shot while working up a load for this rifle. I think I started around 38 and ended up around 45.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, looked at LWRC, as I own a 5.56 upper from them. But their 308 platform is SOOOO damned expensive! Also, I've read there is some mag issues w/ them. I'm trying to put my hands on a LMT to check it out...

Anyone have firsthand experience w/ POF? They seem to be a middle ground pricewise between the LWRC and DPMS stuff. I am looking hard at the FAL's still too.... I'm hoping that I'll be able to see several at the Albany show.

Converted Saiga .308 all the way.

Way more dependable than one of those G3s or FN FALs, unless you own one of the $1000-$4000 ones.. then its a different story, but on a budget, buy a Saiga .308. Convert it, buy tons of magazines; and never have to worry about needing a .308 again. But that would be for a MBR not a tack driving target rifle.

Well I got to check out several DPMS at the albany show..I didn't care for the setups on the ones they had (that heavy Alum handguard.). I like the looks (and specs) of their REPR, but I haven't even seen one avail online yet.
There were a few M1 SOCOM & Scout version...akward as **** (at least the SOCOM). And spendy. There was 1 DSA made FAL that was nice--a bit forward heavy tho(21" barrel I think). But nicely made it seemed.
There is a guy on here selling a PARA FAL for about $200 less than DSA's MSRP that I may check out.
So far I can't find anyone w/ a POF or LMT in 308 to put my hands on, but I have seen the POF's in 5.56. They are nicely made, but the quad rail seems a bit oversized & awkward (compared to the DD rail on my M4).

Well I got to check out several DPMS at the albany show..I didn't care for the setups on the ones they had (that heavy Alum handguard.). I like the looks (and specs) of their REPR, but I haven't even seen one avail online yet.
There were a few M1 SOCOM & Scout version...akward as **** (at least the SOCOM). And spendy. There was 1 DSA made FAL that was nice--a bit forward heavy tho(21" barrel I think). But nicely made it seemed.
There is a guy on here selling a PARA FAL for about $200 less than DSA's MSRP that I may check out.
So far I can't find anyone w/ a POF or LMT in 308 to put my hands on, but I have seen the POF's in 5.56. They are nicely made, but the quad rail seems a bit oversized & awkward (compared to the DD rail on my M4).

I know what your saying about the socom. they are short and can be tossed around fast but they really are heavy for there size.if it was a socom 2 you were looking at they are terrible in my opinion. the one i had for a short time first thing i did was yank the rail off and stick a standard top cover on it.
the balance was really good but it wasn't for me.
you really need to look at a 18inch fal. i've had para dsa and original belgian para fal. both are great guns i'm not much into the folding stock but that's just me. i have large hands and when the stock is folded it is hard for me to shoot it. so why bother. para parts cost more as far as bolt carrier and some small parts but most go para's. all dsa fal guns i
have had and decided to sell when flying off the table. people are always looking for them.there are a ton of 308 rifles but not many stack up to a fal in so many ways.

...there are a ton of 308 rifles but not many stack up to a fal in so many ways.

FAL: the original piston .308!

I don't where to go to look for this but ask around and see if there are any happy POF users. I have met quite a few happy previous POF owners who all complained about the same issue, unreliable. But that is just hear-say and this is the internet and everything you read here is bunk so research it yourself.

My 2/100 ths of a dollar.

SF-

FAL: the original piston .308!

I don't where to go to look for this but ask around and see if there are any happy POF users. I have met quite a few happy previous POF owners who all complained about the same issue, unreliable. But that is just hear-say and this is the internet and everything you read here is bunk so research it yourself.

My 2/100 ths of a dollar.

SF-

I have a friend with one and he loves his.
last time we went out shooting i got to shoot it and they are nice.
smooth as it gets.he said that he has about 1k through it. that was before we put another 500 with out 1 issue.
if i was going to pick up another 308 i think i would go for a pof np3 in a 16 or 18 the one we were shooting was a 16.

My saiga 308 is becomming my favorite rifle to shoot. Just plain trouble free. Goes bang every time and eats any thing you put in it. If it's not quite as accurate as some others it's ok cause it shoots better than I do. I'm really tired of fail to extract or eject on semi autos. Also the sure fire mags are fool proof but expensive.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top