JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been looking for one of these w/o success for awhile now. . . was second caller on two nice ones, and passed on a couple 'cause they were too beat up. . .

Anyway, cash/trade in hand for a good one at a good price. Only interested in pre-lock pre MIM (firing pin on hammer) variants with 3" barrel. The older the better.

Cash in hand for a good one at a fair price. Seeking FTF in the PDX Metro area. I have a OR DL and CHL available for your inspection.

Also, have some nice guns and misc stuff for trade ;)

Last Edited:
FWIW I have a 642 with a lock that's never given me a problem. My S&W made the trip back to Cylinder and Slide for a full tune up, they told me the S&W locks in their experience are usually very problem free. I'd almost forgotten mine was there.

I completely understand if you want one without the lock, just offering my experience with them. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another with the lock. As they say, one man's opinion.....

From what I have read/heard the locks are mainly a functional issue on the alloy framed magnum revolvers -- something about the hardened stamped steel lock mechanism cutting into the softer alloy frame under heavy recoil and then "locking up" the gun and rendering it suddenly inoperable during use. There are many verified accounts of this occurring -- enough so that I take it pretty seriously.

Shouldn't be an issue with a stainless frame Smitty like your 642, but my personal distaste for frame locks springs as much from aesthetics and politics as from function :) Fortunately, S&W made a lot of excellent guns before switching to the MIM process and adding frame locks, so I'm confident I'll find one eventually.

Mine is an airweight, aluminum frame, but .38 special isn't what I'd call a "hard" recoiling round. The guys at C&S seemed very unconcerned, that was good enough for me.

Good luck on the hunt.....:cool:

Members are allowed to ask whatever they want for items posted in the classified sections. If you don't like the price of an item, simply move on. Posting negative comments will result in the revocation of your classified privileges.