JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been buying AR15 & AR308 parts to put a couple of builds together. I have no aspirations to become a professional gunsmith, so I didn't think it was necessary to buy all top-of-the-line tools. I saw Wheeler sold in multiple stores and thought they would be good enough, so I picked up a hollow-ground screwdriver kit and roll pin punches.

My roll pin punches bent on the first use and one of the flathead screwdriver bits just snapped in half on me, with very little torque. I think I can stick with the Wheeler brass/nylon hammer, but I'm not buying any more Wheeler products and want to replace the screwdriver kit and punches.

What recommendations for punch and screwdriver sets would you have that would be good enough for a hobbyist AR assembler?

Huh... I was going to recommend the Wheeler stuff, as the screwdriver ( bit set) and punches have been pretty solid, for me, for the money. You can get more serious quality punches from outfits like Fastenal, Snap-On, Matco, etc, but they cost a fair bit more. The plastic puck armorer's tool with holes for pins to go through is useful, also. Midway has Starrett, which should be outstanding. Gunsmithing Punches & Stamps | Roll Pin Starter | Shop Today & Save

For an AR you're not going to be using screwdrivers, however I have an opinion on them.
I use all manner of "bit" type screwdrivers at work and home. (mostly Impact driven)
The Klein kit is probably Best of Breed for a hand bit-holding screwdriver.
A simple bit-holder screwdriver (no ratchet) is hard to find anymore.

For slotted screws I bought the Forster/Bonanza Kit of hollow ground screwdrivers years ago.
They are not cheap (so you have to be committed), but if you need to apply (hand) power to a slotted screw without goobering it up, this is your set.
And in the smaller sizes, "real" screwdrivers give you that slim shaft that you sometimes need.
Bit-Holder screwdrivers cannot provide this "feature", if you follow me.

Roll Pin Starter Punches :
Brownell's

Roll Pin Punches :
Grace USA

Bolt Catch Roll Pin Punch :
Brownell's

Chapman has served my multi-bit needs very well over the decades. They have a variety of kit sizes from small basic to pretty complete for components. Check their website.

Last Edited:
I use Brownell's Magna-Tip. Special made bits that actually fit screw heads correctly.

Starrett punches...but Obsidian makes an AR punch set that my students use in the Armorer classes...they've been holding up well.

I too use the Brownell's Magna tip stuff, it's really not cheap, but it's really good stuff, with free replacement if you break it - i just wrenched a butt plate screw off last night with it, so tight that i needed to grip it between my legs and use a grip pad on the screwdriver handle, no breakage :)

For punches, roll pin and flat, i use and love the Grace USA punches.

I keep this set in my bug out bag:

Complete AR-15 Armorer's Punch Set, 12-piece - Obsidian Arms

Grace punch set:

GRACE USA ROLL PIN PUNCHES | Brownells

Roll pin holder:

BROWNELLS ROLL PIN HOLDERS | Brownells

Screw driver set. Useful for somethings only since they just flat screwdrivers.

GRACE USA SCREWDRIVER SET | Brownells

I did buy a set of vise blocks for working on my AR. I have one AR with a carry handle.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/bench-vise-blocks/action-block-lower-vise-block-set-sku080000659-22385-53369.aspx

KAK Roll pin starter:

KAK BOLT CATCH ROLL PIN STARTER PUNCH (WALT'S TOOL)

KAK Trigger pin alignment tool:

KAK HAMMER TRIGGER PIN ALIGNMENT TOOL (MIKE'S TOOL)

Last Edited:
I have the Grace Roll Pin set that Tony posted above and a Starrett Drive Pin and Center Punch set. Either of those should serve you well...particularly the Starretts.

I also have Brownells starter punch set which may be a good idea if you're bending punches. Punches are essentially a disposable item but hopefully you get some good long service out of them before they need to be replaced. A starter pin set is a collection of shorter punches. The idea is you get the pin moving initially with the starter punch. And because it's shorter, it doesn't bend as easily and if it does, it's cheaper to replace it. It helps increase the life of your regular punches.

I've had the following for 40 + years and still use them everyday

Punches: Williams Tools

Screw Drivers: Chapman and Forster. Grace doesn't fit anything without fitting them (I am not kidding, I have a set and never use them)

Regards

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top