JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
i am trying to track down and buy back a musket that a younger family member (who didn't realize the family history of this gun) mistakenly sold to a pawn shop in Oregon in September 2017.I

The rifle is a Springfield M1861, stamped E. Robinson New York 1864. I do not have a photo of it. No sling, and no bayonet, but it did have a ramrod attached under the barrel. This rifle also has an 1864 Indian head penny embedded in the stock.

I don't know whether the E. Robinson is in an arc over the New York, which would make it a later batch of the 30,00 such rifles that E. Robinson manufactured.

It was sold to State Street Jewelry and Pawn in Salem, Oregon around mid-September 2017, and likely bought by one of their customers not long after that.

My son who lives in Salem has been in touch with the pawn shop, and they said they didn't have any record of whoever bought the gun -- my son didn't ask for a name and address of that buyer, only wanted to know what town or city the buyer was from so we could concentrate where to put notices. They do have a record of the gun being sold to them, as well as a photo of the lock plate, but when my son asked to have a copy of that photo sent to his phone they said they couldn't "export" it. We are waiting to hopefully get a printout of the lock plate, as any scratches or rust could be helpful in identifying the specific gun.

To be very clear: No one is in trouble here. We simply want to find this gun and buy it BACK from whoever bought it from State Street Jewelry and Pawn in September or October 2017. We are willing to pay a bit extra to ensure that the buyer can then go on and purchase a similar musket if he/she wishes. We just want OURS.

This musket belonged to my Great-Grandfather, who volunteered to serve in the Union Army. He left college at age 20 and enlisted in the 160th Infantry, New York Volunteers in late August 1862. He was in service for 3 years, wounded once in the Third Battle of Winchester but remained with his Company B, and was mustered out November 1, 1865 in Savannah, GA.

The musket has been kept in good to very good condition, always indoors, I believe all parts are original. We also have the brass powder flask (missing a top).

Would appreciate any of you passing this along to anyone you know -- especially in Oregon, but not limited to there because people travel and people move -- who might have bought this musket, even if the musket has been sold on from that buyer ... we can still use any and all such information to work on tracking it down.

Many thanks for your attention.
Barb

I have a Springfield armory 1861 contract rifled musket that my family has had for several generations. Just got it into firing condition over the winter. I really feel bad for your family. I hope you find and are able to bring it home.
mill post a pic of mine in a couple min to show what it should look like.

238BFD25-C105-4E42-B57A-E2E4806833A5.jpeg 19E04200-6D80-4911-836A-59AE542DC8B8.jpeg

It should be beech or walnut. If you go over to civil war forums they are a superb resource. Within 3 days of joining and posting pics I had all the info I could handle. Great people.
Might be some one local to the sales point joined there for research. Just a thought.

It should be beech or walnut. If you go over to civil war forums they are a superb resource. Within 3 days of joining and posting pics I had all the info I could handle. Great people.
Might be some one local to the sales point joined there for research. Just a thought.

Could I post the same info/request there or would that be considered spamming?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top