JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello everybody out there, I just had a crazy idea that as long as I am hunting for a job outside in the real world, maybe some of you fine internet gun folks might have some leads.

I'm experienced as a cook first and foremost, as I spent the last three and a half years working at a local restaurant/lounge/venue in the kitchen. However, I am not limited to the service industry. Retail, labor, production, and sales are all strong points for me, as well as a quick mind and solid interpersonal skills.

Wage I'm not picky about. As long as I can pay my rent and have money for new toys every once in a while I will be fine. My job I am leaving pays only $10/hr so there is almost nowhere to go but up.

I've included a resume just in case anyone is looking, and I trust that no one will try to use the information included to my detriment. I know this is a long shot, but with the economy today I'm willing to try anything, and if I put a resume on Craigslist, why not a more familiar and comfortable website? Either way, I'm rambling so I'll get on with it.

----------

Jordan Bennett Wiener
(503) 449-5672
Address removed for security reasons; available on request
Portland, Oregon 97217
[email protected]

OBJECTIVE
Hard-working young Portland native seeks gainful full- or part-time employment in the Portland area.

EDUCATION
Grant High School
2001-2005

SKILLS
• Hard worker, physically fit and capable of lifting over 75 lbs.
• Fast learner, follows directions promptly and efficiently.
• Proficient with all areas of a commercial kitchen; dishwashing, prep, pantry, fry, sauté, and expeditor; good with knife work.
• Adept with many aspects of general labor; painting, basic carpentry, demolition, framing, wiring, tiling, drywall, etc.
• Experienced in and not opposed to the cleanup of deplorable living conditions, decomposing animal matter, etc.
• Enjoy working out-of-doors, very capable of walking or standing for extended periods of time.
• Work well with others, not overly sociable on the job.
• Able to think quickly and clearly under pressure.
• Native English speaker, communicates effectively through language barriers.

EMPLOYMENT HISTORY

March 2007-June 2010
Line Cook, Prep Cook, Dishwasher
Doug Fir Restaurant and Lounge
Initially started as a dishwasher, but within months advanced to the prep cook position and eventually through pantry/fry, expeditor and sauté cook.

June 2005-March 2007
Laborer
Brushfire Studios
Duties included all areas of rehabbing rental homes for sale, encompassing demolition, cleanup, construction, and refinishing

September 2006-January 2007
Pump Jockey
Vince’s Service Station 76
Duties included pumping gas, washing windows, checking oil, etc., as well as giving directions and travel advice. Also, handling of cash, credit card machines, general cleaning, and closing.

January 2006-July 2006
Dishwasher
McMenamin’s Kennedy School
Duties included washing dishes, bussing tables, cleaning, and basic prep cooking.

September 2005-January 2006
Retail Sales Associate
City Liquidators
Duties included sales of office furniture, home furniture, bric-a-brac, etc., in
addition to warehouse and delivery van work.

Summer 1999-September 2005
Roaster/Retail Sales Associate
Faseolo Home Roast Supply
Duties included the roasting, blending, production, packaging, and sales of gourmet coffee beans and coffee accessories.

----------

Thank you for your time, and if this is inappropriate for this forum please let me know and I am sorry.

Sincerely,
Jordan

Wow, even in today's tough market, I was back working three days after ending my last job! Thanks for the ideas everybody, but you're now talking to the guy who makes the Whiffie's Fried Pies for the food cart at 12th and Hawthorne.

Wow, even in today's tough market, I was back working three days after ending my last job! Thanks for the ideas everybody, but you're now talking to the guy who makes the Whiffie's Fried Pies for the food cart at 12th and Hawthorne.

:s0155:

That'll be such a blast... one of the things I miss about Portland (although I have to admit I dine at Potato Champion far more often than Whiffie's)

Have you thought about going back to school? In three years you could be an RN starting at about $27 an hour + full bennies. I know RNs in management (supervisors) who make more than $40 an hour after a few years. There are lots of job openings for them right now...

Have you thought about going back to school? In three years you could be an RN starting at about $27 an hour + full bennies. I know RNs in management (supervisors) who make more than $40 an hour after a few years. There are lots of job openings for them right now...

If only it were that simple anymore... RN hiring has plummeted (article is data-poor, but the picture is clear) and nursing schools have been bursting at the seams for a few years now, pumping out more graduates than the market can accomodate. Becoming an RN is still a great idea for the long-term, it gives you tons of flexibility, and the opportunity to make truly great money if you go on to become a nurse practitioner, nurse anesthetist, etc. Right now, though, it's not a great route to immediate job stability - not like it used to be. Not as bad as law school, but not great.

If only it were that simple anymore... RN hiring has plummeted (article is data-poor, but the picture is clear) and nursing schools have been bursting at the seams for a few years now, pumping out more graduates than the market can accomodate. Becoming an RN is still a great idea for the long-term, it gives you tons of flexibility, and the opportunity to make truly great money if you go on to become a nurse practitioner, nurse anesthetist, etc. Right now, though, it's not a great route to immediate job stability - not like it used to be. Not as bad as law school, but not great.

Nurses are still in demand here. Please remember the shifts have to be covered 24/7 and they work in many specialties. About 1/2 of RNs don't work with patients. They work in offices reviewing charts, monitoring patient safety, etc.

It's amazing how many office jobs in a hospital require an RN.

It must depend on where you are.

Members are allowed to ask whatever they want for items posted in the classified sections. If you don't like the price of an item, simply move on. Posting negative comments will result in the revocation of your classified privileges.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top