JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This summer when construction season is in full swing and I have some money one of the things I want to up grade are my Binoculars.

To this end I thought I would ask what if any models guys/gals here think highly of.

My needs are

8-10 power
40-50mm objective lens
roof prism
quick focus a plus
tripod mount a plus
rubber coated a plus

Brands I am interested in are Nikon, Pentax, Bushnell

Budget up to $175.00

Not looking for compacts but mid size would be nice.

Available local (Salem to Portland) would be a plus I would prefer to look through a pair before I buy.

If you have recommendations please be specific as to model numbers etc.

I'm thinking that you might want to increase your budget a wwee bit. Say a $100 or so?

I don't know about that.

I'm not sure what the use is for or what size he wants. Makes a difference in my opinion, and I know for a fact that you can get good quality glass for the price range he mentions. I did a lot of research and on a budget @ 5 years back I bought a pair of 10 x 50 Nikon Action Binoculars to replace my Bushnell 7 x 35's for right about $100 even and except for the weight, they stack up with about anything I've seen and I've seen a lot of them. But the downside is that they are heavy. I permaloaned them to my mom a few months back when she got old and moved into a riverview/mountainview high rise, she absolutely loves them. As I wanted her to keep them I went and bought another pair of the more expensive Nikon Monarchs after looking at glowing reviews and much researching. The Monarchs are similar objective lens size but physically smaller and cost more than twice as much, but the clarity is same same.

I have a bunch of glass for a bunch of different reasons. For example, I often hike far out into backcounty alone - steep slopes with no people, no trails, no cell phone reception, and I want NO weight (cause I'm getting old) and don't even want to carry a pair of binoculars, so I have these various little monoculars that I pick up for under $20. They will reach out, are cheap, surprisingly good although there is shake, and best of all very light. Somewhat limited, but for the price, who cares. I even will haul my Hensolt (Zeiss's military subsidiary) G3 4x riflescope out on occasion if I can take the extra weight.

For binocs, I think that the Steiner Predators are a good compromise for quality vs weight and they make good glass (but as Jerry said, add $100 or so) So, if weight is an issue, get a pair of Steiner Predators, you'll pay a lot more but you won't get better glass than the cheaper Nikon Actions in my view. But it depends what you are doing. For example, check out the min focusing distance. Some will not focus close in, and if you are a bird watcher that's not a good thing. I'm not, (although I spend a lot of time watching them, it's not my objective) but my brother and his wife are, so when we go out, he'd be better off bringing his glass as I'm trying to look 2 ridges over, and he's looking at as close as 10 feet out. Sorry to inundate you Mark, but one more thing you should read is Larry Vickers surprising views on binocs, and I won't spoil it except to post the very first sentence.
"As my friends know one of my passions in life is high end optics."
High end doesn't always mean more money. I don't think you get even x2 the quality when you spend x20 times more like on a pair of Swarski binocs.

Link: <broken link removed>

If you have time, and not money, I'd go Vickers way. Good luck!

Vortex
Life time warranty and they do have good glass
That's a life time warranty with our stupidity in mind.No fault type warranty
Kid throws it off the cliff cause it flies? Good to go
At least check them out

Redfield Rebel 8x32. I couldn't find much on a scientific basis for comparison, but I remembered Redfield from my more youthful days, and when Leupold brought them back, well I took the plunge. My buddy swears by his Schwariski's but seems to borrow my Redfields alot. Not on your list, but, worth considering (IMHO).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top