JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Between the m4 and the 1301, there are NO bad choices. Do note that the m4 comes with an 18.5" barrel and there are no longer barrels available. I'm not familiar enough with the 1301 to know if there are longer barrel options, but if a longer barrel is important to you, it's something to look into.

Also note that the Remington Versa Max has gotten pretty good reviews and it's supposedly a clone of the m4 gas system since the m4 patents expired. This gun does have longer barrel options and there used to be a 3 Gun and tactical version...but I have no idea of the status of things since Remington went into bankruptcy. Might be worth looking into as I'm sure it's cheaper than the m4. The Versa Max is also US produced so you won't have 922R issues to contend with...more on that below.

Lastly, be aware that any imported shotgun is going to fall under Federal 922R guidelines. This means they will come from the factory, limited to five rounds and that if you want to swap out the magazine with a larger American aftermarket magazine, you will also likely need to change a couple of other components to keep the gun 922R compliant...if that type of thing is important to you.

I know the m4 falls into this category as it is definitely an imported shotgun. I assume the 1301 is imported too unless Beretta has a factory in the US where they build them. The point, however, is it will cost you a few hundred bucks more for the appropriate after market components, so make sure you budget that into your calculations.

Freedom Fighter Tactical and Carrier Comp both have white papers up on their websites that explain and details the intricacies of 922R. Carrier Comp, hands down makes the best mag tube for the m4 but there are some other decent options for a bit less money.

I'm going to throw a different consideration your way, Carmel Sig, and one not usually tip-of-the-tongue when talking about shotguns: Weatherby. Not sure what your budget is, but the Weatherby Element Deluxe is a particularly fine choice in the $500 to $600 range, and of course Weatherby has an excellent reputation for customer service. I would also second TTSX's recommendation that you consider 20 gauge. The Element Deluxe in 20 gauge is a truly great combo. Here's a commercial pic of that gun:

1648709165833.png

Something else to consider on the Rock Island VR-80 (12 gauge) or VR-82 (20 gauge) is that they accept AR grips and stocks, so you could put something like a F.A.B. Defense GL-Shock stock on it to reduce felt recoil even more.

That said, you really can't go wrong with an M4, assuming you can afford one.

Since recoil is a motivation here...
I would suggest that whatever you get , make sure the stock as well as the overall shotgun , fits you.
A firearm with a poorly designed stock / one that doesn't fit you , will be uncomfortable to shoot.
Andy

Since recoil is a motivation here...
I would suggest that whatever you get , make sure the stock as well as the overall shotgun , fits you.
A firearm with a poorly designed stock / one that doesn't fit you , will be uncomfortable to shoot.
Andy
Second this.

I'm a big M4 fan.
Fwiw - A box stock M4 stock is a tad to long for some folks. Mesa's stocks shorten things up a bit.
I switched back to a traditional field stock and fat 'ol limbsaver and couldn't be happier.

Fwiw - A box stock M4 stock is a tad to long for some folks. Mesa's stocks shorten things up a bit.
I switched back to a traditional field stock and fat 'ol limbsaver and couldn't be happier.
I love Mesa stocks! Their 12.5" pull is perfect for me, let's me lean into the gun and better balance for my body. Whether an M4 or 1301 (or something else - great suggestions in this thread), I'll be looking to have a Mesa stock on there...

The above suggestions are great.
Only suggestion: No cheap Turkish stuff. Though the price is tempting, many are absolute junk.
Under 500 rounds and in 3 seperate Turkish semi autos I had extreme wear. So bad Ill never buy a Turkish shotgun again.
YMMV, but that was my personal experience. Absolute junk.

And this coming from a Taurus advocate.. so that truly says something :s0114:

The above suggestions are great.
Only suggestion: No cheap Turkish stuff. Though the price is tempting, many are absolute junk.
Under 500 rounds and in 3 seperate Turkish semi autos I had extreme wear. So bad Ill never buy a Turkish shotgun again.
YMMV, but that was my personal experience. Absolute junk.

And this coming from a Taurus advocate.. so that truly says something :s0114:
Yeah, that's surprising tbh.

I've seen and heard people disparaging Turkish-made guns before, but haven't met anyone who actually had specific issues like that.

Never had a problem with my RIA VR-80 when I owned it.

Hope my CZ shotgun (o/u) is alright.

Yeah, that's surprising tbh.

I've seen and heard people disparaging Turkish-made guns before, but haven't met anyone who actually had specific issues like that.

Never had a problem with my RIA VR-80 when I owned it.

Hope my CZ shotgun (o/u) is alright.
And its only because they literally tore themselves apart. 3 separate shotguns, Ive never seen such a thing before. But I felt absolutely cheated. I blame poor design and inferior metal usage. Honestly with the metal issues: it worries me when it comes to the Girsan line of pistols. I want to get their 92 clone and their 1911, 10mm hunter model.

The shotguns in question:
Centurion BP12 (x2)
(Technically 3, never fired final replacement)
This includes the Charles Daly original, its the same exact shotgun minus a few aesthetic differences which often costs an extra 100-200 more than the Centurion.
Panzer Arms BP12

I implore anyone owning those shotguns check their internals thoroughly. After the Panzer I was done. I had hoped the more expensive model would prove me wrong but extreme receiver and part wear developed in under 300-500 rounds with each firearm.
If someone owns one and its running fine, good luck! (Check those internals) YMMV! Perhaps I just got a few lemons, but for me it was 3 strikes and Im out.

And its only because they literally tore themselves apart. 3 separate shotguns, Ive never seen such a thing before. But I felt absolutely cheated. I blame poor design and inferior metal usage. Honestly with the metal issues: it worries me when it comes to the Girsan line of pistols. I want to get their 92 clone and their 1911, 10mm hunter model.

The shotguns in question:
Centurion BP12 (x2)
(Technically 3, never fired final replacement)
This includes the Charles Daly original, its the same exact shotgun minus a few aesthetic differences which often costs an extra 100-200 more than the Centurion.
Panzer Arms BP12

I implore anyone owning those shotguns check their internals thoroughly. After the Panzer I was done. I had hoped the more expensive model would prove me wrong but extreme receiver and part wear developed in under 300-500 rounds with each firearm.
If someone owns one and its running fine, good luck! (Check those internals) YMMV! Perhaps I just got a few lemons, but for me it was 3 strikes and Im out.
You couldn't warranty them? That sounds defective to me, way too much wear for 500 rounds.

You couldn't warranty them? That sounds defective to me, way too much wear for 500 rounds.
Oh I did. Two with the Centurion. Two full replacements and the 3rd that I didnt fire and simply sold with a warning to the buyer.
Admittedly, I did not do it with the Panzer, I was done and sold all the "working" parts less the receiver. Ebay sale went quick too.
I still have a centurion BP12 choke set left over (that has not sold). But most all the spare parts through ebay, one friend or another have bought what I had so it wasnt a total loss. But still, absolute junk guns.

I'd like to see what your carry rig looks like with all those magazines.
Anyway, If that setup works for you then go with it.
Gun choices are a diversity I can celebrate
Luggin a schitte-ton of shottie mags isn't something I would care to do in a real shoot-out... I'll carry either an AK, AR, or FAL, TYVM!:s0041: A South Afrikan Street-Sweeper would be OK if firing from a vehicle too, I suppose..

My suggestion is to go with a Browning A5, the first successful semi-auto shotgun made. Can't argue with the design and longevity!

View attachment 1158748
40-50 year's ago, there was a gun shop on the Beaverton Hillsdale Hwy.
Nick's Guns. Nick stocked a lot of high, to very high end guns.

Nick was a shotgun guy, and he could well afford anything he wanted.
At each end of the counter, out of sight, but very easy to reach, was a short barreled Browning A-5, readily available should the need arise.
👍👍
Best,

Gary

Yes, I agree that if you're in a balls to the wall guns a-blazing war...
Have never had b@lls but it seems to me that in a serious self defense situation unzipping and positioning b@lls on the wall would not be the optimal strategy. I'd suggest instead using the wall for cover, resting gun on the wall, or running away and saving b@lls for a better day.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top