JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm considering adding a semiautomatic to complement my pump action shotgun for home defense. Motivation is the claimed lower recoil from the gas piston system. Given my age - still feel great but my shoulders aren't getting younger - it may be a smart way of anticipating future limitations.

Thinking is to go for a Benelli M4 given its vaunted reputation for reliability, though the Beretta 1301 tactical is cheaper and can be had with the excellent Mesa Tactical Urbino stock (which I'd have to buy separately if I went M4, increasing the price gap). Any pros/cons on M4 vs 1301 or other alternatives would be especially helpful, along with your personal experience with semiauto reliability and maintenance needs.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts or coaching!

Last Edited:
I have a couple Mossberg 930's that have run flawlessly for me, running full load high brass and lower powered low brass upland game/target loads. There seems to be a pretty decent aftermarket for them as well.

BB71437E-38CC-4001-B7A7-258367CE00E9.jpeg

I read all kinds of complaints with the Mossberg 930 when I was looking into buying a Semi-automatic shotgun back in 2011 and 2012. Some people were not having any issues at all and some people where complaining a lot. I bought a FN 18" SLP instead back in 2012. FN has since discontinued their SLP shotgun line so If I cannot get replacement parts for my SLP, I will buy a Berreta 1301 tactical instead. I am sure the Benelli M4 is a great shotgun but it is too pricey for me unless money was no object.

Last Edited:
Another thing to think about if you anticipate recoil becoming an issue is to locate something in 20ga. I wouldn't hesitate to look at something more oriented to hunting with a shorter barrel you can swap in and less tactical. You'll pay a tactical tax and lots of animals can attest to the lethality of hunting shotguns

I'm considering adding a semiautomatic to complement my pump action shotgun for home defense. Motivation is the claimed lower recoil from the gas piston system. Given my age - still feel great but my shoulders aren't getting younger - it may be a smart way of anticipating future limitations.

Thinking is to go for a Benelli M4 given its vaunted reputation for reliability, though the Beretta 1301 tactical is cheaper and can be had with the excellent Mesa Tactical Urbino stock (which I'd have to buy separately if I went M4, increasing the price gap). Any pros/cons on M4 vs 1301 or other alternatives would be especially helpful, along with your personal experience with semiauto reliability and maintenance needs.

To each his own but $1700 for a low capacity shotgun is not for me (excluding high quality double barrels/over and under for hunting/trap etc). Capacity is a key limiting factor for shotguns imo so when reload is slow that's a major drawback for me. I like the 12 round low profile drums found in saiga 12 and their clones (Fe lynx 12). Rate of fire on these are about like an AR or so. Stick mags in 8, 10, 12 are also available. Drums in 15, 20, 25, and 30 rounds are also available but they get big and heavy once you get past 12 round size (imo). Have owned a pump for like 30 years or whatever also and they are of course very reliable.

Example of rate of fire of Saiga 12 or a clone with 20 (25?) round drum:
Just an example and may not be for everyone but the lynx 12 total cost is $724 for everything shown excluding transfer and background check. Left side charging handle version costs $70ish more.
0D3180E9-5CFE-4B5D-95EC-2DE2D74DEFE7.jpeg

Last Edited:
To each his own but $1700 for a low capacity shotgun is not for me (excluding high quality double barrels/over and under for hunting/trap etc). Capacity is a key limiting factor for shotguns imo so when reload is slow that's a major drawback for me. I like the 12 round low profile drums found in saiga 12 and their clones (Fe lynx 12). Rate of fire on these are about like an AR or so. Stick mags in 8, 10, 12 are also available. Drums in 15, 20, 25, and 30 rounds are also available but they get big and heavy once you get past 12 round size (imo). Have owned a pump for like 30 years or whatever also and they are of course very reliable.

Example of rate of fire of Saiga 12 or a clone with 20 (25?) round drum:
Just an example and may not be for everyone but the lynx 12 total cost is $724 for everything shown excluding transfer and background check. Left side charging handle version costs $70ish more.
View attachment 1158697
Slow reload? Use constant reloading Shoot, feed one in. Takes practice of course and you really need to have your shell carriers secure so you're not groping around trying to find shells but it does work and it certainly makes switching to a slug easier than dealing with magazines.

The 1301 is a bit lighter and somewhat better with lighter loads while the Benelli M4 is heavier and better suited for heavier loads like slugs, being that of a combat shotgun. I like my Benelli M4 very much, and I do intend on getting a 1301 as they are very solid as well. If possible try both and see what you like best and go from there.

Take a look at the CZ 712 Utility
Great, lightweight semi-auto that is very hand and with a softer recoil than most. $499
I keep mine in our RV

Another vote here for the 930. I long ago made a safe queen out of my last defensive shotgun in favor of PCC's but, the 930 has been calling me many a time. They are one hell of a nice gun for those wanting a semi shotty for home use.

Had a 930 for years, didn't put a large amount of rounds through it. But it was very reliable from my experience also. Never modified it but there seemed to be decent aftermarket for it as mentioned. It eventually just lost my interest is all. But for someone in the market for a HD shotgun it's a solid option.

Look up the RIA VR-82. It's a 20 gauge detachable magazine (5, 10, or 20 round) semi-auto shotgun. Comes with irons and there's plenty of rail space if you want to add a red dot and/or light. My wife has one as her home defense gun.

I read all kinds of complaints with the Mossberg 930 when I was looking into buying a Semi-automatic shotgun back in 2011 and 2012. Some people were not having any issues at all and some people where complaining a lot. I bought a FN 18" SLP instead back in 2012. FN has since discontinued their SLP shotgun line so If I cannot get replacement parts for my SLP, I will buy a Berreta 1301 tactical instead. I am sure the Benelli M4 is a great shotgun but it is too pricey for me unless money was no object.
I was going to buy a Benelli for the same reason, to get away from the recoil of my pump gun. I was walking thru BMart one day a year ago and they had the Mossberg 930 for 700.00 so I thought I'd try one even after reading all the reviews of problems over the years. I'm glad I took the gamble since I have not found any ammo it won't run, I've run everything from low brass low power loads up to heavy magnums through it without any problems and was able to buy a nice supply of slugs and shot loads with the money I saved. I think Mossberg addressed quality issues several years back, I still see BiMart has them in stock quite often.

Slow reload? Use constant reloading Shoot, feed one in. Takes practice of course and you really need to have your shell carriers secure so you're not groping around trying to find shells but it does work and it certainly makes switching to a slug easier than dealing with magazines.
IMO a tube fed gun is very slow to reload compared to a high capacity mag-fed gun. Lets say you have 5+1 shots in a tube fed gun and you fire those until empty (which can happen fast), then you are down to a single shot gun if you do single reload and fire, or a 3 shot gun per reload if you are extremely skilled. So compare the times for a high capacity magazine fed shotgun vs tube fed:

1) In the video above the Saiga shoots 20 rounds in 3.3 seconds (reposted at bottom here fYI)

2) 20 shots with tube-fed for one of the fastest shooters in the world takes 13 seconds reloading time plus whatever shooting time: (2.6 seconds to load 3 shells, 20 shots would require 5 reloads, 5 * 2.6 = 13 seconds + shooting time)

3-shell reload by national champion:

tube fed three rounds.JPG

3) 20 shots by a trained shooter using 1 shot and fire technique would take 20.58 seconds plus shooting time: (1.47 seconds per shell, 14 reloads * 1.47 sec = 20.58 seconds + shooting time)

tube feed single round reload.JPG

Compare to high capacity mag-fed (3.3 seconds total)

saiga 12.JPG

Last Edited:
IMO a tube fed gun is very slow to reload compared to a high capacity mag-fed gun. Lets say you have 5+1 shots in a tube fed gun and you fire those until empty (which can happen fast), then you are down to a single shot gun if you do single reload and fire, or a 3 shot gun per reload if you are extremely skilled. So compare the times for a high capacity magazine fed shotgun vs tube fed:

1) In the video above the Saiga shoots 20 rounds in 3.3 seconds (reposted at bottom here fYI)

2) 20 shots with tube-fed for one of the fastest shooters in the world takes 13 seconds reloading time plus whatever shooting time: (2.6 seconds to load 3 shells, 20 shots would require 5 reloads, 5 * 2.6 = 13 seconds + shooting time)

3-shell reload by national champion:

View attachment 1158858

3) 20 shots by a trained shooter using 1 shot and fire technique would take 20.58 seconds plus shooting time: (1.47 seconds per shell, 14 reloads * 1.47 sec = 20.58 seconds + shooting time)

View attachment 1158859

Compare to high capacity mag-fed (3.3 seconds total)

View attachment 1158857
My point is you can constantly top off a tube-magazine. Its also much faster at switching to a slug if you need to
Yes, I agree that if you're in a balls to the wall guns a-blazing war then absolutely a mag fed shotgun will be way faster to reload but really, if you are in that situation you probably should have brought a rifle.

Just get it over with and buy an AA-12 semi auto the recoil is very low and so is the interest on home equity loans.........

I'll let you find the videos on Utube

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top